+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Re: Home improvement hell

sigh .. on second viewing we have decided that the house, although it is in the right place is just not a good investment for us, the cons out-weighed the pros.
    we've waited over a year .. if we wait a little longer who knows what will come on the market.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Good luck Duxxy - I have been waiting over a decade to move - but that is because of the kids.

one of these days - Condo, here I come

katgib: Oh my, it sounds like you are right in the middle of things too! I wish I was getting new fixtures too!

gabriel: That's a good suggestion, but I don't know Mr. Holmes and it costs money to get someone professional in. I need Mr. Free-Available-and-Competent! But I dont' have his number

Duxxy: The right home will come along and you will find more pros than cons. And you will be able to sleep better at night knowing it was better to wait. Good luck!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Need basement help

Anyhow, we've spent quite a bit of money remodeling our old, old house and it looks quite nice. Except the basement. Do any of you have old, grotty basements? I'm talking about the kind that are very very old and are too small to invest money for any major remodeling. Our basement isn't the kind of basement that can be turned into liveable living space. It's not the place you'd send kids down to play in...unless you hated them!

Realistically, I know our basement will never be a place that will look as nice as the rest of our house. But that's where our washer/dryer and some stored items are. Do any of you have hints on how you've made your gross basements more pleasant to be in when you're doing the laundry etc.? I just want it to be tidy and organized and a little less gross. This spring, we have to clean out a lot of the crap that's accumulated in there (e.g. boxes we no longer need etc.). I also need to label bins of things so we don't keep buying what we already have. Our cat likes to play down here so I'd like it to be nicer for him, too...he wouldn't lower himself to kill any of the bugs we get in there...I could deal with less cobwebs in there as well! I hate dealing with those!

We've got bakers racks to stack crap on...but maybe enclosed cabinets would look nicer. I don't know...Any hints would be appreciated!

I dunno Lois, but a lot depends on the height of the ceiling and if there are windows. You can dry wall and paint and make it a little nicer. I just spent 2 hours today with flooring people I want to have some hardwood resanded, including stairways. You'd think I was asking for the Panama Canal to be rebuilt.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

We had our hardwood floors resanded and I know exactly what you mean. What a fricking ordeal!

We have a few windows in the basement. The spiders seem particularly fond of them. We also have a concrete floor in the basement and a really old gross sink by the washer/dryer. I think the cat's litterbox is the most attractive thing about our basement!

Seriously, I guess a good spring cleaning will do the area a world of good...and maybe dusting some of the junk that's in there. Yuck. My allergies go insane down there...

Tread lightly Lois Lane. Basements are dark and cool and black widows enjoy living there. If you are going to spring clean, use gloves and be sure to use a vacuum to suck up spider webs whenever possible. I was bit by a black widow cleaning under a bed of all places! Yikes! and my hand swelled up to a catcher's mit!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Do any of you have hints on how you've made your gross basements more pleasant to be in when you're doing the laundry etc.?
    Lots of lighting brightens any space
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

A coat of paint also works wonders.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I am picturing my grandma's basement when Lois describes hers, it is a horror. Grandma's was half dirt because of the old coal chute. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Maybe lighting?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread