+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

I think the majority of customers are fair tippers. If you show up, do your job and do it well, you will be compensated. I put myself through 6 years of college & university by waitressing and I never felt that I was underpaid. Mostly it was great. For every person that doesn't tip is a person that is overly generous. It all evens out... so long as you do your job well.

I worked at a restaurant where we didn't have sections. The servers would wait on whoever they wanted and divy it up. There was a couple that NO ONE ever wanted to wait on. Elderly, never tipped and needed lots of attention. After awhile, I would just naturally take them because no one else did and they were pleasant enough, if not very needy.

One day as they were leaving, the woman, (who was a handfull at times) slipped $2 into my hand as she left and thanked me for always being 'their' girl. They would continue to leave 50 cents for me afterwards (they usually never tipped anyone) and I always remembered how good that felt. I had a bond with them and when I left, they gave me $5. More importantly, I remember how much appreciation they showed me.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

That's such a nice story Miss F.

I don't mind tipping people that have generally given good service.
    I don't expect to be treated like the queen, but neither do I expect to be ignored.
    Even worse in the case of some of the more sporty bars/restaurants I've been with groups that have had to wait for ages while half a dozen servers try to get a hen night group doused and rowdy.
    I know that's the exception and that most restaurant workers work damn hard.
    It just irks me that the ones dancing with drunken revellers while I sit waiting expect me to tip them too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Originally posted by John
    I think tipping is ridiculous, but I am an admitted over-tipper. My wife hates it. Which I don't understand, because she worked at a restaurant for 11 years, and made crappy tips (it was a Dutch restaurant in a Dutch town, so those tightwads think leaving 3 pennies on the table is a decent tip).
    John...What is the difference between 4 Dutch guys in a canoe and 4 Dutch guys having coffee at Russ's?

The 4 guys in the canoe are more likely to tip.

Seriously my old boss was Dutch when I worked near Grand Rapids. We would threaten him with bodily harm before he would tip when he was out to lunch with us.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Nowadays it seems like everyone expects a tip, and it's almost to the point of ridiculousness (is that a word? ).

At restaurants I'll tip 10% if the service is crappy. But 20-25% if it's good. I guess if it's bad I should just not tip so they recognize they suck rather than me just being cheap.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I don't expect to be treated like the queen, but neither do I expect to be ignored.
    Bingo.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Tipping

Tipping: the gesture of giving extra money to your server/waiter when dinning out (my very bad definition of "tipping")

I know different countries have different "charging" procedures, some don't add "service charge" and some do. Over here, we serve a total of 16% tax

10% = Service Charge
    1% = CESS (I have no idea what it stands for)
    5% = GST (Local Rate)

I work as a server (yes, the restarant made it clear to us that we are NOT "waiters" as we do not "wait" for the customer to call us, we take the initiative to "serve" and not "wait" to be called upon -- some restaurant theory :rolleyes ) Tipping is so so so SO rare. I mean alright 16% tax, would you still tip?

So I was just wondering, when you go dine out, in a fairly decent restaurant (I'm not talkng MacDonald's here) about what percentage of the bill do you "tip"?

So far,16 days into my job, my total tips $6.45 which actually I'm surprised is that high

I tip 20% at the very least, usually around 25% though. If the service was outstanding, like the Japanese place I like going to, then it's about 45%. Terrible service gets a dollar or so. I'm an easy person to wait on at a restaurant so it has to be really abominable to rate a dollar from me.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

In the US, a standard tip is typically 15% of the bill BEFORE taxes are added. I usually tip about 20%, since I used to work as a delivery driver and server in a restaurant.

Sometimes, with large groups, restaurants will include the tip in the bill, and they usually make it 18% of the bill.

As I understand it, there are a lot of people who hardly tip at all. They don't seem to understand that servers don't get paid a very good hourly rate, and make most of their income off of tips.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Texicana - 20%-45% wow! That's nice!
    I notice most people here complain that 16% is so high, and when they get like say $1.55 change, they'll leave the 5 cents down. no joke, I think everybody whom I've given cash change back, leave the five cents, but greed up on the rest

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I have also been a "server", and I know it hard work.

I always tip 20% if the server did her/his job well. If she/he was extra good, I've gone as high as 50%. If the service was poor, and and the server was just plain horrible, I've been known to leave nothing.

I also don't blame the server if the cook did something wrong, or if I *know* it's not her/his fault.

+ Reply to Thread