+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

misskitty, something else you can do with your fireplace if you don't like the brick is what I did, though it is a bit time consuming. First I painted it a couple of different colours but didn't like the results either time, so I bought some brown stone tiles and adhered them with tile glue around the opening. I then filled in all the space between the bricks with concrete so the surface was more or less flat. Then I smeared on a couple of coats of plaster Mediterranean-style over the concrete. The tiles around the opening were to bring the opening surround up to the level of the plaster. I then painted the plaster off-white (primed first) and rubbed a very light brown glaze over the finished surface to highlight the rough finish. I finished the whole think off with a mantle built with a pine board and some crown moulding. I will try to post before and after pictures when I get home later.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, you seem very creative and "arty". Care to visit Ohio for a few weeks? I could use the help.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2289884;
    Rattus, you seem very creative and "arty". Care to visit Ohio for a few weeks? I could use the help.
    I would, but honestly, I'm also quite lazy
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Per my earlier post, this is my fireplace in its original condition.
    Fireplace-Old.jpg

And this is it now.
    Fireplace-New.jpg

Not the most attractive fireplace, I know, but it's the best I could do with the least amount of work and money. That's right - I'm lazy and cheap.

Rattus, I think the fireplace the new way really brightens up the room. I'd be afraid to take on a job like that. I'm much more comfortable telling hubby what to do.

Rattus, you are talented. The after picture looks great. I think you did a wonderful job. I just wish I had a fireplace to try that with.

Rattus, it looks great and I love your wall color.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'm actually really happy with the way our little hovel is turning out. I should post a couple more before-and-afters, just because the before is just so unbelievably hideous. Just after we moved in, people were saying "so you really bought this place? huh, interesting" because they couldn't, in all politeness, say "you're nuts!". The absolute worst room was the one which now serves as my studio. Half the room was missing because the previous owners had bolted a giant chipboard/veneer dresser to one wall and built really poor quality 4 x 4 and pine panelling cupboards all around it. We filled an entire Got Junk truck with nothing but the wood we pulled out of the house, none of which we could use in the fireplace because it was all varnished.

Rattus, that looks a million times better! Not just the fireplace, but the floors and walls, too. Great job!

You've inspired me to do something with my old crappy brick fireplace...
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

gabriel: I think the brick is very clean. It has never been outside or seen a real fire. Primer. Why does everything need primer?

rattus: Wow, That is a fabulous make-over. But it sounds a little bit more work than I could do myself. And the added concrete would definitely make it immoveable. I love how your rooms are turning into cozy wonderful places.

Onto another though. Since my bathroom is becoming a war zone, I was thinking of painting my grey plastic tiles. I could peel them off but that too would be a big and messy job leaving a lot of glue that would need sanding down and then paster, and primer, and .... Does anyone know if anybody has successfully painted plastic tiles and they actually looked ok? I'll have to ask at Home Depot.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread