+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by syd18
    We moved into a house a couple of months ago that needs alot of work. (Dark fake wood paneling everywhere!) We just got our kitchen/dining room combo painted. The next job will be ripping out stained carpet. (I can't stand carpet in the kitchen) I would like to put down vinyl wood flooring, the kind that looks like real wood flooring. It is a big room, and about 200 square feet. Any suggestions as to the best place to buy affordable flooring? I am a stay at home mom so the budget is real tight.
    The easiest is to check Lowe's and Home Depot for sales. Sam's Club here has just started carrying wood flooring, and the prices looked pretty o.k. too. I don't know how many there are of these out in the world, but here we have a Habitat for Humanity resale shop. Basically, people can donate whatever they want house-materials wise, and the shop sells the stuff and keeps the money for the Habitat for Humanity house building projects. Lots of local builders take their excess stock and donate it (tax write off for them, good cause, can't go wrong). They have killer deals here--e.g. marble tile and wood flooring enough for a big room at VERY low rates. You should check around your area for that kind of store.

syd18, I think your best prices will be at Lowe's or Home Depot. My sister in law just put Pergo in her kitchen and dining room and she bought it at Lowe's. Her husband put it down.

wood paneling

What is everyones thoughts on wood paneling? You know, the fake, dark crappy stuff that is probably 15 years old? Would it be easier to remove it all and put up drywall, becuase there isn't any behind it, or paint over it? I know you can buy stuff to fill in those lovely grooves, my parents said they had done that once, but it was a lot of work. Of course, removing it all and putting up drywall could get quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by syd18
    What is everyones thoughts on wood paneling? You know, the fake, dark crappy stuff that is probably 15 years old? Would it be easier to remove it all and put up drywall, becuase there isn't any behind it, or paint over it? I know you can buy stuff to fill in those lovely grooves, my parents said they had done that once, but it was a lot of work. Of course, removing it all and putting up drywall could get quite expensive.
    One idea is to put up a chair rail, paint below it, leaving the wood grain texture there, fill the grooves on the part above the rail and wallpaper. Another thing you could do is to get that paint that is textured. It sort of looks like stucco. You might check that out on some website. And too, there is a thick wallcovering that could be applied right on the paneling. After you hang the paper it can be painted however you want it.
    Let us know what you decide and then of course we'll need to inspect it after you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Darn, Rose, does this mean you'll have to *gasp* cook again?
    Getting there, but not quite yet. If I play my cards right I can get a few more days out of this deal.

PhoneGrrrl, I've never heard of a Habitat for Humanity resale shop. I would LOVE it if we had one near us. We are always working on something around the house, and most of the time we just need a little of something, and we spend a lot of our time trying to find the best deal.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Habitat for Humanity ReStores

I found some information on the resale shops, called ReStores. They are in the US and in Canada. If you go to this site, there is the basic info on the stores' mission and links to the US and Canada directories.

http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Getting there, but not quite yet. If I play my cards right I can get a few more days out of this deal.

PhoneGrrrl, I've never heard of a Habitat for Humanity resale shop. I would LOVE it if we had one near us. We are always working on something around the house, and most of the time we just need a little of something, and we spend a lot of our time trying to find the best deal.
    I think that floor sealer stuff turns out better if you let it set for about six months before using it.
    I haven't heard of that shop either but am going to check it out asap.

I checked and there is one not too far from where I live. I'm going to go look around, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Muduh; 07-12-2005 at 04:56 PM.

I love to plaster, but hate the sanding and I don't care what anyone says about dustless sanders they still are a pain in the ass.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

Oh, one more tidbit, never leave Lowes assuming that the front door you bought is the right size....I DID!! and my 32" door turned out to be a 36" door. How did I find that out? after taking my old door off and cutting and fitting the latches for the new one, my wife says " it looks good, close to see..........* LAUGHS LOUDLY* It was too big....Thank you dumbass Lowes associate for telling me it was the right door......and thanks to my dumbass for not " measuring twice...cut once theory".........dumb...dumb...dumb. So yeah, that's what I did on my day off yesterday was cut the crap out of my old doorway and install my new door.......looks good.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

giz
    Thanks for the tip about the Habitat Restores. I found one upIsland from us. I'm wondering about the costs of renos. Now that I didn't get the job I wanted I'm thinking we have to wait even longer to renovate. We've got a cottage-sized house, and our daughter is in the basement (along with a big "playroom" that no-one plays in, which is now my husband's office, and also a good bathroom). I really want her out of the basement, which would mean renovating our attic. There's nothing up there, and the roof is pretty low, so we'd have to pop out dormers. I'm thinking maybe; one year re-inforce the joists (which will involve paying an electrician), next year pay someone to frame it, and put in windows (also new roof over dormers), final year finish it. We've been told $50,000 for the whole project, and I don't see how we can possibly afford that. On the other hand, I really really really want it. Thoughts about costs? Ways to pay for it? Doing it in stages? Ways to motivate husband to start project?

p.s. long-term I figure we can rent out the basement once the upstairs is done, to help pay for the reno. We don't really want strangers in the basement, but for 3 years or so, we could put up with it.

+ Reply to Thread