T- to
    I- insure
    P- prompt service.
    its not called a
    T- to
    S - subsidize
    Y- your
    W -wages
    I think it's horrible that we are held responsible for putting a roof over the server's head when thats what the boss should be doing. Some sites like www.bitterwaitress.com call people all sorts of horrible names because they didn't leave a tip.. a gratuity. We don't eat out at sit down restaurants often and this is part of the reason, when we do go out we do leave a 15% tip but I really resent the expectation :phht demand of a tip.
    /end tiny rant

Call me a bitter pink-collar worker. I don't make any more than a frickin' server, waitress, whatever, and I have to deal with rude customers, insane hockey parents, and general dumbasses, and I'm lucky if I get flowers on Secretary's Day (which, btw, I didn't this year). I've been a waitress too, as it happens, and believe me, I often think that I would be a helluva lot better off, financially at least, if I was waiting tables.

Yeah, I leave a tip when I go to a restaurant, but if the service sucks, I refuse to (admittedly, this has rarely happened). I also tip my new hair stylist because she does an exceptional job with my ratty hair.

*whew* I feel better getting THAT off my chest. Sorry if I offended any wait staff.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_cool
    I know different countries have different "charging" procedures, some don't add "service charge" and some do. Over here, we serve a total of 16% tax

10% = Service Charge
    1% = CESS (I have no idea what it stands for)
    5% = GST (Local Rate)
    Blue, can you clarify the "service charge" portion...is that a tax or does that go automatically to the servers, like a calculated-in gratuity? I'm guessing it's the former rather than the latter, but I'm not sure.

As for tipping, if it's a regular restaurant and I receive table service, I nearly always tip 20-25% (unless the service is really awful, obviously). If I'm doing take out from a real restaurant (not drive thru or anything) I'll tip maybe 10% unless they help me carry out a really big order, then more.

But what drives me nuts is the tip jar at a certain coffee house chain in my region (not Starbucks--don't know how it works there, but maybe it's the same). I know for a fact that the waitstaff (counter service, not waiting on tables) is paid well over minimum wage and the employees (not even full time, but part time as well as long as they worked for 6 months) get full benefits. My sister worked there for years in college and she made more part time (wages + tips) that I did while in law school clerking. The counter staff at these coffee shop expect a $1 to $3 tip per order, even if it's a $1.25 plain coffee. I think if you're making $10/hr you can pour me a cup of coffee without a 80% tip. I don't object to some tipping if you order something complicated and they do it right, quickly, and well, but if it's just getting a muffin from the case or pouring plain coffee, that's no different that the dude at McDonalds getting you a burger. *end rant*

I hate tipping. Back home, people are payed enough so they don't have to rely on tips to get by. You don't have to tip anyone. If you do, it's if the person really went the extra mile and it means something. Don't get me wrong, I understand that in the US it is proper to tip and I do it (15-20%) but I don't like it. I don't think anyone should have to rely on strangers generosity to get by. That goes for unemployed people too.

What really bothers me is going to anywhere where the food is served buffet style. This includes getting your own drinks. Then they will have something posted somewhere that says to not forget to tip the waitstaff. What waitstaff? Do they mean the person that comes to take the empty/dirty dishes off the table? To me that is a busperson and I usually do not tip them unless they have gone out of their way in some fashion to make the visit more enjoyable.

I think as far as tipping the hairdresser it is appropriate to tip anyone but the owner. The owner already gets anywere from 20-50% of the hairstylists that work there unless it is a space rental deal that the stylist has. I am likely to tip whoever cuts my hair even if they own the place.

I will not go to a place where one person cuts another colors, then another dries and styles my hair unless I have specifically asked for those individuals to take care of those needs. I hate being passed off to someone I do not know to finish a job. I once had a friend of my mom's start a haircut and then have his employee finish it and blow dry my hair. When my mom came to pick me up I told her never to make an appointment with him again and why. She asked him what was up and he gave an excuse of an emergency. He just went to chat with his friend on the phone within ear shot of me and I called him on it. The haircut was on the house.....but I tipped the other stylist from my pocket to make a point. Years later, I went to work for that man. He said that I got the job because he knew I would provide the best service to his customers and he was impressed that I tipped the other stylist since the flubb was his and not hers. People remember for a long time who does and does not tip. I got the job 13 years after the incident. I was shocked that he remembered.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I tend to tip 20% unless the services is really really bad or outstanding then I tip more or less depending on what happened and often tell the manager why (both the good and the bad, I can tell very few people tell the manager about good service because the manager always comes over ready to solve "the problem" and has always been amazed when I tell them it's because I want to tell them how nice the person was. One time we did it about a waiter at the table next to us that was dealing with a total SOB being perfectly patient and we knew the poor guy was not going to get a tip, so we told the manager how wonderful the waiter had been)

Pizza guys...I tend to tip 10% unless it's a blizzerd or rainstorm.

Hairdresser....I tend to tip 10 to 15%, usually because I always hate how they style my hair and I've gotten sick of explaining to them how I want it styled...but she does a nice hair cut.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I for one am of the thought that tips are earned and not a right.
    I do understand the job of serving is very demanding however I will only compensate my server on the service I received. I have tipped 30% and I have tipped 2 cents (rude I know but the entire experience was horrible)
    I see no reason in compensating someone for a poor job. My family goes out every Friday night for supper, and the tip left is directly correlated to the experience we have as a whole.

One thing I will say is this...... as customers we are the first to tell everyone we know about the bad service we got at so and so. I make a conscious effort to not only tell the server they were wonderful but to also tell the same people i would have if it was horrible.

We too go out usually every Friday night and tend to tip double the tax since our food tax here is almost 10% - so tips land somewhere in the 18-20% range. If the service was exceptionally good, we do tip more. I have co-workers who like to maintain a schedule of where they eat lunch and at their favorite restaurants tip whatever is in their pocket at the time. (This could be $20 on a $25 check. Generous, I know.)

My problem is with buffets who insist on tips, since all they do is clear plates really. But there is a different type of buffet that leaves me confused. Some sushi places I frequent are buffets in the sense that dishes of sushi rotate on a conveyer belt and we choose as we please. But everything else is served, that is, drinks, appetizers, non-sushi dishes, and desserts. Since the tip is also split among the sushi chefs as well as the servers, I want to tip my regular range even though it's technically a buffet. But my hubby thinks we don't need to if we order just sushi since it is a buffet. Don't the sushi chefs deserve a tip too? Or do they make enough not to rely on tips? I don't even know what's customary in sushi restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    tipping really irks me.
    T- to
    I- insure
    P- prompt service.
    its not called a
    T- to
    S - subsidize
    Y- your
    W -wages
    I think it's horrible that we are held responsible for putting a roof over the server's head when thats what the boss should be doing. Some sites like www.bitterwaitress.com call people all sorts of horrible names because they didn't leave a tip.. a gratuity. We don't eat out at sit down restaurants often and this is part of the reason, when we do go out we do leave a 15% tip but I really resent the expectation :phht demand of a tip.
    /end tiny rant
    Here in the United States the wage for waitstaff is usually lower than the Minimum wage and the rest is made up with tips... The owners are also required to estimate your tip income and report it to the IRS, so the waitstaff gets taxed on a portion of your tip whether you leave it on the table or not... So it really IS to subsidize wages... If the owner were required to pay a living wage to the waitstaff and no tipping were required, his prices would just be higher... So we'd be paying the same amount anyway... However, I'm sure the owner would be putting more money in his own pocket! I like the system we have now because I'd rather give money directly to the college kid that's working their way through school than the owner...

I generally tip 20% for good service, shoot for 25% on great service...

Bad service I leave a very small tip... Mainly just to let them know that I didn't forget to tip them... And I'm a very tolerable person... To get a small tip from me you really had to deserve it...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Brodie, I don't mean to sound like a snot, but how can wages for servers be lower than minimum wage? Isn't minimum wage, well, the minimum you can pay someone to do a job?

I guess my main problem with the concept of subsidizing someone's wages is that there are many jobs that ALSO pay minimum wage and those performing them don't get tipped - telemarketers, security guards, store clerks, fast-food workers, janitorial staff, etc. They all provide services (well, okay, telemarketers are often a pain in the ass, but I'm sure my point here is clear) but who subsidizes their wages?

If you want to tip, fine. But feeling obligated to tip? :phhht
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread