+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Tipping

MRD

Re: Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2713202;
    I grew up about 10 minutes from the Whistle Stop Cafe. It's actually called the Irondale Cafe and has wonderful Southern food. My parents still eat there at least once a week. They have several other cookbooks available, but it's much more fun just to go there and eat!
    I want to go there. I have the cookbook and use it quite a bit. My mac and cheese recipe actually came out of that cookbook.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

When I went to get my haircut and was paying by credit card, they asked me, "Would you like to leave 15%, 18% or 20% tip?" That question just annoyed me. I tip my stylist well (and always with cash after the cut is done so she has it NOW and doesn't have to wait for the charge slips to be tallied at the end of the day), but I don't like being told how much to tip. I suppose it could be of service for people who never know how much to tip...but still...

Someone at work was livid 'cause they had a large party go to a buffet--maybe about 50 people--and the restaurant automatically added 20% gratuity onto the bill for their party. I have mixed feelings--on the one hand, the bus boys are clearing the tables etc. and working hard. On the other, the diners did most of the work serving themselves. They just didn't clear their own tables. (For what it's worth, if I had gone with my own little family, I would've left a 20% tip at least.)

Is there an automatic option for tipping? Or do you have a choice not to leave the tip via the card. Here we have a 10%, 15%, and 20% or $$ options, but we also have the option to leave nothing. I prefer paying by cash for tips as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2729407;
    When I went to get my haircut and was paying by credit card, they asked me, "Would you like to leave 15%, 18% or 20% tip?" That question just annoyed me. I tip my stylist well (and always with cash after the cut is done so she has it NOW and doesn't have to wait for the charge slips to be tallied at the end of the day), but I don't like being told how much to tip. I suppose it could be of service for people who never know how much to tip...but still...
    I too, tip the cutter WELL in cash. If I were asked that question I would say Not tipping- sorry, and make sure the stylist has the tip before the question gets asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2729407;
    Someone at work was livid 'cause they had a large party go to a buffet--maybe about 50 people--and the restaurant automatically added 20% gratuity onto the bill for their party. I have mixed feelings--on the one hand, the bus boys are clearing the tables etc. and working hard. On the other, the diners did most of the work serving themselves. They just didn't clear their own tables. (For what it's worth, if I had gone with my own little family, I would've left a 20% tip at least.)
    I can understand that person being livid, but let me tell you from my experience as a restaurant manager years ago, the bussers worked just as hard if not harder than the servers, so I would say that 20% was 20% well spent.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2729565;
    I can understand that person being livid, but let me tell you from my experience as a restaurant manager years ago, the bussers worked just as hard if not harder than the servers, so I would say that 20% was 20% well spent.
    And it was 50 people. I pretty much expect that any party over 6 is going to have mandatory tipping included on the bill.

I am torn on the tipping issue because it's supposed to be a gratuity, which just by definition is supposed to be voluntary. Yes, there are cheapskates and that may be one of the reasons more and more places are asking how much gratuity you'd like to leave--to make you uncomfortable enough to shame you into leaving at least 15%? I like leaving tips, but I don't like being told how much I should leave.

I just saw a tip jar at Jimmy John's (a sandwich fast food joint) the other day. Really? Are they going to have it at McDonald's next?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2731291;
    And it was 50 people. I pretty much expect that any party over 6 is going to have mandatory tipping included on the bill.

I am torn on the tipping issue because it's supposed to be a gratuity, which just by definition is supposed to be voluntary. Yes, there are cheapskates and that may be one of the reasons more and more places are asking how much gratuity you'd like to leave--to make you uncomfortable enough to shame you into leaving at least 15%? I like leaving tips, but I don't like being told how much I should leave.

I just saw a tip jar at Jimmy John's (a sandwich fast food joint) the other day. Really? Are they going to have it at McDonald's next?
    I actually read that Miss Manners says you don't have to leave tips in tip jars at places like that or at Starbuck's, etc. I found that interesting because I am torn as to what to do in that situation. I was also under the impression that places like that pay more than a server in a restaurant that waits on your table.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The only time I do is at the church coffee house. They use the tips to help fund various ministries so I just toss the change in the pot.

I have a personal trainer....what should I tip her for Christmas?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I never tip on the charge card. Always in cash... I look at it like, a tip is my way of saying thank you for making my experience enjoyable. It's not part of the pay that they recieve for being at work and putting in hours for the boss, so I don't feel like they should be taxed as such. I know "technically" they are supposed to report tips, but honestly I've never known a wait staff or housekeeping person who did.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;2731549;
    I never tip on the charge card. Always in cash... I look at it like, a tip is my way of saying thank you for making my experience enjoyable. It's not part of the pay that they recieve for being at work and putting in hours for the boss, so I don't feel like they should be taxed as such. I know "technically" they are supposed to report tips, but honestly I've never known a wait staff or housekeeping person who did.
    The IRS has automatic amounts they add to a persons tax based on income and averages of people who are in tipped positions. Maybe Unklescott could enlighted me more, it's been many years since I managed a dining room
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread