+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you nosy?

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Are you nosy?

I have to admit I can be a very nosy person. I did not realize how much until this weekend.

An armed standoff began on Friday afternoon and finally ended after 48 hours, right here at the end of my block. (He surrendered) Since we were not in the direct line of fire, we were not evacuated but could sort of come and go as we pleased (with some questioning by the police at the other end of the block). Most of my neighbors know each other and each night this weekend we all congregated and discussed what was going on. Since one set of neighbors were acquaintances and co workers of the armed gunman we were hearing some inside information that the public will never know. But we couldn't just stay away. Some people had binoculars and police scanners. There were SWAT teams all over, snipers on top of buildings, artillery out the wazoo and other members of society added some more drama. One guy burst through the police barricade and was tackled, but produced a knife and slit his own throat! It was like living our own episode of COPS! Of course some of us were concerned for the guy, some were concerned about our daily routines (as businesses such as the grocery store, drug store, liquor store and beer store were all behind police lines), and some we concerned about our own personal safety or how to explain this to our children.

So what category do you fall into? When there are cops/fire/ambulance are you out on your front steps watching the drama unfold, or are you inside oblivious to the whole situation. Do you talk amongst your neighbors or hide stealthily behind your drapes? Or do you not give a damn? Are you nosy???
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I'm in the "I don't give a damn" category. Unless I'm directly affected by whatever is going on, then I couldn't care-less Wow...I sound cold now

We are ALL NOSY Busy Bodies whether we wanna admit it or not....

We have been caught in heavy traffic thats going sooooooo slooooow you could ya know what.....
    It seems like FOREVER and you hear that theres an accident report bulletin announced on the radio you are listening too....

You say to yourself NO WONDER!
    Then you pull up and see at least 2 cop cars and a whats left off a car or 2 or more if there is. As these cars passing this wreckage who are we looking at?

- The poilceman?
    - The Firetruck/ Ambulance Workers?
    - Or The Wreckage of The Car?

We obviously look at the damaged car right?

I try not to be too obnoxious about this, but... I do want to know what's going on; especially if there's any "dirt" involved. I won't spread it but I'm not above listening, looking, or discussing with those present . And to some of you it's probably obvious that I can't stand it if I don't get to put my 2 cents worth in!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I'm not really nosy. On second thought, I don't think I'm nosy at all. I make it a point not to look at the wreck on the side of the freeway (mostly because that would make my ranting about other people's need to rubberneck hypocritical). Also, I will only listen to someone giving me the "dirt" on someone or something if making him/her stop would be impolite. But I don't really care either way about the "dirt" unless, of course, it affects me personally.
    Last edited by Zaius; 07-26-2004 at 05:30 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Me too, it's like my Aunt used to say, 'if you haven't anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me."

I can be very nosy but know when to stay out of peoples business. If I ask them a question I can usually tell when they don't want to answer it. But if someone tells me something in confidence I have a lot of nosy friends and I never tell them.

I am a bit nosy. I love to know what's going on, but I never run around talking about it. I just want to know!

As far as car wrecks and such, I do look but I don't hold up traffic or stare like an idiot. I don't like seeing people hurt.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

A few years ago, there was a serious house fire acroos the street and a few houses down from my house. Of course I didn't have much choice but to go outside and watch what with the flashing lights from the trucks in fromt of my house and hearing sirens for an hour. You would not believe the amount of people that appeared on my street to watch the fire. There were people that had walked from six blocks away. I just could not imagine walking that far to see a house fire. (No one was hurt and the firefighters saved the house.) But then the next week, I caught myself walking two blocks to see what at first seemed to be another hose fire. I joined the masses of people who were walking down the street. We got there just in time to see two fiefighters dragging out a smoking mattress. That was it. The whole fire. I felt so stupid for having walked that far for a mattress that I decided I was just being nosy and unless it affected me in some way, I would not do it again.

I am curious. I don't mind hearing "gossip", but I usually won't ask questions unless I know the person is willing to say anything. Most of the time I just listen to what people have to say.

As for firetrucks etc..., yes, I will usually take the time to see what's going on, especially if it's on my street.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast