+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computer Problem

Computer Problem

Oh great wise ones with all the bits and bytes knowledge, I need help.
    I went to sign off AOL (yeah, yeah don't give grief about that) earlier today and the AOL screen wouldn't go away. My connection was terminated, but the screen stayed up and my computer was locked up. I didn't realize this for a couple of hours because I was running out the door with the daughter. Upon returning home and realizing what happened I did what sounded good to me. I powered down my computer, waited a few and fired it up again. However none of my icons appeared on the desktop, only in the tray and everything was locked up. After doing the old Ctrl/Alt/Del thing, here's what programs were running:
    Explorer (not responding)
    Navapw32 (not responding)
    Hpgs2wnd
    Hpgc mon
    Hpgs2wnf
    Stimon
    Systray
    Ptsnoop
    E_shoa2

So I restarted several times and the same thing kept happening. Every now and then it would say that my Norton Anti virus was "not responding". I finally did Ctrl/Alt/Del and did End Task on E_shoa2 thinking this might be some type of Trojan or something. I don't ever recall seeing this. I restarted and my Norton anti virus program opened up (which has expired and I do need to renew). Finally everything kicked in and voila..here I am.
    My questionis what course of action should I take now?

Sorry for rambling on, but I know it is important to get all of the "what were you doing and what happened when" questions answered.

Thanks!

FORT Fan
    Do an online anti virus scan here.http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

That showed I had none.

I used every search engine I could think of and didn't come up with anything about E_shoa2.

There's a website that tells what some of the running processes mean and whether they are bad or good, but that one wasn't on there. The site is http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

Unk:

Try www.answersthatwork.com Click on 'Task List' and there is a alphabatized list of what's running in your ctl+alt+del task menu. It will give solutions and suggestions as well as telling you what it is.

I also use www.computing.net In the upper right hand side, type in what it is that's running and then chose your operating system. It will then lead you to a troubleshooting page that offers solutions.

ETA: I came up with nothing on E_shoa2.
    Last edited by speedbump; 08-01-2004 at 04:31 AM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Hpgs2wnd
    Hpgc mon
    Hpgs2wnf---all three were found on answersthatwork.com

Stimon---found on answersthatwork.com

Systray---keep

Ptsnoop---found on answersthatwork.com

E_shoa2---it's a mystery
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Leo
    Premium Member
    It's a mystery alright. Even Google can't find anything on it.

After I first posted this problem I ran my Adaware program and got rid of about 20 things there. I also did a scan with my Norton even though it's not up to date and it found nothing. But it seems that once I was able to get back running, everything was fine. Prior to freezing up on me, I was running awful slow for about the past hour. When I was doing one of my google searches I did encounter one of those "would you like to instal blah, blah, blah which of course I said no, but it was right after that things went awry. Everything seems fine now. Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread