+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 247

Thread: Tipping

  1. #171
    Stuck In The 80's hvymetalchik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    155

    Re: Tipping

    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2548696;
    They used to skate here. I had one wipe out under the front of my truck. Luckily she wasn't hurt. I think they leave it up to the carhops at our Sonic.

    I thought about you this morning, I stopped by Sonic for a smoothie and tipped the guy. You are not the only one.
    Where's my cherry-limeade slush?

  2. #172
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,109

    Re: Tipping

    I got thirsty.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  3. #173
    would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,916

    Re: Tipping

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2548879;
    I was glad to see that about the tip jars too. But if I do get a very nice barista, I do leave a tip.

    I was also glad to see the policy regarding US mail carriers. I have never believed in tipping them. I already pay their salary in postage and taxes. And I know for a fact that they make more than my husband does. I do however usually give them homemade treats and a card at Christmas. I'm not a total scrooge!
    I always tip my mailman at Christmas - and the UPS guy - they bust their butts...

  4. #174
    Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,521

    Re: Tipping

    My brother worked as a mailman for awhile, and he was told that he was not allowed to accept any cash tips. If someone left a gift card or cookies or something like that, then he was allowed to take it. If it was cash, he was supposed to just leave it.
    Wake up and be awesome

  5. #175
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063

    Re: Tipping

    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;2556435;
    My brother worked as a mailman for awhile, and he was told that he was not allowed to accept any cash tips. If someone left a gift card or cookies or something like that, then he was allowed to take it. If it was cash, he was supposed to just leave it.
    There are rules for what mail carriers can and cannot accept...I think our mail carriers aren't allowed to accept gifts valued at more than $20...I always give our mail carrier a gift valued for more than that, but since I take the price tag off, she doesn't know how much it's worth so I hope that's OK. I usually also give her a plate of my homemade cookies (I make good cookies!), too.

    How much do you all tip at buffets? I'm not talking about the buffets where you do everything...but at the ones where someone comes around and takes away your plates, refills your soda/water glasses, offers to carry your food to the table for you etc. I usually leave 15% or 20% there as well, even though they don't have to work as hard as at full service restaurants. I figure they're probably still being underpaid and could use the tip money, and it's not a big deal for me to leave that tip.

  6. #176
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,109

    Re: Tipping

    My mom always told me to tip at buffets the same as restaurants. They get paid wait staff pay and work just as hard. A lot of times there is more because most buffets are all you can eat so they are constantly clearing plates.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  7. #177
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063

    Re: Tipping

    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2556545;
    My mom always told me to tip at buffets the same as restaurants. They get paid wait staff pay and work just as hard. A lot of times there is more because most buffets are all you can eat so they are constantly clearing plates.
    You have a very kind-hearted mother...

    The husband and I just had lunch today at a salad bar buffet. We were the only ones to tip our busboy in our vicinity of 12 tables (this is one of those places where you pay for the buffet price before you enter the dining room). The thing that was really irritating was that these busboys were carrying food and plates over for some of these families, and not one of them slipped the guys a couple of bucks...

    Not that I go to buffets that often, but it seems that most people do NOT tip. So I would like to know how the wait staff survives. And how do the restaurant managers justify underpaying them knowing that most workers at a buffet (as opposed to a regular restaurant) will NOT get tipped.

    I know we've gone through this before and Unkle Scott spelled out how some of this plays out... but it still doesn't seem to make sense. I wish that restaurants would pay their staff more than minimum wage and NOT rely on tips to make up the rest of their salary. This means that a good server who gets stiffed a lot by cheap patrons won't be making what they should.

    This buffet cost us a little over $20. A 15% tip would be $3. We would've still gone regardless of whether it cost us $20 or $23-$24. OK, now let's talk about a place where it's more expensive...where it'll cost $100 for two people. I would still go out for sushi or a nice steak, regardless of whether the base price was $100 or $120 (the 20% tip already factored in).

    If the argument is that servers won't bother to work hard if they know they're not working for tips, well then, maybe they should be fired and replaced with servers who will work hard for their salaries. But it just seems that with the tip system, too many servers are losing out on what they should be making...

    Ech. This won't change in the U.S. in my lifetime...

  8. #178
    She luvs me not?!?!?! Vonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Tipping

    My daughter is a substitute rural mail carrier and you are correct, they can't accept cash.

    She's a fairly new carrier.........I am amazed at the rudeness of some of the people on her routes. They won't trim bushes (they scratch her car) that grow around their mail boxes, won't put their name or address number on their boxes...which is really tough because sometimes they'll have 3 mail boxes on their property with no idea who's box belongs to whom.....another frustration for her is the boxes outside some huge beautiful farmer's house and the box is falling apart, barely standing. She has scratched her car many times because of the laziness of the mail box owners...

    Now the perks.....fresh fruit! Yummy. Some people leave a bag of fresh fruit for her with her name on it by the box... Makes up for all the rude people on the routes..

    I know for a fact, if people would follow the rules for the upkeep, etc of the mail boxes, it would save the substitute carriers at least an hour out of the scortching summer sun would be all the tip or gift any carrier could ask for.
    BTW Rural carriers get paid by the route, not by the hour...who knew
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

  9. #179
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Tipping

    Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2557365;
    My daughter is a substitute rural mail carrier and you are correct, they can't accept cash.

    She's a fairly new carrier.........I am amazed at the rudeness of some of the people on her routes. They won't trim bushes (they scratch her car) that grow around their mail boxes, won't put their name or address number on their boxes...which is really tough because sometimes they'll have 3 mail boxes on their property with no idea who's box belongs to whom.....another frustration for her is the boxes outside some huge beautiful farmer's house and the box is falling apart, barely standing. She has scratched her car many times because of the laziness of the mail box owners...

    Now the perks.....fresh fruit! Yummy. Some people leave a bag of fresh fruit for her with her name on it by the box... Makes up for all the rude people on the routes..

    I know for a fact, if people would follow the rules for the upkeep, etc of the mail boxes, it would save the substitute carriers at least an hour out of the scortching summer sun would be all the tip or gift any carrier could ask for.
    BTW Rural carriers get paid by the route, not by the hour...who knew

    When we moved into this house, we had a holly bush around the mailbox that was in bad need of a trim. Well, the house needed to be cleaned before moving in and moving in was a pain, in and of itself. About the 5th day we had been here, still desperately trying to find the coffee pot, we got a printed form on our mailbox from the USPS saying that if we did NOT trim the bush, they would NOT deliver the mail. I think that is a good thing. We just hadn't thought about it as we had been up to our necks in the actual move. Now we trim regularly.

    I do do something for the UPS man. My BIL was one for 30 years and I know how hard they work, especially around the holidays. I just don't believe in tipping government employees. But I do give my mailperson a gift. And since this one is in LOVE with our dogs, last year, I signed the card from them. She thought that was a scream.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  10. #180
    She luvs me not?!?!?! Vonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Tipping

    Tips/Gifts are so difficult to come up with for people you don't know personally. If you're not at home when the mail carrier comes, then you never get acquainted with him/her......I guess a box of candy could work..



    If you were on my daughter's route,myrosiedog, she would love you
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.