+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

but really I would pay more at a restaurant that made it clear up front that tipping was not allowed. I don't understand why they couldn't pay staff more by charging more ...
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I had a waitressing job at a private golf course where they charged 15% gratuity on the bill. It really was a great job and good customer/bad customer, you got paid the same amount for the most part. You knew what you were in for and there was less fighting amongst the waitstaff and you never felt 'slighted' by a bad tipper.

And of course, if you went over and above the call of duty, there was nothing stating that the member couldn't slip you a $5 in addition to the gratuity on the bill.

It seemed to work better.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    I generally leave a 20-25% tip at restraunts- just b/c it's easy math- 1/4 of the bill- voila...

QUESTION- i got a haircut yesterday, and i was curious what is the standard for tipping barbers/ hairdressers? My haircuts usually run in the $10-15 range.

I always tip my hairdresser 20% because she does a fab job with my hair.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I give 20% tip for decent waitstaff service. More if that person is good.

The lowest I ever tipped someone was 2 cents to Tom the Trainee (that's what his badge said). It was at an ice cream place and he actually gave us attitude! I had my share of sugar and left him a note, something like "Tom the Trainee, here is my 2 cents. Your suck and we hate you. Drop the attitude!"

The largest tip to "bill" ratio was at a donut place. It was a very hot day and these "kids" were working hard so I left a $1 tip.

Originally posted by cali
    but really I would pay more at a restaurant that made it clear up front that tipping was not allowed. I don't understand why they couldn't pay staff more by charging more ...
    I don't believe the majority of people feel that way. Let's just say in a typical (if that is possible) restaurant you would have a 50-50 ratio of tipped and non tipped employees. For the restaurant to bring the tipped employees from $2.13 per hour which is the minimum they can be paid to a higher wage would be economically challenging to say the least.
    For example lets pretend that we have 10 waits on the floor for an average 8 hour shift and want to bring their wage up to a whopping $8 per hour. In one year that would amount to approx. $175,000 just in hourly wages By the time you add in the employers portion of payroll taxes, etc. how much do you think that $20 steak will cost you now?

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    My problem with this fluff, is that MOST (not all) servers are paid less than minimum wage. When I was a server at a five star restaurant in Birmingham, Alabama - I started out at $2.13 an hour. If people didn't tip us, well it's obvious that survival was not possible.
    Sorry to sound harsh, bit like I said earlier, not my problem

My groceries are always beautifully packed away at the store, the packers never expect a tip and they aren't exactly earning top dollar.

I just hate the fact that tipping is expected, no matter what the quality of service is.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Fluff, don't pay by credit card! Some places will charge your card the tip and it may be more than what you wanted to leave, if any.

I, too, worked in a restaurant for many years, ranging from server to bartender at a country club to manager. I tend to tip on the high side and I try to be cognizant of why service is slow--sometimes it's not the server's fault! I don't, however, like to be hovered over during a meal. Once I have a drink and my order is taken, don't ask me every five minutes if I need a refill. If my glass looks empty or the bread basket needs refilled, THEN ask. Ask me once after I've had my food a few minutes if everything is ok, then STAY AWAY until you clear the plates.

I do tip in hotels if there is turndown service or if I'm horrendously busy the whole time I'm there and make a mess that is neat and tidy when I return. I usually give a dollar or two a day in that case.

I tip the hairdresser, the pizza guy (especially if the weather is bad), Starbucks if I pay with cash and have change leftover, the Skycap at the airport, and the taxi driver. I DO NOT tip if I'm picking up take-out, even if the cashier point blank asks me if I need to leave a tip on my credit card receipt.

I'm lucky to have found an Aveda spa that is a no-tipping establishment, so when I have a pedicure or massage, I don't tip. I know the tip is built into the price, but it's nice not to have a billion little envelopes for everyone that "works" on you.

I have a difficult time tipping at buffets when I am dragged there with my grandpa.

Did you know food service workers are some of the most-audited by the IRS?? I used to be a tax preparer in a previous life as well...heh heh.

Originally posted by fluff
    I just hate the fact that tipping is expected, no matter what the quality of service is.
    I totally agree with that part of your statement. I've had numerous servers work for me that I've had to fire for working with that kind of attitude. However, for every one with that attitude there are 5 more busting their ass to put food on the table for a family, buy books and pay tuition to better themselves, put a roof over their families head, etc. There are a bunch of people in this world who take a job as a server, maid, etc. because it is the only thing that either fits in with child care, or whatever their reason might be. Not every one is a rocket scientist and has the skills needed to make $100,000 a year.
    This as a tender subject for me. After my father died in the early 60's my mom (God rest her soul) raised 5 kids on $25 a week plus tips.

+ Reply to Thread