+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Jamba Juice, Burger King, or Starbucks (et al.), have tip jars on the counter is ridiculous. These kids are paid way over minimum wage (unlike the restaurant servers who rely on tips as wages) and I don't believe tips should be part of their pay.
    I completely agree with that!
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I too am a Canadian and have never heard of there being two levels of minimum wage. In 2 words.... that sucks!! In my province the least you can make is 5.90 per hour. But I know that many places in my area pay more due to amount of competition for good service people. Even Tim Horton's and McDonalds are starting about $8-9 per hour. Tips here are also taxable but we go on a self reporting style. The person is supposed to keep track of all the tips they recieve and report it at tax time.

I think the difference in the minimum wage thing goes to show why some of us are on different sides of the fence. It is neat to hear things like this tho. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by unexplained
    Blue, you know Singaporeans hardly tip. And people are already complaining about the service tax. The fact that you got any tip at all is .

How's work?
    I know, people here rarely, tip. Work is alright, work = work, there’s nothing magnificent about it. Dealing with rude customers, who are picky in every single dish they eat. Kids who run around the restaurant while I’m carrying so much stuff. Managers who are so biased (prefer only certain people). The fact that 50% of all the thing sI do is so tedious and useless, but it’s all what they like to call “procedure”. Work = Work, nothing gfreat about it, in the end, it’s the pay check that makes me wake up in the morning and go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    Blue, can you clarify the "service charge" portion...is that a tax or does that go automatically to the servers, like a calculated-in gratuity? I'm guessing it's the former rather than the latter, but I'm not sure.
    Hmm…no our pay is “fixed” and what ever scraps of coins that we get as tips, is out tips. It’s not as if, if we serve about 400$ of food, we get 10% nope. We just get out hourly wage rates. (I think that is what you were asking)

I do understand what everybody is saying, and I must say you are all very very generous people as compared to 90% of the clientele who frequent where I work. But yes, Tip should not be done all the time, I DO agree, only if it deserved, yup!

========
    As for minium wage rate, you all say it's about $2.00-$2.50 per hour, plus whatever tips, which can add up to alot right?...let's just say my pay isn't so far from that (converted to local currency)...however, the fact that tips are near no-existent, gives you a fairly good idea, of how "little" i make here. (end complaint)

Premium Member
    I usually tip about 20% if the service is good. One thing I use to gauge the quality of the service is how many times the server needs to apologize.
    We were eating breakfast at a Cracker Barrel recently and our server was putting up with an enormous amount of crap at another table over some dumb little thing. I think the people didn't like that the gravy for their biscuits came in a big bowl with one spoon. There was nothing the server or the manager could do to please these people and they were both exceptionally curteous and professional. She gave outstanding service to them (and us) even though they treated her like crap, and we could see that they only left her $1.. needless to say we left her a huge tip.

This is mostly a repeat of what everyone else said. I've waited tables myself, making $2.13 an hour, so unless the service is absolutely abysmal, I tip at least 20 percent.
    I do not, however, tip in places where it's a buffet or whatever, where I basically get my food myself.
    I also tip my hairdresser $5 on a $20 haircut. Mostly because I suck at math, I don't know the standard and so I just guess. But also, I like her. And she wields a lot of power over me.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    The only time I have a problem with tipping is when I see a big TIP jar at Starbucks. I'm already paying for over priced coffee, why should they expect a tip? Since they're not "waiters" they're not being paid lower than minimum wage nor do they have to pay taxes on that jar full of dollars. The prompt and courteous service they give should be expected.

There's an ice cream store here (Graeters based in Cincinnati) that has a tip jar by their register. At the end of the summer, they take all the money and split it up with the all the college kids they hire. I'm thinking they even add to the amount. That one doesn't bother me like one does at a Starbucks.

Always tips the current rate to the wait help for their excellent service given.

I have run into situations where crappiest service has happened that equals zero for the tip.... :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    She gave outstanding service to them (and us) even though they treated her like crap, and we could see that they only left her $1.. needless to say we left her a huge tip.
    I've found myself making up for other people's lack of a tip before--as you just described.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Edit: what I said yesterday. SOmeone asked what the whole 10% "service charge" was for. I asked my manager today, the 10% service charge, all the money that is accumulated, is towards yearly "bonuses" to "deserving" staff, and towards the yearly staff party. If you ask me, 10% of the total bill for that, is a lot, but no complaints!

+ Reply to Thread