+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Vacation photos

Re: Vacation photos

Just a few more!
    This is a view from a little 12 passenger plane I rode over to Ambergris Caye.

The view out of my hotel room. These kids would catch bait in the cast net, then go out in a kayak where one would paddle and the other would troll a bait on his rod and reel. Lots of fun to watch!

Then again, not everything is beautiful--this is typical Belize traffic, with vehicles coming and going and passing in all directions at once. I don't know how I failed to capture at least one whole family including a baby on a single bicycle, or the bicyclists weaving through traffic loaded down with five gallon water containers. I saw exactly that all over the place, even out on the so-called highways where I would top a hill and meet a one speed bicycle meandering all over the road, headed in an indeterminate direction--at the same time a car attempted to pass on the left and right at the same time. Oh, and the two foot tall speed bumps; some are marked, some are not. I won't get into a big description of the roads either, just to say that the bottom snap is of a typical Belizian Highway, and that the entire distance is generally in the same shape if not worse.

I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I always love seeing your vacation pics, QueenB. When did you go? My three stepchildren were just in Belize with their mom and her family (they did a cruise). They had a good time, but were somewhat constrained in their activities because of the cruise environment. I think they liked the night they spent in New Orleans better than any of the foreign countries they visited.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I just got back Sunday night, Star. I've got to admit my vacations aren't usually run of the mill because I do the el-cheapo plan which I find to be more fun. I've always got an eye out for a 'deal"!

Nice photos queenb

They were there at the end of December. I'm not one for the all-inclusive, planned-out-for-me vacations, either. The idea of a cruise has always seemed too structured for me. I'm a little more free-spirited than that would allow me to be.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

Great photos Queenb, sounds like a fun trip
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Beautiful pictures QueenB. Those Mayan ruins are beautiful and somewhat different from the ones in Mexico.
    The last picture made me laugh. It could be a picture of any road in Québec.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3352285;
    . . . The last picture made me laugh. It could be a picture of any road in Québec.
    Or in San Diego after more than a half-inch of rain!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ellen, when I was in San Diego it wasn't the volume of traffic that was new to me, it was the....weirdness. It seemed to me that quite a large percentage of drivers there carry the surfer attitude into the car with them, and just do whatever; whenever, but not in any real hurry.
    The Belize traffic, though, is almost impossible to describe without sounding as if I'm just full of it. First, you notice that no matter how bad the road, and whether you are on a blind curve, hill, heavy traffic or whatever, every single driver wants to be ahead of the rest, so it's not uncommon to have a vehicle passing on the left and one in the dirt on the right; if you are a native and are being passed, you do NOT slow down or give way, no matter what, so the little clump of cars may go a quarter mile or more before anyone 'wins'. Also, Belizians never apply the brakes until they are ready to stop, NOW, even in,parking lots (well , unless they are right-there at the car destroying speed breakers_. They whip into the lot, and are still maybe going 15-20 mph into the spot they want to park, then stand on the brakes. There are no true, marked parking spots so it's nothing precise in the parking arrangement, but still . Throw in the traffic 'bumps' and huge speed breakers (which provide a perfect opportunity for passing!) Don't let me forget the bicycles; old single speeds that the people ride weaving all over the road, and possibly carrying anything from a family of four (counting the woman on the back fender holding a tiny baby, and the toddler riding on the handlebars) to a couple of five gallon buckets of paint. There are also any other kind of conveyences you can imagine, from mopeds to wheellbarrows. Obviously there are pedestrians too.
    Anyway, I'll sum up before I write a whole magazine article; I have never, ever, experienced anything remotely like driving in Belize. No, it wasn't quite like what you see on "the Amazing Race" when the teams go to India, but only because of the volume. I came home and Atalanta traffic seemed positively tranquil!

MRD

I was just going to say sounds like traffic in India, but add in cows wandering around the roads and British roundabouts. And what is it about the "macho" attitude of drivers in countries like Belize and Italy that think no one can ever pass them as it's an affront to their manhood. It's ridiculous.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread