+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Re: Home improvement hell

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3062528;
    How big is your back yard? As long as you pile stuff neatly and no higher than twice the height of your roof, you should be OK.
    you didn't mention the tarps with the ropes and bricks to cover the stuff...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

How about writing to some of those home improvement shows like Mission Organization. They manage to get everyone's stuff stored not only neatly, but stylishly too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Lois, we have a small ancient house ourselves, and a few things we have done are buy a queen size bed (Ikea) with drawers underneath, buy a couple of wooden file cabinets to replace a dresser (the deeper drawers are excellent for bulkier and out-of-season clothing, plus they are narrower and higher than a standard dresser), put shelves over a door and a window for reference books, put up a high shelf in the room that acts as my closet to put baskets on and get footstools that are, in essence, small suede covered trunks. All this on top of getting rid of a lot of stuff.

Oh yeah, I also got these excellent skirt hangers that hold four skirts. They're hard to describe, but in the space that would normally be taken up by five hangers, I can hang twenty skirts.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your great ideas (well, maybe not Newf's... ). I never get picked for contests, so I won't hold my breath on those home shows (although I might just write them so they can prove me wrong! What the heck? I have nothing to lose!) But in the meantime, I love the idea of freestanding cabinets. And Rattus, I think I need to do what you did and make sure that everything in that room is multitasking...it's an ottoman AND a storage chest.

As I have been going through stuff over the past few days, I have found quite a few things that I can part with. I do need to purge more... And it certainly won't pain me to recycle my "collection" of shopping bags. Granted, they're decorated nicely and festive, but why the heck do I need to have all these cluttering up a closet?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3062972;
    And it certainly won't pain me to recycle my "collection" of shopping bags. Granted, they're decorated nicely and festive, but why the heck do I need to have all these cluttering up a closet?!
    Don't get rid of your shopping bags! You can use them for storage. I lived in my grandparents' very old house with two "petite" closets for a long time and I feel your pain. At one point, the second bedroom in that house was my office. I purchased a rolling garment rack and hung clothing on that and stored a lot of other stuff in shopping bags and baskets. Under-the-bed storage containers (giant plastic bins) are GREAT for sweaters and out-of-season clothes.

Another idea is storage that hangs over the back of a door. I had a shoe rack on the back of my closet door (and was horrified to find out that it didn't fit on the door of our new house!!!). Rattus' idea about storage ottomans is great too.

I also have a few collapsible crates - they are plastic and fold up easily and are great for storage.

Good luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

We have a small one-bedroom apartment. We just got rid of stuff.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Gabriel's right, you can buy wardrobes and other free-standing cabinets. I grew up in an old Victorian house with tiny closets, and my dad wound up building bigger closets in three of the bedrooms. So you can try that if it's affordable and you have big rooms.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I also have an old house, so I feel your pain! I converted one of the bedrooms into a home office and used Kitchen Cabinets. If you go down to Home Depot or Lowes, the stock cabinets aren't that expensive... I created an L-shaped work area in a corner and hung cabinets over the desk and a table I used to create the L. They provide plenty of space for office supplies and then some... I also used undercabinet lighting to light up the work area...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Hey everyyone, thank you all for sharing your experiences! I think for now, we are going to work on making more storage space in the bedroom that will be working as my office. We can spring for cabinets etc. from Ikea or Lowe's or what not (and then get our master bedroom closets remodeled maybe next year or so.) That will help solve a lot of problems. I've already got 4 huge shopping bags of clothes set aside to give to whoever wants them (family members will get first dibs, then friends and then Goodwill). I didn't have that many things that were unsuitable for donations (except a gnarly pair of gym shoes from a million years ago...and I saved these why?!).

Oh, and not that you're all waiting to hear about it, but thanks to a lot of great suggestions about sealing, repainting and lighting, our scary basement is actually not so bad now. No one would mistake it for a showroom, but it's relatively clean (we got out all the spiderwebs etc.--I just got those out using a Shop Vac) and much brighter now with the coat of fresh paint. I also forced Mr. Lane to through out some old boxes that were just taking up room and not being used for much of anything and we recycled those, which saved some room as well. (I think sometimes we "temporarily" store things away intending on getting to it later and then forget about it.) Mr. Lane is going to work on setting up an indoor garden so that we can continue to have fresh vegetables during the winter. I'm very excited about that. And plants always add a little life and color to a drab room!

So thank you all!

Has anyone ever installed a shower head on an old claw-footed, non-shower tub? My mother wants to put a shower on hers, but all she can find is a $600 kit for a room with a 12-foot ceiling, much higher than hers. My own apartment has a claw-foot tub (which I love) with a shower attached, and a metal ring suspended from the ceiling to hold the shower curtain. Mine does not look at all like it cost $600, but we can't find anything similar at Lowe's or Home Depot. Any advice? She's not looking for just a nozzle thing, by the way. We used to have that and it didn't work very well.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread