+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2246620;
    Crap. Guess I am just looking for a new gas stove, then. Thanks, catmom3.
    Look on the bright side; at least if the power goes out, you can still cook!
    Actually, I've had both, but prefer the gas over electric by a mile because you don't have to wait on it to heat up, and you can reduce the heat instantly as well. But my house is total electric, so I've resigned myself to having electric forever.

Actually, you might call an electrician just to ask how much they would charge to install a 22o outlet. You might find one that will do an addition like that fairly cheaply, as they won't have to rewire the entire house or anything.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

catmom: I think a lot of professional cooks prefer gas stoves for many reasons! I hope you find one you like and have no trouble getting it installed.

-------

I just broke the towel bar in the bathroom yesterday trying to reach some ceiling paint. Drat. Something new to fix.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2284997;
    Look on the bright side; at least if the power goes out, you can still cook!
    Actually, I've had both, but prefer the gas over electric by a mile because you don't have to wait on it to heat up, and you can reduce the heat instantly as well. But my house is total electric, so I've resigned myself to having electric forever.

Actually, you might call an electrician just to ask how much they would charge to install a 22o outlet. You might find one that will do an addition like that fairly cheaply, as they won't have to rewire the entire house or anything.
    I was thinking of calling an electrician. My stove isn't that far from the breaker box so that may help.

Dagwood, beware the flat, electric cooktop. I don't know all the styles out there, but Livin4reality and I both have a thick glass cooktop and hate them. They take forever to heat up, forever to cool down and you cannot simmer on them - turn the burner down to the lowest setting to simmer and it boils/stops/boils/stops. I often soak and scrape burned sauces and soups from the bottom of my pans, and I can't brown anything. It's either raw in the middle or burned on the outside. I've started using a heat diffuser (for gas burners) to see if it helps. There may be a trick to using them, but I haven't figured it out yet. I'd advise you to check them out thoroughly before buying one.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    I LOVE cooking with gas stoves. I am hoping that next year we can replace the stove, water heater and dryer with gas versions.

I hate the flat top stoves, never been able to get consistant heat. But with gas, you can cook when the power goes out and you can better regulate heat.

I really miss having a gas stove.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2286368;
    I really miss having a gas stove.
    Me too.

Does anyone have experience tearing out tile flooring? A friend tells me it is difficult and expensive to hire out, but I don't know why - it seems pretty easy and straighforward to me - but I'm also one who makes two to four trips to Lowes in the middle of every project..
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2286625;
    Me too.

Does anyone have experience tearing out tile flooring? A friend tells me it is difficult and expensive to hire out, but I don't know why - it seems pretty easy and straighforward to me - but I'm also one who makes two to four trips to Lowes in the middle of every project..
    You can do it yourself. It is expensive to hire out.
    We have a real good friend that is a tile man and he charges a LOT to do a tear out, but with some good old fashioned elbow grease you can do it yourself. You may have to rent some tools for it and its fairly decent hard work, but not impossible.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I will check into the stove issue. Thanks for the advice.

I can't cook when the power goes out, even though I have gas. I have an electric igniter and don't dare use a match to light it if the power is out.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I've just been handed the news that I'll need to re-plumb the kitchen. Maybe not this year, but probably within the next couple of years. Apparently the geniuses who "modernized" it added some kind of wack-a-do (<--- professional plumber lingo) set up and there are too many pipes and they are old. On the up side, at least I have fair warning and can save up my pennies. And I do know a good & honest contractor (something hard enough to find) who I'd even trust in the house when I'm not here, if need be.

Oh, and dags, just my $0.02 on the glass cooktops--I love my Whirlpool smooth top cooker & wouldn't go any other way. I've got no trouble modulating the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2287543;
    I will check into the stove issue. Thanks for the advice.

I can't cook when the power goes out, even though I have gas. I have an electric igniter and don't dare use a match to light it if the power is out.
    A couple of winters ago, our power went out for three days and I needed my hot beverages. I was afraid the first time I did it too, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The trick that helped me was to have the lighter's flame right there when I turned on the gas.

Myrosiedog, what makes it difficult? Oh, duh - it just came to me - removing the dried adhesive/mortar/grout from the subfloor? My husband thinks we can just lay 1/8" plywood on top and put the vinyl floor on top of that. I bet if we don't take up the mortar, it would be too uneven of a surface for the plywood, huh? Hmmm.... I wonder if there is cement backerboard under it that we could remove and then lay the plywood. Home Improvement Hell is a good name for this thread. If anything can go wrong or complicate a project, it will.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 03-20-2007 at 09:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread