+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

queenb, you give me hope!

I didn't get to the sink this weekend, I'll work on it in the next day or two. We did manage to paint out the kitchen cabinets (still need to do the sliding cabinet doors though) and we stained about 60 ft of fence. We have a lot more fence to do...what a project. We are using a thicker stain in a dark color that matches the original house/fence color in our effort to refurbish this ramshackle place. The stain sprayer didn't work to well with our product. What fools we are to think we could get all this done in a weekend with 3 kids.

FORT Fogey
    Applesauce, did you put any sort of additive / thinner product in the stain before using the sprayer? I've never used a sprayer with stain, so don't take my word on this before checking with someone who knows what they're talking about - like the sales person where you bought the stain. But I know that professional painters often times put Flotrol in paint before running it through a sprayer. It thins the paint a bit, and helps it to go through the sprayer better. It may be worth looking in to.

Speaking of Flotrol, here's a random tip I'll share. When painting woodwork with a glossier finish paint, you should put some flotrol in it to thin the paint. Doing so will help to prevent brush marks from being left visible in the paint. It's not the intended use of the stuff (aiding in paint going through a spayer is) but it does work!

Veruka, thanks! I will mention it to my husband. Although I think he is somewhat enjoying the process of manually brushing the stain on the fence. A man, his brush and his iPOD.

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to dish out the dough to get my sink working.

Two problems:

1. We had a new finished concrete floor and concrete fill put in over the existing slab and new radiant heating which is why we had to move in/out so many times. The sink/cabinet is now about 2.5" higher than it used to be which means the pipes are now at different heights. I need to go buy new pipe for the difference.

2. The old pipe spout that comes from behind the wall is completely damaged with jagged metal ends. We are going to have to remove the wall (not too difficult since it is actually a mahogony panel but will require removing a light fixture and very large brand new mirror) then go behind and repace the pipe coming from back there. *sigh* Nothing can just go easy around here. We had 3 different groups of guys pulling stuff in and out so I can't even approach anyone and ask them to fix what they broke.

I'm not going to mess with it myself in order to avoid the whole, "Mom, what are you doing? Can I help? Let me get under there too? Mom! Vivien has something dangerous! Are you almost done? Can we go to the park yet? I'm hungry" I'll either never get it done or cause even more damage.

We just bought a new home and have moved in with our whole menagerie!

We enlisted family and friends and painted EVERY room (with Rhodda low toxcicity environmentally friendly paint), ripped out backsplash in the kitchen and bath and re-wallboarded, replace flooring in the kitchen and bath (hired someone) with Marmoleum and had hardwood floors refinished (again with an "environmentally firendly" company). It took three days for them to finish the floors and there was no odor the next day and we could walk on the floors. I think we are finished to live in the place for awhile.

Next projects: We are going to replace the countertops with cement ones. Our friends have done it and will help. Anyone out there done that?

The siding is aluminum and is beautifully painted (yes, painted) a horrific shaed of mauve/dusty rose/pink. Anyone painted aluminum siding - not vinyl?

We need to seal the basement walls. We are on a tight budget so we cannot really finish them completely, but we want to dress it up to be able to use the basement for "living" not just storage and laundry. Has anyone stained concrete or have recommendations?

Oh, the most important - we are pregnant and have to live here, so toxcicity and fumes is really important.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Well...I am involved in a little project today with hubby....just taking a break. Our pool isn't heated, and not many are down here. The water will eventually warm up, but it is already hot outside and it would be nice if the pool were a few degrees warmer.

I spray painted a 3ft. by 3ft. piece of plywood black, and we are in the process of coiling black hose and attaching it. The idea is a home-made solar device since there will be little rain from now on. We will leave a trickle of (hopefully) hot water running into the pool, since at least once a week I add water due to evaporation.

I'll let you know when the divorce comes through (just joking). I am trying to keep it zipped and follow directions. Not so easy for me!

Good luck to everyone tackling REAL projects!

Ok, dredging up an old thread to ask a question.

I am planning on getting a new stove. I currently have gas, but would like an electric flat top. Is a stove like a dryer in that it needs special plugs, or is it regular plugs? I am wondering if I need to have my kitchen wired.

dagwood, you will need a 220 outlet for an electric stove. So, yes you would need similar to a dryer.

Crap. Guess I am just looking for a new gas stove, then. Thanks, catmom3.

To update everyone, I finally bought a Maytag dishwasher at Sears but it's been sitting in my kitchen in it's pretty box for a couple of weeks now. After finding my old dishwasher was insulated with 4 men's sweaters, and the wall behind it was bashed out so I could see my tub in the bathroom through the kitchen, I've had to fix the floor, plaster some plug holes, and put pink insulation between the bathtub and outside walls so it isn't so cold at -40.

My BIL moved the old dishy out onto the deck and literally sliced it in half with a destruction saw which sounded horrific! But it's now gone to applianceland(fill).

As I had the plaster out to work in the kitchen, I decided to take my spatula and chip off what was remaining from my new light fixture installation in the bathroom (last fall). I have two sets of vertical holes on each side of the mirror that need filling. Well, ooopsy, and some paint came off. Then more, and more. Seems there are 5 layers of paint that never ready adhered to the plaster walls. I have one whole wall and the ceiling now partially scraped off. What a freaking mess.

Why is it everytime I try to do a little job in this home of mine, it turns out into a major job? At least there's time to fix this mess before I have to mow the lawn.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread