+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justCoz
    Walmart will match the color swatch from Lowe's if you bring it in. I know because we did this for my daughter's room.
    That's good to know because the main reason I went to Lowe's was that none of the color chips at Walmart matched my border.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Really, the reason I wouldn't buy paint from WalMart has less to do with the quality than with the fact that my brother would never let it go if I bought from the competition! I can justify buying the rollers someplace else (particularly since I spent the last of my Lowe's gift cards!), but the paint? Never!
    You're pretty much stuck, you would never hear the end of it if you put anything else on your walls. It's worth the extra money to keep peace in the family!

I'm in the middle of redoing my entire upstairs at once. I gutted the two bedrooms and re did all the lights I had 1 section of my daughters room left to put up and WHAM!! ...a leak in the roof.....F#*@*!!!!! so starts the next project in the middle of this one. last winter, my wife and I re-did the bathroom and kitchen our selves and made our back hall a mudroom. I still have the front hall and our Bedroom to complete. At first I said 1 year it will take....uh yeah right. I figure my kids will be graduating by the time I finish. I just can't see paying someone to do the work that I can do. My brother is like just hire someone and have it done in a week. He does all the time and every time I have to listen to him Bitch about the time and paying.....blah..blah ..blah.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    That's good to know because the main reason I went to Lowe's was that none of the color chips at Walmart matched my border.
    You can also just take your border (or a piece of it) and they will do the color match right from that. They just put whatever they are matching into their color match thingy (that's the technical term I'm sure ) and voila it's matched.

I found out on accident because we had found the exact colors we wanted at Lowe's, when we went to actually buy the paint I took those chips in to match them with the one's at Walmart for the less expensive paint, and the lady at the counter told us she could match them.

The other good thing was I decided against a color, and took the newly mixed paint back, and they returned it for me. Actually I exchanged it for another can of paint, but still I was amazed that they let you return paint there.

Quote Originally Posted by aliasmq
    I'm in the middle of redoing my entire upstairs at once. I gutted the two bedrooms and re did all the lights I had 1 section of my daughters room left to put up and WHAM!! ...a leak in the roof.....F#*@*!!!!!
    Oh, you poor thing...that sucks.
    I just can't see paying someone to do the work that I can do. My brother is like just hire someone and have it done in a week. He does all the time and every time I have to listen to him Bitch about the time and paying.....blah..blah ..blah.
    Mr. Rose and I agree with you. Most of our neighbors hire others to do their work, and not only do they complain about the time and the cost, but they are never satisfied with the work done. One of our neighbors had so much work done, they actually moved out for eight months (of course the estimate was for three months). They have all kinds of horror stories, which I won't go into here, but they were completely fed up at the end, and swore they would never go through that hell again. I'm sure there are good contractors out there somewhere, but you don't hear much about them, do you? Their home is gorgeous now that it's all done, but they had to watch the guys like hawks. The husband took off scads of time just to monitor the workers to make sure they did things right, and then force them to rip things out and redo it if needed.

We finished our oak floor this weekend, and it is beautiful. We need to let the polyurethane 'cure' for a few more days, then we can move back in.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justCoz
    The other good thing was I decided against a color, and took the newly mixed paint back, and they returned it for me. Actually I exchanged it for another can of paint, but still I was amazed that they let you return paint there.
    Interesting... I didn't think you could return paint that was already mixed.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    You can get the best deals on returned paint. At my local Home Depot, the returns go for $5 for a full gallon (usually $25/gal) and $1-$2 for pints of specialty-mixed wood stain. They'll open the cans and let you check out the color. If you're looking for accent paint or for a project, check out the returned paint, you can't beat it. Usually, though, there's only one can of each color. I did one time luck out and get 2 full gallons of the prettiest blue and did a whole room in it.

I didn't either. I actually took it back because I had gotten a lighter yellow and was hoping they could just darken it some. They told me to exchange it. I was pretty thrilled.

The painitng continues at my place. I just spackled more than 50 holes in one section of the hallway - all near the bedroom of my former roommate. She used to put thumbtacks in the wall all the time. I'm sure it will be even worse when I finally get around to painting that second bedroom.

I used that spakle that starts out bright pink and fades to white as it dries. The wall looks very festive and dotty!

I forgot about the discount paint section! I'll have to check that out when I go to buy all the different colors I'll be using
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Oh, you poor thing...that sucks.

Mr. Rose and I agree with you. Most of our neighbors hire others to do their work, and not only do they complain about the time and the cost, but they are never satisfied with the work done. One of our neighbors had so much work done, they actually moved out for eight months (of course the estimate was for three months). They have all kinds of horror stories, which I won't go into here, but they were completely fed up at the end, and swore they would never go through that hell again. I'm sure there are good contractors out there somewhere, but you don't hear much about them, do you? Their home is gorgeous now that it's all done, but they had to watch the guys like hawks. The husband took off scads of time just to monitor the workers to make sure they did things right, and then force them to rip things out and redo it if needed.

We finished our oak floor this weekend, and it is beautiful. We need to let the polyurethane 'cure' for a few more days, then we can move back in.
    All our neighbors had contractors build their houses. I drew our plans and we built it ourselves with a couple of retired guys who helped frame it. It took us fourteen months since my husband had a full time job too. Our house ended up costing about half what the others here did and now, twenty-five years later, it is obvious who got the better job. We have the lowest utility bills in the neighborhood because of how my husband insulated the place. We have had no cracks from settlement as several others have had. I could probably name a dozen advantages we have and are so thankful for.
    I'm a big fan of doing it yourself as long as you're comfortable with doing it.

Darn, Rose, does this mean you'll have to *gasp* cook again?

We moved into a house a couple of months ago that needs alot of work. (Dark fake wood paneling everywhere!) We just got our kitchen/dining room combo painted. The next job will be ripping out stained carpet. (I can't stand carpet in the kitchen) I would like to put down vinyl wood flooring, the kind that looks like real wood flooring. It is a big room, and about 200 square feet. Any suggestions as to the best place to buy affordable flooring? I am a stay at home mom so the budget is real tight.

+ Reply to Thread