+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Re: Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2481441;
    cricketeen... I would suggest that when you order liquor you ask them to put it on a seperate bill because no, I don't agree with your logic on tipping less on drink nights. The only person that you're hurting is your server, as it takes your server the same amount of effort, if not more, to get you a drink at the bar instead of getting you a soft drink. They have to deal with the schedule of a separate person that throws off their control of being able to serve you quickly, etc. And then they have to split that portion of the tip... the restaurant still calculates the bartender's portion based upon the price of the drink, which you've now adjusted with a lower overall tip.. so you've taken money away from your waiter/waitress.

Like Unk said... why does it make sense to do that for a drink and not for a more expensive food item? I don't get it.
    My original post stated that my problem is with drinks and was about the gross discrepancy in their costs and how it affects the tip. What if I had worded the post to state that I usually tip 15 18% (still the going rate here) unless I drink water; then I add in a little more to make up for the fact that I did not order a vastly over-priced glass of wine? Would it sit better with you to think I was giving more rather than taking away?

I will argue that the soft drink takes effort, too since the server makes multiple trips for refills, which do not add to that whopping $.30 portion of the tip (20% of 1.50).

Mikesgal, I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2480485;
    At least 20 - 30%, usually.

And if someone is TRULY crappy, NOTHING.

I don't mind trying to do my fair share, but if you give me attitude, keep me waiting until the Second Coming (ESPECIALLY if I am one of only four or five people in the entire room), I'll wait until you see fit to acknowledge me, then tell you with a smile: "No, thanks. I don't want it.". After which, I'll use my feet to agitate the gravel getting out of your place.

And if you have REALLY sucked, I'll ask to see/speak to a manager before I boogie out the door. I won't raise my voice or create a scene in either instance, but whoever I speak to will definitely be aware that I'm not going to utilize their business anymore, WHY I'm not going to, and that I will definitely inform others I know about my experience in that establishment.

Sorry if that seems/comes across as mean, but I can get poor treatment on the streets. I don't need to come in to a "professional" place of business and pay for that.

I never tip nothing. If I have had bad service, then I leave a very, very small tip. Sometimes with a note explaining WHY you only got $1 for a 50 meal.
    Because if you leave nothing, they may think you forgot. I don't want them to forget WHY I did not tip much.
    This is why I don't understand that people that work for tips can be so rude, or give such horrible, crappy service.
    I usually tip 20% or more depending.

But I only leave $1 if it was bad service. I want them to know how I felt about not getting refills, being ignored, having food thrown down the table to me, having to go FIND someone to refill our glasses or get our check, etc.

I tip 20% at the hairdressers as well. But as I haven't had a haircut since Nov., then I haven't had that problem.

My husband has been known to leave 50 cents on the table for really bad service.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The problem I have at the hairdresser's is that one person will wash, another colour, and sometimes another person cuts. I tip 15 to 20 percent and give it to the receptionist (in view and earshot of one of the people involved in the haircut) to be split between them.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I usually go to the same stylist to cut my hair and have my hair dyed (um, not that I dye my hair); and then the person who washes my hair is always someone different--usually the newest person in the salon. I usually give $2 to the person who washes my hair and 15%-20% to my stylists.

I have been to some salons where the stylist will have his or her apprentice work on my hair while he/she tends to another client. Then the main stylist starts the procedure and finishes and styles the hair; but may leave the busy work to his assistant. Sometimes it was as many as 3 or 4 people working on my hair. At that point, I leave 15% to 20% for the primary stylist and tell him/her to make sure that everyone on his team gets a portion of it. That seemed to work out well.

Mr. Lane goes to Supercuts where it'll cost just $12 for his haircut. He usually gives the stylist a $4 or $5 tip cause the cuts are so cheap. (It's the same principal we use in dining out at cheap breakfast places or Thai restaurants--we tip more than 20% because everything is so cheap to begin with and those servers/stylists have to pay rent and feed their families, too.)
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-19-2007 at 04:57 PM.

FORT Fan

Okay, so for my daughters 120.00 cut and highlight job, I should be tipping 24.00? I ask because that is what I usually tip but just wanted to make sure.

I use supercuts also and I always give a 5.00 tip myself. Mikesgal - That sounds right what you're tipping. It is usually the primary stylist who should divvy up the tip among those who did any work.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I got this link a long while ago (I think it was you Jewels!!)

Tipping Etiquette Guide at FindaLink.net

I found it very helpful for tipping guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;2482235;
    Okay, so for my daughters 120.00 cut and highlight job, I should be tipping 24.00? I ask because that is what I usually tip but just wanted to make sure.
    My haircut/color/highlight is about the same cost and I leave pretty much the same, just rounded up to the easy $25. I'm thankful that my stylist does all the work on my hair (he does all the washing, coloring, cutting, styling himself) so there's no extra people to add into the equation.

The only time I tip any differently is during the holiday season and I'll put some extra or a gift card into a card as an extra thank you.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Tipping food deliverymen

I just read a story in the New York Times about how many deliverymen are trying to survive on a base pay of something ridiculously low like $1.75/hour plus tips....and that people are often very stingy with their tips. They'll order $47 worth of takeout and only tip $3. I know we have some folks here who've worked in the food service industry and/or delivering food... If you have enough money to order food to be delivered to your home, please don't forget to tip the delivery guy (or gal). Chances are they are not being paid a decent base wage and need our tips to pay their own bills.

And if you don't have enough to tip decently, make the food yourself at home! That can be just as tasty...and cheap!

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;2481787;
    What do you all tip on highlights/haircut. My daughter gets her hair done and it costs $120.00. What would you tip for that?
    I tip high on everything if the service is decent. With my hairdresser (who charges a wee bit more than your daughter's) - I tip him forty to fifty dollars. Lots of money - especially since I go with my daughter and foot both of our bills...so that's eighty to a hundred dollars. My hairdresser doesn't need the money...he lives in a really nice home. But I just don't feel right tipping less. I think I set a precedent the first time I tipped him and now if I don't tip the same he might think he did a bad job.

I have no rules for tipping other than tip high unless the server is obnoxious. In restaurants, a small bill means a bigger percentage tip. I figure they work just as hard bringing me and my daughter sodas and a split dinner as they do if we ordered separate dinners (but who needs those calories?). So the server gets tipped 30-40%.

My people pleasing disorder shows up when I tip. I admit it. I want to be liked...even by strangers. I am so pathetic, huh?
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread