+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Re: Tipping

At least 20 - 30%, usually.

And if someone is TRULY crappy, NOTHING.

I don't mind trying to do my fair share, but if you give me attitude, keep me waiting until the Second Coming (ESPECIALLY if I am one of only four or five people in the entire room), I'll wait until you see fit to acknowledge me, then tell you with a smile: "No, thanks. I don't want it.". After which, I'll use my feet to agitate the gravel getting out of your place.

And if you have REALLY sucked, I'll ask to see/speak to a manager before I boogie out the door. I won't raise my voice or create a scene in either instance, but whoever I speak to will definitely be aware that I'm not going to utilize their business anymore, WHY I'm not going to, and that I will definitely inform others I know about my experience in that establishment.

Sorry if that seems/comes across as mean, but I can get poor treatment on the streets. I don't need to come in to a "professional" place of business and pay for that.
    Last edited by ness; 07-18-2007 at 05:43 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

Thanks for the help everyone!

Cricketeen, I agree with you about grandparents kind of being untouchable but I'm glad I got a second opinion on that. And generally she tips well so I think I'm okay on that one.

And where do I get one of those tip cards? Generally I just use my cell phone of figure out tips but that card sounds more discrete... and more fun.

mrs. tino, I don't use a card myself, but I did a rq (MissThing speak for real quick) search, and found this place:

Mannersmith ~ Tip Card

It's free, so can't beat that, .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2480059;
    But even if they split 50/50 (I don't know the standard) the server is still getting $1.40 as opposed to $.30. The amounts seems small, but like I added in my edit, if you put more drinkers at my table it adds up. It seems the other server gets the short shrift just because I had a drink, but I don't feel I should be held responsible for that and be expected to tip even more than 20%.
    cricketeen... I would suggest that when you order liquor you ask them to put it on a seperate bill because no, I don't agree with your logic on tipping less on drink nights. The only person that you're hurting is your server, as it takes your server the same amount of effort, if not more, to get you a drink at the bar instead of getting you a soft drink. They have to deal with the schedule of a separate person that throws off their control of being able to serve you quickly, etc. And then they have to split that portion of the tip... the restaurant still calculates the bartender's portion based upon the price of the drink, which you've now adjusted with a lower overall tip.. so you've taken money away from your waiter/waitress.

Like Unk said... why does it make sense to do that for a drink and not for a more expensive food item? I don't get it.

I would like to add an addendum to my long ago original post re: tipping. You know who doesn't get a good tip from me? Waitresses who only talk to Mr. Rattus when, as it turns out, I'm paying the bill. What year do they think this is, 1952? Also, the waitress who asked "got ya on a diet, has he" when I ordered a salmon fillet and a salad got no tip whatsoever. I don't care how jovial she though she was being, that was just plain rude.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

OMG... I would have skewered her, Rattus!

I'd definitely have asked to speak to the owner/manager in that case, Rattus. It's beyond rude.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2481460;
    I'd definitely have asked to speak to the owner/manager in that case, Rattus. It's beyond rude.
    Horrifyingly enough, I was on a first date and wasn't sure what sort of effect making a fuss would have on an incipient relationship (as it turns out, I could have done without that relationship ). Should something like that happen today, there would be fuss-making aplenty.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Rattus, I don't know what it is about me but whenever I go out to a restaurant with ANYONE, the server puts the bill right next to me! Even when I was single and dating... Maybe my dates looked like "scrubs"? (I know that's an old one, but I couldn't think of anything else!) I like the servers who put the bill in the middle...so that whoever wants to treat can. And if everyone's splitting the bill, then it's not uncomfortable for anyone.

Were your servers older women? Maybe in the era they grew up in, women did what they were told! ("Don't eat that!") Regardless, people should think before they talk... I still probably would've tipped them 'cause I'm a wimp who tips everyone, regardless of good or bad service! I really need to work on that.

FORT Fan

What do you all tip on highlights/haircut. My daughter gets her hair done and it costs $120.00. What would you tip for that?

+ Reply to Thread