+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Blue, you know Singaporeans hardly tip. And people are already complaining about the service tax. The fact that you got any tip at all is .

How's work?
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_cool
    Texicana - 20%-45% wow! That's nice!
    I notice most people here complain that 16% is so high, and when they get like say $1.55 change, they'll leave the 5 cents down. no joke, I think everybody whom I've given cash change back, leave the five cents, but greed up on the rest
    My sister also used to be a server, and one time the check was like $75.00. They left her a quarter She picked it up, ran out the door after them and threw it at them saying "I think you need this more than me". I probably would have done the same thing.

ETA: Here, you usually just make minimum wage as a server, so you totally rely on the tips.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    In the US, a standard tip is typically 15% of the bill BEFORE taxes are added.
    I thought it was after tax? No biggie though. I like to tip 20% after tax as a standard in a full service restaurant as I was also a waitress at one point in my early life. It's a thankless job.

I also tip a person taking a "to go" order in a restaurant (not fast food), the pizza guy at least the 15% tip etc.

Maybe things have changed, but when I was waitressing, the minimum wage was $2.01 per hour plus tips; we also had to split our tips with the house (the bartender, the cook, etc.) I don't believe in not tipping for bad service; it could be anything. Everyone has a bad day. I have been known to leave a note or speak with the manager though.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    I also tip a person taking a "to go" order in a restaurant (not fast food), the pizza guy at least the 15% tip etc.
    So do I.

tipping really irks me.
    T- to
    I- insure
    P- prompt service.
    its not called a
    T- to
    S - subsidize
    Y- your
    W -wages
    I think it's horrible that we are held responsible for putting a roof over the server's head when thats what the boss should be doing. Some sites like www.bitterwaitress.com call people all sorts of horrible names because they didn't leave a tip.. a gratuity. We don't eat out at sit down restaurants often and this is part of the reason, when we do go out we do leave a 15% tip but I really resent the expectation :phht demand of a tip.
    /end tiny rant
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I either do 15% plus or double the tax.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    We usually leave at least 15% or more. I only leave less if the service is really really bad.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Server's lower minimum wage rates aren't gonna change any time soon, so why penalize a server for this? The reason businesses get away with it is because it's expected the waitstaff WILL be making some tip money, so to not tip on good service really just compounds the problem. My mother in law waits tables at a small upscale venue, but her boss pays her VERY well for non tip duties such as cleaning up and such.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

We also usually leave at least 20% tip, and sometimes we'll leave a lot more, especially if it's like right before Christmas or if we're out on Valentine's Day or some other holiday, we always give the server a lot in tips just cause they have to work that day.

If the service is bad, we still tip 15%, we figure everyone can have a bad day and deserve a second chance and sometimes a third, but if we come back another time and it's STILL bad, even after having gotten the right amount of tip then we'll most likely give less (& most likely never come back.... hehe )

I'm from Norway and there we dont tip anybody at all .... the servers' 15% tips is actually included in the check you get, even though I usually still leave a little bit on top of that, but hair dressers & servers etc are rarely tipped....I usually tip the taxi drivers though.

So while we're on the subject of tipping...what's usual to tip a hairdresser with? Is that 15% also? How about pet groomers, do you tip them?
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Well, I tip my dog groomer a fiver every time... and the tab is between $40 to $50 depending on how homeless my dog looks when she gets dropped off.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread