+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Re: Tipping

mrstino.... that's a toughie. If I say anything.. I say it in a casual, joking manner. I then make sure that I say one thing and one thing only. Don't press the issue any further unless that person seems receptive and asks questions.

One problem that I have that goes hand in hand with that is when, in a large group of people, most of us pay in cash for our bills and then one person wants to pick it up on a credit card. I always tip 20-25% (previous pizza delivery chick) and have seen my credit card weilding friends leave a 10-15% tip on their card. So I know that they're pocketing everyone else's generous tips and it irks me to no end!

Just give them the amount of your food bill and leave your own tip then Broadway. I know what you mean, I see it all the time. I have also seen this where everyone throws tip $ on the table while one person pays and my staff has made out very well. We don't add in tips automatically for large groups at my restaurant. Most of the time it works out okay but there are the times when they get stiffed.

At 6.75%, I can't do the sales-tax-double-thingy. It doesn't come out to the right percent. If I've had a glass of wine and there is a table of babbling women all talking to me at once, out comes the cheat card!

Now, I might get into trouble with this post, but oh well.
    I don't take a blanket approach to tipping. Good service vs bad is one reason, but another is with drinks. To keep it simple, say I go to the same restaurant twice and the service is equal. The first visit I order a meal and a soft drink. Maybe the soft drink costs $1.50 with free refills. The next time I order the same food and since I feel a bit festive, have two margaritas at $7.00 each. At 20%, the tip on beverage alone is going to be $.30 for the soft drink, but $2.80 for the margaritas. Since the effort to wait on me is pretty much the same, is 20% fair for both servers? Even if the server tips the bartender the difference isn't equal. Is it fair to me to say I should tip more on the night I ordered a soft drink? What about the times I drink water? Add more margarita drinkers to my table and the difference really multiplies.
    Sorry, I round down a little on booze night - but never below 15% unless service is bad.
    (And just so you know, if I see the server is busting his or her butt, I'll tip extra).
    Last edited by cricketeen; 07-18-2007 at 12:48 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Hmmm... not being critical, cricketeen... but....

In situations where there is booze, what you are now dealing with are TWO people that get tips. Your server will have to split their tips with the bartender and the restaurants calculate what is "appropriate" for the drink amount. So if you're "shorting" the tip because it's booze... those two people now split the tip and your server is getting hurt when there is just as much effort involved on their part.

But even if they split 50/50 (I don't know the standard) the server is still getting $1.40 as opposed to $.30. The amounts seems small, but like I added in my edit, if you put more drinkers at my table it adds up. It seems the other server gets the short shrift just because I had a drink, but I don't feel I should be held responsible for that and be expected to tip even more than 20%.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Ahh, but using your philosophy cricketeen does that mean you feel you should only tip based on the cheapest item on the menu regardless of what you order? It takes the same effort from a server to serve a $8 salad as it does a $20 steak. Don't mind me I'm just playing the devil's advocate here.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2480186;
    Ahh, but using your philosophy cricketeen does that mean you feel you should only tip based on the cheapest item on the menu regardless of what you order? It takes the same effort from a server to serve a $8 salad as it does a $20 steak. Don't mind me I'm just playing the devil's advocate here.
    You said what I was thinking! It has to do with what you spent at the table. Your bill amount will be more for expensive items and your tip should still be based on that number. Just like when you have a coupon or gift certificate. I still tip on the amount I WOULD have paid without the discount. Don't know if that's the norm but that is what I usually do.

I understand where you are coming from Unkle, really, but I could order the most expensive thing at a diner for $5 and a 20% tip would come out to only $1. That isn’t nearly enough, because those servers work hard, too. So I bump up the tip to give the server a break - and all I’m saying is that in my example I want wiggle room to bump it down a bit to give me a break. I'm still tipping on bill total and from what I’ve read in other posts, 15 - 18% is fair. If I only ordered water to drink, everyone would lose.
    And yes, PGM, you are right to tip on bill total before coupon .
    Last edited by cricketeen; 07-18-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Percent sign goes after the number

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2480399;
    Just like when you have a coupon or gift certificate. I still tip on the amount I WOULD have paid without the discount. Don't know if that's the norm but that is what I usually do.
    That is the proper thing to do.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2480399;
    Just like when you have a coupon or gift certificate. I still tip on the amount I WOULD have paid without the discount. Don't know if that's the norm but that is what I usually do.
    Yup. I've even won dinners out in a few contests and they wouldn't give me a bill so that I could see what it would've cost...so I made a generous estimation and left a nice tip. Hey, it still came to way cheaper than I would've had to pay if I were paying for the entire meal and not just the tip.

I would like to point out that I have been out to dinner with some friends where they pulled out coupons when the bill came and wouldn't share it with all of us. So if their bill was $35 and they had a coupon worth $15, they only kicked in $20 and only tipped on that portion. Not that it's a big deal or anything, but I'm too embarrassed to pull out a coupon at a social get together. If it's just Mr. Lane and me, then it's not as embarrassing. But in a group outing? When I have gift certificates (like a $25 or $50 gift card), I tend to share that with everyone at the dinner table so that we all pay a little less. (Or again, if I didn't want to share, I'd just use it for Mr. Lane and me during our own dinners out--but I wouldn't use it in a group outing and then have everyone else kick in the full amount.)

+ Reply to Thread