+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2293898;
    gabriel: I think the brick is very clean. It has never been outside or seen a real fire. Primer. Why does everything need primer?

rattus: Wow, That is a fabulous make-over. But it sounds a little bit more work than I could do myself. And the added concrete would definitely make it immoveable. I love how your rooms are turning into cozy wonderful places.

Onto another though. Since my bathroom is becoming a war zone, I was thinking of painting my grey plastic tiles. I could peel them off but that too would be a big and messy job leaving a lot of glue that would need sanding down and then paster, and primer, and .... Does anyone know if anybody has successfully painted plastic tiles and they actually looked ok? I'll have to ask at Home Depot.
    Sorry to disappoint you about this, but again, primer is required . I painted the ceramic tile in my bathroom as a temporary measure until we can gut the room, but it's been over three years and the paint is still adhering everywhere but one flat surface beside the sink where water accumulated under something that was sitting there. Anyway, I have had a huge amount of success with a primer called BIN, which I have used in many places including craft items like wooden planters. I'm assuming that the tile you're referring to is on the wall and not actually in the shower area, in which case I would recommend giving them a light sanding (since they're plastic), priming them, and then giving them a couple of coats of a good quality oil paint. If they're actually in the shower, unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do other than removing them or covering them with a tub surround (quite expensive). Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And remember to show us the before and after pictures.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2293898;
    gabriel: I think the brick is very clean. It has never been outside or seen a real fire. Primer. Why does everything need primer?

rattus: Wow, That is a fabulous make-over. But it sounds a little bit more work than I could do myself. And the added concrete would definitely make it immoveable. I love how your rooms are turning into cozy wonderful places.

Onto another though. Since my bathroom is becoming a war zone, I was thinking of painting my grey plastic tiles. I could peel them off but that too would be a big and messy job leaving a lot of glue that would need sanding down and then paster, and primer, and .... Does anyone know if anybody has successfully painted plastic tiles and they actually looked ok? I'll have to ask at Home Depot.

Primer merely prepares the surface to make the paint adhere better.

As for the tiles in the bathroom, I think you need to very lightly sand them to remove any shine, then wipe them off then prime, then paint. I 've heard of and in the past, seen plastic tiles that have been painted over but looked wonderful
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2290686;
    Not the most attractive fireplace, I know, but it's the best I could do with the least amount of work and money. That's right - I'm lazy and cheap.
    Rattus, your fireplace is an amazing transformation, and I admire your creativity. I think your room (wall color, etc) is really snazzy and looks professional -- honest. Great job! We painted black/white diamonds on our blah white fireplace that was pretty fun. I'll post a picture when I get the chance.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Rattus and gabriel: Thanks for the info. I guess primer is definitely in my future!

The plastic tiles are on the lower half of all walls and around the entire tub/shower. If I did sand, prime and paint, what would I do about the grout? Paint that too, or would I have to re-grout in white after it's painted?
    --------------

I wished I had taken a photo in my bathroom yesterday. I was sitting atop on a 6ft ladder in the bathtub. My Dad was on a 3ft stepladder at the doorway. The bathroom is not even 6 square feet.

Both of us had been chipping and scraping the ceiling to get off the remaining bits of layered paint and what we know believe to be some kind of glue for hours. After a few chosen words, my Dad has the most brilliant idea! (I knew I got my brilliance from him )

We got a couple of long candles, put paper towels around them and we lit them. Then we held them up to the ceiling just under the areas that were stuck till death to us part. Well, the heat started to melt the gluey bits and bubble so we could scrape it off from the plaster!

I told my Dad I felt like an archaeologist with a candle trying to decipher graphics on the ceiling of a cave. The light was fading outside and it was kinda eerie. Needless to say, it worked. We got the crap off the ceiling, with a few black carbon spots from the flames. (which can be painted over).

Now, I'm going to try to do the stuff left on the walls with my hairdryer. There's really not enough left to rent a heat machine thingy.

The photo would have been hilarious though!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2298379;
    Rattus and gabriel: Thanks for the info. I guess primer is definitely in my future!

The plastic tiles are on the lower half of all walls and around the entire tub/shower. If I did sand, prime and paint, what would I do about the grout? Paint that too, or would I have to re-grout in white after it's painted?
    I just painted the entire thing, grout and all. One benefit to that (other than not having to paint in the grout) is that it makes cleaning the walls so much easier.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Re: Home improvement hell

Ok. I have to confess. My tiny bathroom is not finished. I have had to stop and start for weeks now. Every time I plaster and then sand, I look again and see new places that need to be fixed up. Then I need to clean up the bathroom so it can be used.

I was just about ready to prime, using Home Depots' CIL Smart Prime - prime anything anywhere! Then, last night, I saw a chip in the paint on the back wall which hadn't been touched. Well, I had to go and get the trowel and touch it. Then I had to take the entire wall of paint off as well. The paint came off like eggshells.

Now I'm down to raw plaster there too! I just filled in the marks and there's a bad patch I can't get off.

Why is it that a seemingly little job turns out into a big one for me?

Oh, and in order to prime the raw plaster, I can't use the shower/tub for at least 3-4 days. I don't have another shower/bath in the house. I guess I'll be heading to my evil twin sinister's to use hers.

Gosh. I still want/need to paint the bedroom, hall, living and dining room and the den.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Ah MissKitty...I hear ya! Right now, our bathroom is looking pretty bad... We have half the floor ripped up, sheet rock on two walls and the ceiling and we have one wall that is down to the studs. We managed to get the new shower and the new mirror/medicine cabinet in. Hubby just needs to find time to rip out the sink, finish drywalling and then put the new sink in. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2412895;
    Ok. I have to confess. My tiny bathroom is not finished. I have had to stop and start for weeks now. Every time I plaster and then sand, I look again and see new places that need to be fixed up. Then I need to clean up the bathroom so it can be used.

I was just about ready to prime, using Home Depots' CIL Smart Prime - prime anything anywhere! Then, last night, I saw a chip in the paint on the back wall which hadn't been touched. Well, I had to go and get the trowel and touch it. Then I had to take the entire wall of paint off as well. The paint came off like eggshells.

Now I'm down to raw plaster there too! I just filled in the marks and there's a bad patch I can't get off.

Why is it that a seemingly little job turns out into a big one for me?

Oh, and in order to prime the raw plaster, I can't use the shower/tub for at least 3-4 days. I don't have another shower/bath in the house. I guess I'll be heading to my evil twin sinister's to use hers.

Gosh. I still want/need to paint the bedroom, hall, living and dining room and the den.
    If memory serves me correctly, you are in our great northern neighborhood of Canada. Can't you just call Holmes on Homes? Mike Holmes is great.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Ok - we are looking at buying this house. It's nothing special but it's in my dream neighbourhood. Nope - I don't dream of living with the 'high and mighty' s I dream of the quite family neighbourhood that is very close to town and my daughter's current school (school pop 220!) anyway....

It just doesn't pop, I want to paint that grey concrete wall (its so ugly!)

Colour suggestions please!!

oh the brick is red and those under-sized window boxes are the first things to go.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I'd probably paint the concrete to match the brick. I hope you get the house!

+ Reply to Thread