+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

My farmhouse is over 100 years old, so I definately know from home improvement

Your list sounds like a typical month for me John.

Got the house for a steal, and all the mechanicals had already been done (new well, septic, furnace, hot water heater, electrical service)

Since I've been in the house I've completely gutted the kitchen and installed new cabinets, a center island, tiled the countertops and papered/painted. Just help from family/friends on the heavy work and with the cabinets.

All the hardwood floors throughout were sanded and recoated (except for my bedroom, which I keep oiled instead - looks great)

Redid the handrails and banisters on the staircase.

Yanked really old paper off of everything (without tearing down the plaster and lathe - that was a project from hell) and repapered and painted the entire interior.

Took down a wall between two rooms to make a master suite.

One bathroom completely re-done (and one still to go)

And that's just the inside.

The barn got a concrete floor poured and new post supports installed to hold up the loft area. Completely insulated it, and the intent is to one day put an office/studio/"hang-out" room for my daughter and her frends up there. Still need to reshingle the outside of that.

The dirt cellar's been cleaned and shoveled and de-spidered, but I avoid it as best I can - gives me the creeps

Put in two perrennial beds, vegetable garden, planted a few trees, and pushed back the encroaching honeysuckle to regain about 1/2 acre of my 2 1/2 acre piece of land. Laid down goetex and brought in mulch to make a play area for my daughter, complete with tree-house (which I love, too, by the way). Someone else built that (my dad)

Recently redid the cedar shingles on the exterior (most of it myself ) and am now in the process of re-building the wrap-around porch out front (hired someone to do it - now we're dating, which is great cuz he's really handy to have around, in more ways than one )

Last project will be to either replace the slate roof (major $) or take it off and sell the slate to put a metal roof on.

All this while working full time and raising a daughter alone. I must be

Then I might sell (the market has really gone up a lot since I bought here) and find myself a nice place on a lake in the ADKs to start the whole remodeling thing all over again
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Wow ADK, your place sounds amazing, you must have had a lot of late nights. I should fly you out to California and have you work on my place.

applesauce - I used to get a lot more done before I started posting here The place is defintely cute as a button - tons of charm, but I have NO idea what I'm going to do once I get it re-done. Maybe start over, or add an addition......

Definately fly me out to California....um, I'll work on your place, yeah, sure I will, I swear, really.....

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    applesauce - I used to get a lot more done before I started posting here The place is defintely cute as a button - tons of charm, but I have NO idea what I'm going to do once I get it re-done. Maybe start over, or add an addition......

Definately fly me out to California....um, I'll work on your place, yeah, sure I will, I swear, really.....

yeah....we'll go wine tasking in Napa Valley, then come back and finish up my projects! mr.applesauce can watch the kids.

Count me in
    I'm sure your house would come out beautiful after that

Do you do carpet ADK? Come see me in Michigan if you do.

No carpets (too tough on the knees, "kicking" in the edges and all) but I come from a long line of painters and wallpaperers, can do drywall (and I'm not a bad taper), and can tile with the best of them
    applesauce promised me California vineyards - what does Michigan have to offer????

JR.
    Ah yes, I am also in the middle of improving my house. Christ, it never ends

Last summer I:
    -replaced the front and back doors
    -built a new deck in place of the condemed one
    -painted 6 of the 8 rooms upstairs
    -poured the concrete floor in the basement
    -put new carpet in the living room

So far this year:
    -removed all the dead and dying plants and shrubs in the yard
    -finally got the grass to grow
    -got the studs up in the basement, I'm waiting on the drywall until the electrial work is done

Ugh.

ADK, I don't know what my particular area of Michigan has to offer that can compare to wine. Maybe John or Broadway can make some suggestions as to what can be offered in this area. Maybe some German beer in Frankenmuth?

In the last year my dad and me have done this:

-Built a room in the basement, studs, drywall, t-bar roof, primed, painted
    -Put in hardwood floors in the 4 biggest rooms in the house, included tearing up the old carpet, pulling out all the staples
    -Put up the drywall on the roof in one room of the basement, fixed old beaten up walls. Primed, painted
    -Re-did a lot of the landscaping outside
    -Cleaned up almost our whole basement...and its pretty big

Still have to do:
    -Hardwood floors on the landing up stairs
    -Take out spindels and replace it with wood and glass
    -Finish off the rest of the basement, about 1200 square feet I think (gonna hate doing that)
    -Fill in a huge strip off the back yard with dirt and grass

+ Reply to Thread