+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Home improvement hell

Congrats on the new house! It's getting close to hurricane season so trees got trimmed and the city came and hauled away the limbs today. Now... on to the landscaping!

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Somehow it's hard to finish the old if you've already bought new huh? Good luck with your move....
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

John, congrats on the new house. Are you going to get one of those small tractor type mowers to take care of all that land?

We are actually in the process of freshening up our bathroom and kitchen with the hopes of putting out house on the market this summer. We just need to figure out where we are going to go when it sells.

While we are in Oregon next week, our contractor is coming in to redo our itsy bitsy only bathroom. When we get back, we intend to sand our kitchen cabinets and refinish them. Other than some minor touch ups, our house is in pretty good shape and should sell quickly.

Congrats, John. An acre of land? Wow, in So. Cal, we talk about property in 'sq ft'.

Tirilittan, I know nothing about roofing.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Congrats on the house ! We also just bought a house...not exactly new, not new at all really. 1980 Cape Cod in North Carolina country on 1.69 acres. Which is all new to us so I'm glad I found this thread!

We currently live in NoVA until the home is completely remodled and we can afford to enjoy the sloooooooow country life

Since we can only get down there once a month, most of our work will be hired, but we are having a tough time with what a good price for projects are so we can't really budget well. We are having the entire inside painted by one team, entire outside painted (wood by the way!! ack! We need vinyl!) new carpet entire house, new tile kitchen and bathrooms. Then step by step in each room.

Does anyone have a well system instead of city water? Apparently we need to shock chlorinate our system because we get a nice rotten egg smell when the faucets run. bleh. I suppose you can hire it done but from what I read its basically pouring bleach down your pipes and holding it there overnight. Then rinse into a far away part of the yard.

Anyway, I'll post my progress and headaches here.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Refinishing the Tub

We remodelled our bathroom last month and it looks GREAT. The reason for the remodel was so we could sell the house. In its previous ugly and falling apart condition, it would have kept the price down a bit since it is the ONLY bathroom and is quite small. We have a great contractor who did a super job for a really good price. The one thing we didn't do was replace the tub...original to the house from 1949. It was going to cost a few thousand extra for a new tub and all the work involved in getting it out of our too small bathroom. We would have had to tear up all the surrounding walls and framing or completely rip apart my sons closet to remove the darn thing. Since we are planning on moving we opted not to spend all the extra money.

The tub is a bit dingy looking and has some spots where the porcelain (sp?) is a bit worn. We were thinking of having it refinished ($450-$500) but then I read about using a special appliance paint made for tubs. Of course, I want to spend as little as possible so that option has really piqued my interest. Has anyone ever used this product? If so, I would love your feedback!

Thanks.

We finished a basement by ourselves (except the drywalling) and I still remember being 5 months pregnant and priming and painting every single wall until my ankles looked like watermelons. My hubby tried to stop me, but well...you know how that goes. You can also tell when you are way to into home improvement when you get excited to see new hardware flyers!!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV
    Congrats on the house ! We also just bought a house...not exactly new, not new at all really. 1980 Cape Cod in North Carolina country on 1.69 acres. Which is all new to us so I'm glad I found this thread!

We currently live in NoVA until the home is completely remodled and we can afford to enjoy the sloooooooow country life

Since we can only get down there once a month, most of our work will be hired, but we are having a tough time with what a good price for projects are so we can't really budget well. We are having the entire inside painted by one team, entire outside painted (wood by the way!! ack! We need vinyl!) new carpet entire house, new tile kitchen and bathrooms. Then step by step in each room.

Does anyone have a well system instead of city water? Apparently we need to shock chlorinate our system because we get a nice rotten egg smell when the faucets run. bleh. I suppose you can hire it done but from what I read its basically pouring bleach down your pipes and holding it there overnight. Then rinse into a far away part of the yard.

Anyway, I'll post my progress and headaches here.
    Are you sure it is not just sulphur in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    We remodelled our bathroom last month and it looks GREAT. The reason for the remodel was so we could sell the house. In its previous ugly and falling apart condition, it would have kept the price down a bit since it is the ONLY bathroom and is quite small. We have a great contractor who did a super job for a really good price. The one thing we didn't do was replace the tub...original to the house from 1949. It was going to cost a few thousand extra for a new tub and all the work involved in getting it out of our too small bathroom. We would have had to tear up all the surrounding walls and framing or completely rip apart my sons closet to remove the darn thing. Since we are planning on moving we opted not to spend all the extra money.

The tub is a bit dingy looking and has some spots where the porcelain (sp?) is a bit worn. We were thinking of having it refinished ($450-$500) but then I read about using a special appliance paint made for tubs. Of course, I want to spend as little as possible so that option has really piqued my interest. Has anyone ever used this product? If so, I would love your feedback!

Thanks.
    I don't know about paint but there are kits available to re-glaze a porcelain tub or you can get the supplies separately if you already have some of them. I think the process involves etching the surface with acid, filling in any defects, applying bonding agent, and then there is some type of primecoat and then a clear topcoat. There are probably other ways to do it too so I'd search around the internet for refinishing tubs. I have a claw-footed tub that has been in this house since 1891 but it isn't going anywhere either. It's in amazingly good condition but I'd try to refinish it myself if I had to because it shouldn't be too difficult and there's quite a bit of money to be saved.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    We were thinking of having it refinished ($450-$500) but then I read about using a special appliance paint made for tubs. Of course, I want to spend as little as possible so that option has really piqued my interest. Has anyone ever used this product? If so, I would love your feedback!

Thanks.

We were scouting out those pieces that you just slide right over the tub and voila, good as new. I can't find anyone that has used these though so I'm not sure if its a good idea or not.

Yes, its probably sulpher in the water, we ended up doing a bleach treatment (foreign to me, common to the country folk down there), so we will see how that goes.

Just had someone paint the entire inside of the house, looks SO much better than wallpaper. I think our big summer project will be a deck. I'm looking forward to any interesting tales of building things like this on your own.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread