+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Home improvement hell

Actually, lighting and paint would do wonders...and it's simple and cheap! Why didn't I think of that?! I'm so glad the floor is at least concrete. We do have a crawlspace that has a dirt floor, but I don't go in there. I'm too much of a wimp--I'm afraid of what I may run into. Thanks you guys! I think we will sort out all the stuff that can be recycled, thrown out and donated. Once that's out of the basement, we can clean, paint and add more bright lighting... then de-cobweb (I don't think we have any black widow spiders here but now that you've mentioned it, I'll make sure hubby deals with that part!!!)...straighten up and just try to make it look like less of a cesspool. We have a cleaning lady who cleans our house, but there is no way I would inflict our basement on her!!!!

Rent a paint sprayer, sprayer EVERYTHING white - walls, ceilings. Install some inexpensive fluorescent lighting.

If the floor is concrete, you might just want to clean it, and seal it.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2815570;
    Actually, lighting and paint would do wonders...and it's simple and cheap! Why didn't I think of that?! I'm so glad the floor is at least concrete. We do have a crawlspace that has a dirt floor, but I don't go in there. I'm too much of a wimp--I'm afraid of what I may run into. Thanks you guys! I think we will sort out all the stuff that can be recycled, thrown out and donated. Once that's out of the basement, we can clean, paint and add more bright lighting... then de-cobweb (I don't think we have any black widow spiders here but now that you've mentioned it, I'll make sure hubby deals with that part!!!)...straighten up and just try to make it look like less of a cesspool. We have a cleaning lady who cleans our house, but there is no way I would inflict our basement on her!!!!
    Now I'm worried about you, Lois. I'm an arachnophobic big-time, so when I think of you and/or your hubby having to deal with cobwebs and what may lurk near them..... okay, first of all.....

Secondly, and most importantly.... please please please be careful! Wear gloves to protect your fingers from any bites (), and one of those paper nose/mouth masks to prevent breathing in any mold that may have formed in a humid area of the basement.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I don't even know what sealing is...but would that help the paint color stay on the concrete floor? 'Cause the last time we painted the basement floor, it looked pretty washed up shortly thereafter.

I was hoping that Corky (the WonderCat) would debug the basement...but his only interest is rodents! (And we haven't had any of those in a couple years--THANK GOODNESS!!! I can deal with spiders...but not with those critters!!!!) Luckily, Mr. Lane isn't afraid of anything. So I point and squeal (yes, I am an embarrassment to the female gender!) and he takes care of it. Corky is just amused by me and sometimes gives me that Mona look...like, "Oh dear..."

I do have one of those face mask things. I have to wear it in the basement 'cause of my allergies... I also have gloves!!! Thanks for the reminder! I love our house, but this is when I envy my friends who moved into new houses--their finished basements make me drool!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2815705;
    I don't even know what sealing is...but would that help the paint color stay on the concrete floor? 'Cause the last time we painted the basement floor, it looked pretty washed up shortly thereafter.

I was hoping that Corky (the WonderCat) would debug the basement...but his only interest is rodents! (And we haven't had any of those in a couple years--THANK GOODNESS!!! I can deal with spiders...but not with those critters!!!!) Luckily, Mr. Lane isn't afraid of anything. So I point and squeal (yes, I am an embarrassment to the female gender!) and he takes care of it. Corky is just amused by me and sometimes gives me that Mona look...like, "Oh dear..."

I do have one of those face mask things. I have to wear it in the basement 'cause of my allergies... I also have gloves!!! Thanks for the reminder! I love our house, but this is when I envy my friends who moved into new houses--their finished basements make me drool!
    Concrete is pourous so it will soak up paint. If you seal it first, then the paint that you paint later, will stay better. You can buy special concrete paint as well. I would definetly buy that as it also has kind of a glossy sheen to it. That way you dont' have to seal the paint coat after you paint. And you can get it in colors too. It's easy to apply. I recall we used a roller to paint our concrete porch floor.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2816211;
    Concrete is pourous so it will soak up paint. If you seal it first, then the paint that you paint later, will stay better. You can buy special concrete paint as well. I would definetly buy that as it also has kind of a glossy sheen to it. That way you dont' have to seal the paint coat after you paint. And you can get it in colors too. It's easy to apply. I recall we used a roller to paint our concrete porch floor.
    I would if painting a concrete floor, have it etched with muriatic acid first, (BEWARE - This must be done in a VERY WELL ventilated place.) Maybe there is something out there less lethal than muriatic. If you paint the floor, add silica sand to make it non slip in case it gets wet, although some of the concrete deck paints they have now might have it right in there.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2816235;
    I would if painting a concrete floor, have it etched with muriatic acid first, (BEWARE - This must be done in a VERY WELL ventilated place.) Maybe there is something out there less lethal than muriatic. If you paint the floor, add silica sand to make it non slip in case it gets wet, although some of the concrete deck paints they have now might have it right in there.
    THere are paints available with no slip stuff in them.

It isn't necessary to use the muratic acid first as long as you use a good sealer.

We have done this, but not in a basement, on a concrete patio that got a lot of the weather on it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Does anyone have space saving hints?

Does anyone have tips on how to store things more efficiently in your home? We have a very old house, so while the rooms are pretty big for the time they were built, the closets are PETITE!! I've already done the purging of the closet and donated tons of clothes and shoes that I no longer wear. I've thrown out things that aren't fit to be donated!!! I'm not a hoarder...quite the contrary--I like to keep a house free of tchotkes etc. BUT, I'm running out of closet space. We have 3 bedrooms and we're converting one into a home office 'cause I will be able to telecommute to work 3 days a week. I'll need the closet in the "office" to store business-related material, a filing cabinet, fax machine etc. So I need to move all the things that are in that closet to some place else. I saw those space saver things on commercials where they squish your bedding into plastic bags--but it says it needs to be done every year, and you can't store feather things in there (we have more down pillows and comforters than two people should!). Short of giving everything away (and I know I will have to purge a little more still), can anyone recommend what you all did or bought to help create more storage space without moving? Thank you!

What about free standing wardrobe or other cabinets? The old days people had cabinets galore!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

How big is your back yard? As long as you pile stuff neatly and no higher than twice the height of your roof, you should be OK.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread