+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

I'll usually tip 20-30% but sometimes more if I'm in a generous mood, and usually more at breakfast which is so inexpensive; I feel sorry for the breakfast shift waitstaff! If I get truly bad service, I'll leave a note explaining why I left no money, but that's very rare. The last time I remember doing so , was because I waited for 30 minutes to have my order taken, and another 30 for my food, during which the waitress never came back to check on me. I never got my drink or salad, but after she finally brought my food I never saw her again. I had to ask the busboy to get my check! (And I did tip him a buck- he was back in a flash!) This was not in a cheapo place either; it was about like an Outback or Longhorn. And it was very busy, but the next section was getting excellent service- too bad I wasn't over there!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Restaurants always complain that they can't afford to pay their staff minimum wage or better. I owned a pizza restaurant for 10 years. Granted, we didn't operate in a big city, but we had a good business. My husband and I were always there (at least one of us at all times) and we tried to keep labor costs down. Many times I've been in places who have 8 or 10 people working when, in my opinion, they could probably get by with half that. If the restaurant was paying their staff minimum wage you can bet that they would be getting by with less staff on hand. We paid our wait staff and delivery people minimum wage, plus they kept their tips. The kitchen help were paid more, because they didn't get tips. We didn't start out that way but quickly learned that to get and keep the best help, we had to pay them more money. I know how much money we made in our restaurant, even paying more wages and we were charging the same prices as our competitors.

Having said that, I do tip because I know how things are. I just don't like it.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I must say I hardly ever tip as it's not really the custom here.

Waiters/waitresses are going to hate me if I ever visit USA
    "You get what anyone gets - you get a lifetime."

FORT Fogey
    I just have a quick question about tipping-- how much are you supposed to tip when you get a manicure? still 15%?

Fort Member
    Its not custom to tip here at all. Sometimes we just leave the change but if you have had really good service above and beyond the call of duty then most people will leave something more. However the minimum wage for wait staff is around $10 an hour plus casual loading + penalities usually brings it up to around 13 to 14 an hour. Really experienced wait or bar staff are paid around 16 an hour + penalities so depending on what times and shifts they work they can take home quite a good wage. Which doesnt meant its that expensive to eat out. Despite the introduction of a 10% GST in 2000 you can still get a decent steak at a good restaurant for under $20 and a sandwich and drink at a cafe for under $8. As for tipping a hairdresser, taxi driver or hotel porter never. So I get very very confused when I travel overseas who to tip and who not to and on occasssion have learnt the hard way that some people just expect it even when service was not that great. Was actually abused by a shuttle bus driver outside my hotel in New York as I didnt tip him, I honestly felt because I had to carry my own luggage as he walked ahead of me open and put it in the trunk of the bus myself, then had to wait as he stopped in the airport car park to chat to another driver, then when he double parked at the hotel I had to get out into the traffic open the trunk myself and get luggage out and carry it into the hotel and he didn't smile or acknowledge me once during the whole trip that he had done nothing above what he is already paid to do so why should I tip him? He started yelling at me I just walked away but it was embarrassing

Lucynda, may I ask please, what are penalties and casual loading? Just curious cause it's not wording I'm familiar with. Thanks so much!

While at Denny's last night, I thought about this thread. The past few times we've been there, they've had horrendous service. Not that Denny's is a 5 star restaurant or anything, but when I go out to eat, I expect the server to stop by at least once after our food is delivered to see if we need anything. Our server didn't do that, which is annoying when you want your cup of coffee refilled. We gave a dollar tip, but we only ordered a sampler anyway. He could've been pissed about that, but at the same time, if you want a tip, you earn it. Ah well.

I usually tip extremely well, between 15 and 18%.

Fort Member
    Sorry Libra1022. Most wait and bar staff work casual as in they are not full time employees so they do not have paid holidays or sick leave so an extra amount is added onto the hour rate to cover this it can vary alot but is usually around 10 to 15% this is called casual loading. Penalities are extra amounts paid when you work overtime this can vary too but its usually over the 8hours also Saturday nights and Sundays. So for example if you work a 10 hour shift on a friday thats 8 hours at normal rate then two hours at a higher rate of time and a half. If you work a ten hour shift on a Saturday thats 8 hours at time and a half and two hours at double time. If you work 10 hours on a sunday or public holiday its 10 hours at double time. However your tax is huge when you do this especially if its a second job. Now all of this does vary from state to state with some states abolishing the penalities for weekends, but over all they dont earn too bad a wage. Most wait staff and bar staff here are students or have another full time job during the day, we also have alot of backpackers who do it to make money to get to the next stop

Fort Member
    I hope that all makes sense.

Being a restaurant manager for 30+ years I'm floored that those kind of wages can be paid and the business still maintain a profitable bottom line.

+ Reply to Thread