+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Who, why and how much do you tip?

What is your philosophy on tipping? Who do you tip or not and why? How much do you tip? What is the most/least you've ever tipped and the reason. Being a restaurant manager, I'm just curious as to everyones views on this subject.

In restaurants, it's usually 15 to 20 percent unless the wait staff has been either super attentive (25% or more) or very lax (down to nuttin'). I can understand being busy, but sometimes they just DROP off the face of the earth! It's important to me that I have something to drink with my meal, and I hate having to crunch my ice because there's nothing else in my glass!

I'm an extravagant tipper. I'll tip up to 40% sometimes, but generally give at least 33% at restaurants. If I'm at someone's station for a long time (if I'm working) and only order something small (breakfast, for example), I might tip as high as 100%.

I was a server during college, and a dancer during grad school. The people who work these jobs make their livelihood off of tips; they "depend on the kindness of strangers."

An extra two or three dollars for breakfast is really nothing, and it's fun to move someone with my generosity. I prefer giving a $5 tip to a measly $3 for, say, a $14 breakfast for two.

(This is my 500th post. Woo!)

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    My sister-in-law tips 15% and carries around a little card that helps her figure it out. When hubby and I go out it depends a lot on the service. We were at a restaurant in Virgina once with our family when the service was so bad we finally cornered the manager so we could get our food. We were going to leave, but the kids were starved. When it finally came it was cold and some of it was uneatable. My son-in-law says you have to leave something even if the service is bad so he'll leave a penny when something like that happens just so the server knows he didn't forget to leave a tip. Myself, I lean towards the 15 to 20% range, more if the food is good along with the service. Two of my daughters worked as waitresses and they had to share their tips with the cook and the busboy so I usually make sure there's enough to go around.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I always tip very good, usually well over the usual 15%.

I guess my criterias for tipping isn't necessarily that the waitress/waiter is constantly waiting on us every second of our meal. Other factors is how friendly they are, that they dont leave your drink empty the entire time (hate that..I guess that's negligence maybe, there's a difference between not waiting on you every second and NEVER waiting on you...lol) ...

Also, since I'm on the Atkins diet... I'm always appreciative of the ones who take time to listen for a minute & help us put a meal together... like we'll pick a meal & swap out potatoes & bread for other things, & a lot of waitresses are good listeners, so they listen for a minute about the Atkins diet (some come back for more information so they can help future customers with same thing) & come with helpful suggestions etc, I definitely leave extra tips for that.

Pretty much anybody that makes it a pleasant environment to eat in.... what friendliness & service is concerned..friendly but not over-friendly
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Fade to black
    I'm a big tipper too - like Shayla, I worked as a waiter for a number of years. If only all people had worked as a server once in their life, they would comprehend how hard it really is. That being said, there is no excuse for laziness or terrible customer service and if I receive that, I'll not only dock my tip but let the server know why - maybe by my doing so, they'll do better next time (I always hated when I received a poor tip when I knew I did a good job, but could understand if I made mistakes and was told what they were.)
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I love Ruben and the FORT 702loves205's Avatar
    I agree with the comments of Shayla and Wyndemere. I consider tipping to be very important and I usually tip above standard guidelines. I tip to show my appreciation and I want my gratitude to be reflected in the tip I leave.

Being a supervisor in the hotel industry, the ladies I work with work very hard to maintain the cleanliness of our guest rooms and sometimes their efforts go unnoticed. And believe me, I completely understand that not everyone cleans the same or is as attentive as they should be, but when the service is good please dont let it go unnoticed. You will make their day, trust me!

Congratulations Shayla! On your 500th post.

My husband tells me I'm a bad tipper.

I tend to always leave a dollar for lunch...but my lunch usually costs about $5. He tends to tip more at the 25% range unless the service is just plain bad were I tip more at the 20% range but a lot of times I just sort of tip mindlessly, I have a dollar after lunch, I leave a dollar.

He tends to tip more people then I do, he always tips the pizza guy. (I do now so I don't have to listen to the tipping lecture) I found out after the movers packed us up I was sopposed to tip them. (which after unpacking after them, I'm glad I didn't because they did a crappy job)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I'm a horrendous tipper, by North American standards.

I resent the implication that I should tip and feel the decision to do so has been taken out of the hands of the customer, it's expected.
    I paid for my meal, the staff will get paid for cooking it and serving me.
    I know people roll out the old chestnut that restaurant staff are poorly paid, sorry, not my problem.

Even poor service, or poor food garners at least a 15% tip from people my husband and I have dined with, usually more.
    I don't even pay for the meal if I was unhappy with the it and I certainly don't "reward" the waiter or waitress is the service is bad.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I always leave a decent-good tip unless the service is really bad.

Only once have I never left a tip and I'm sure the waitress knew why without me telling her. My friend is Brazilian and invited us to go to a Brazilian restaurant. You had 2 choices on the menu, a buffet (which was 35$) or a plate (for 20$). My husband and I took the 20$ plate (we have a house to pay etc...) and the others took the buffet. Anyways...the waitress got mad that she was unable to convince us to take the buffet. She knew we didn't speak portugese (but my friend does) and she was insulting my husband and I in portugese calling us cheap and other names like that. We got our meal 15 minutes after everyone else was served and never got refills of water etc... not to mention, we didn't like the food. So we paid the bill and walked out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast