+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

applesauce, we redid our bathroom couple years ago, and the old tub stayed for the same reasons as yours. It would be way too much to rip walls open to get a new one in (old one one could cut to pieces to haul it out). I really dislike the old tub though, and I am considering putting in just a shower. To me that would not make a difference buying a house, I like showers better, but then again I don't know how the "natives" here would think about a house without a bathtub (and we know we will sell this house eventually).

Our roof is fixed , it ended up costing $1950, and with a 10 year transferable warranty on craftsmanship that they will come to fix it if anything happens (hail damage, leaks etc.). I thought that was really really nice, and definately the reason why we chose the contractor. Next thing to do is to make the closet in den [where all water leaked in from roof before] to a computer nook/closet, can't wait for that one to be done .

ps. Have to add that the estimates for the roof were really ranging from the about $2000 to double that and more, so it was really worth it to get several estimates (although we ended up choosing the first one). I just don't understand how they can differ so much for the same job, same materials... Especially on a small house like ours. I could understand some 10-20% difference, but 200% and more is just uncomprehensible to me.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 05-27-2005 at 06:02 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    using a special appliance paint made for tubs. Of course, I want to spend as little as possible so that option has really piqued my interest. Has anyone ever used this product? If so, I would love your feedback!

Thanks.
    applesauce, my friend used this in her bathroom, she turned her shell pink tub to white. Her father did the actual application (he's a painter by trade) It turned out beautifully! He used a paint sprayer for even coverage. He said the fumes were HELL. I wouldn't recommend using it unless you and your growing appleseed are out of your well ventilated house for the whole weekend or longer.
    Cost - good
    Application - good
    Results - good
    Longevity - not bad, will last until you sell - who cares by then
    Precaution - bad fumes
    p.s. I'm not sure of the brand they used. I have these answers because I considered doing the same thing myself, we have a big tub, soak up to your neck kind, but the porcelain has all but worn off. I told hubby I want the entire bathroom gutted .. you'll know when it actually happens... it will be the same day hell freezes over
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

And don't forget that the 4 legged critters and any other breathing creatures even fish should be away from the spray vicinity.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thought I'd bump this thread since Mr. Rose and I are well-entrenched in this hell. We're in the process of doing lots of home improvements, and what a mess. We have painted our kitchen and family room two weeks ago, and have the hall left to do. This last weekend we sanded our oak kitchen floor, and even though we hung plastic, sheets, painters' tarps EVERYWHERE, we have sawdust EVERYWHERE, even upstairs. It's in EVERYTHING. Oy. Add to this, we are in the process of painting our kitchen cabinets, and we currently have 32 doors primed and ready for the next coat of real paint. We're living a nightmare. We are also going to be recarpeting, but we're planning on a huge going-away party on 8/6 for our daughter who is leaving for college, so we're holding off until after that to get it done. We were originally planning on doing it before the party so the house would be "done," but we thought, "what, are we crazy?" Anyway, next is sealing the floor, and then somehow letting it cure without walking on it (we also have 2 dogs) for probably a week. It's going to be so nice when it's all done, but until then... Okay, I'm done venting.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member

paint question

Has anybody used paint from Lowe's? I'm getting ready to paint my living room and I want to use something other than Walmart paint. I don't really have anything against Walmart paint, but the color selection doesn't work with the wallpaper border I'm going to use. I found great colors at Lowe's, I'm looking at the American Traditions brand which will cost about $23 a gallon. Has anybody used this?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Has anybody used paint from Lowe's? I'm getting ready to paint my living room and I want to use something other than Walmart paint. I don't really have anything against Walmart paint, but the color selection doesn't work with the wallpaper border I'm going to use. I found great colors at Lowe's, I'm looking at the American Traditions brand which will cost about $23 a gallon. Has anybody used this?
    We had a Lowes just opene up a few months ago here, my Uncle bought some of the paint and liked it.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Marleybone, we also had a Lowe's open recently. My girlfriend and her husband own some rental property and they just did one of the houses with Lowe's paint. She liked it. She said it isn't as thin as some that they've used before.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I have used it and really liked it, but I had never painted before so... I bought it on a friend's recommendation, though. She said it's the best there is.

Mr. Rose and I have done all kinds of things in home improvement hell. At times it feels like we live there permanently. We have painted hundreds of times, and used all kinds of paint, and by far our favorite is American Tradition, Signature Series. It covers beautifully.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member
    Perfect. Thanks guys! The colors in the American Tradition work perfectly with my border so that's what I will use. Now to get the nasty prep work done... I don't know how many layers of wallpaper are on these old plaster walls.

+ Reply to Thread