+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Fort Member
    Its difficult to explain how it all works as our whole system is so different to yours. Most employers abide by the award which is a recommended wage calculated by unions and government bodies for each particular class of job. The minimum for most is around the $10 mark (under 21s, apprenticeships and traineeships are less). I work as a recruitment consultant but also used to work casually as a bar attendant for quite a few years. There is no way anyone in the country would work for $2:50 an hour as they can recieve more than that on unemployment. Our unemployment system is completely different to yours and imo way too easy but all of it adds up to partly explain why we are one of the highest taxed countries on the planet

Well to give a basis for comparison, I used to work as a waitress to help fund my studies and I was paid about $15+ an hour. Like Lucynda has mentioned, most waiters/waitresses are usually employed on a casual basis.
    I did receive tips but most of them were given to me by tourists, mostly Americans (not that I'm complaining )
    "You get what anyone gets - you get a lifetime."

Thanks so much for the explanation Lucynda! I totally gotcha now I enjoy learning about how things are in different places, and you did a great job explaining it!

Funny that I just came across this thread...my boyfriend and I were just talking about tipping our mechanic. I've always tipped when I had work done, he had never heard of this and thought it was weird. He's by no means cheap, will tip 35-45%...he actually tip the beer store girl $10 for a case of beer this weekend!

Does anyone know if it's customary to tip mechanics or am I being really generous?

I wouldn't tip a mechanic... They make quite a bit of money... Usually I get my work done by the dealer so I don't even meet the guy that actually does the work... I don't think it's customary... 35 - 45%?? Usually my bills are pretty high... A 45% tip sounds high for ANYTHING!

I would tip a tow truck driver... Especially if they came out in the middle of the night or in the pouring rain...

I wouldn't tip the beer store girl either... $10.00 sounds like a LOT! I'd probably just buy more beer with that...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie
    I wouldn't tip the beer store girl either... $10.00 sounds like a LOT! I'd probably just buy more beer with that...
    Same here! That's another 6 beer atleast. Lol! But he likes to come across as "a highroller" :rolleyes It's actually kinda pathetic actually ...but the clerks and servers certainly aren't complaining!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    We were talking about tips in the Koffee Klatch so I wanted to bump this thread...I'm looking forward to going back and catching up on the all great posts I missed. I didn't even know this thread existed until Unclescott gave me the heads up!

At our local grocery stores, the baggers get at least minimum wage. Lots of retail places pay minimum wage and I can't see being able to afford to tip workers in all those places. If the person behind the register at McDonalds makes the same as the grocery bagger, then should people start tipping the cashiers at restaurants? The way I see it is if they are making at least minimum wage, tipping is not expected or necessary. I do realize minimum wage is not a living wage, but that's they way it is unfortunately. With hard work, someone can get raises or use their experience for better paying jobs. That's the cycle.

I think most hairdresses rent their chairs, so maybe that's why tipping goes on in that industry. But Lois you raised a good question in the other thread about tipping some jobs over another. I would love to hear from a member who is or was a hairdresser on how their salary worked out and was tipping part of what makes their salary or just "gravy."

At the local commissary on post, tipping is still the unspoken rule. Although I really don't know how much the baggers get paid. I'd like to find out but would be embarrased to ask an employee. They bag and carry out your groceries without you having a say in it. I've never actually said I'll carry my own stuff out so I don't know if I can or not. I know I've seen people carry their own one or two bags out but I've never seen anyone with a buggy full of groceries loading them into their own car. It's been this way at every base I've ever been to. Maybe the workers are getting minimum wage now. It's almost like if you did bring your own cart out, everyone would be staring at you and wondering who is this cheapskate who is trying to buck the system? However, I read in the Koffee Klatch thread that someone said the tipping at commissaries used to be .50 to $1 a bag! I can't do that. I have at least 10 bags or more and just can't tip that generously. I usually give $2 or $3. They are finished putting my groceries up in just a few short minutes and then they are back in the store to new customers. If they get a few bucks per customer, they probably make at least $8 an hour with how quick they are in and out.

I know we've talked about all this before. Didn't someone say if a person's job is to put their hands on you - spa employees, hairdressers, etc. that you tip? But do spa employees such as masseurs and manicurist/pedicurists get at least minimum wage or is their salary tied to their tips?

On my cruise, tipping was included in our package but people still feel the need to tip over and above that.

Where do you draw the line with tipping so that it doesn't become such a budget breaker that you can't even go out anymore? I'm sure everyone would love to get tips in their jobs but it's just not feasible. I think if we knew which jobs tipping was actually part of a person's salary, it would make it easier to decide when and how much to tip.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 03-28-2007 at 07:53 AM.

At most restaurants, I'll tip 20% (sometimes a little extra because I don't give change. I'll round it up to the next dollar. So if the tip is supposed to be 2.04, I'll give 3). At the Chinese restaurant I go to on Friday nights, instead of the usual 15%, they actually request 18%. I'm not really sure why. Anyway, again, I usually round the tip up to the next dollar. So if the tip is supposed to be 2.18, I give 3.00. Our usual waitresses there work very hard and they have a lot of work to do because the room we're in for Karaoke is huge and when it's busy, and there are only 2 waitresses in there, they have to do the whole room (Sometimes close to 100 people). So I tip really well.
    Pizza delivery or any other food delivery, I usually tip 1.00-2.00 Chinese a little bit more.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I tip the standard 15-20% at restaurants, food delivery, hotel maid service and valet parking. The only other person I tip is my barber. He charges $12, I give him $20 with no change back (a 67% tip). He's around 70 and complains constantly that he can't retire because no one comes into his shop anymore, so he hasn't been able to put any money aside, and he doesn't do a particularly good job cutting my hair (doesn't do what I ask for and I usually have to fix it when I get home), but empathy keeps me going to him because I'm hoping to see him safely and comfortably retired some day.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread