+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacation photos

Premium Member

Re: Vacation photos

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2581076;

I had no idea the great lakes shores and water were so beautiful.
    I read an article in a magazine awhile back by someone who spent her vacation driving all the way around Lake Superior. The pictures were breathtaking, especially the ones taken on the Canadian side. I think that would be an awesome trip for someday in the future.

We have heard that the best way to see the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is to take one of the boat tours. We didn't have time this trip but if we ever get back up there we will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2581650;
    I read an article in a magazine awhile back by someone who spent her vacation driving all the way around Lake Superior. The pictures were breathtaking, especially the ones taken on the Canadian side. I think that would be an awesome trip for someday in the future.

We have heard that the best way to see the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is to take one of the boat tours. We didn't have time this trip but if we ever get back up there we will do it.
    If you really like to get away from it all, top that trip off with a trip out to Isle Royale National Park. Of course, you have to make ferry and lodge reservation a long time in advance. When we went 25 years ago, we made ours a year ahead of time. No vehicles, no pets (they might interfere with the wolf-moose balance). We were there a week and I saw one piece of litter (a pop cap) on our last day. There is backcountry backpacking too. Very interesting place and the ranger talks were extremely informative, not like some of the fluff I've heard more accessible National Parks. My bedroom had floor to ceiling windows and as it faced north over an inlet of the lake, I went to sleep watching the Northern Lights almost every night. We saw moose, but no wolves, although we heard some howling.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Love the pics, Marleybone!!

Nice shots, Marleybone! (but for some reason, I've always pictured you with hair the color of a Golden Retriever! )
    I think I'd like the Isle Royale trip, as well as the Lake Surperior one
    And Dagwood, to me the bison are still a big deal, even if there are hundreds of them. We sat out one evening and used the binoculars to watch a herd, and the little babies were running and playing, the big onees having shoving matches--a good bit was actually going on there!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2582114;
    And Dagwood, to me the bison are still a big deal, even if there are hundreds of them. We sat out one evening and used the binoculars to watch a herd, and the little babies were running and playing, the big onees having shoving matches--a good bit was actually going on there!
    I'm with you, they are wonderful animals. When we drove by the heard the first time, a huge Bison walked out in the middle of the road and stopped. He alternated between dancing around and just standing there as if to say "haha you can't stop me" What really got me were the idiot tourists who were out of their cars, within 10 feet to get a good picture.

I'm enjoying everyone's vacation pictures!

Here are a few from our vacation in June. We visited my great-aunt (who will be 90 soon) in beautiful Charleston, South Carolina. We also visited the Columbia, SC Zoo and caught up with some friends in Atlanta on the way home.

The first two pictures were taken on our horse/carriage tour of downtown Charleston. The third picture is of Fort Sumter and it was taken during our harbor cruise. We didn't actually go to Fort Sumter this time, but I have been there before and it is very interesting. Picture number four is me and a cannon at Patriot's Point in Mt. Pleasant. The bridge in the background crosses the harbor between Charleston and Mt. Pleasant. The last picture is of me on a bench in front of "the avenue of oaks" at Boone Hall. This is the plantation where "North and South" was filmed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I haven't been to Charleston in a while, but it's a great place to visit. I'm not sure the bridge in your picture is the one I have in mind, but I believe it's the Mount Pleasant one that is so scary to me--has a big curve in it along with really skinny lanes or some other feature I seem to have sucessfully blotted out of my mind. And I don't scare easily!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

QueenB: The bridge in my picture was finished in 2005. It replaced that scary bridge that you mentioned. The old bridge scared me to death too but this one is much more fun to drive over. It also has a pedestrian/bike lane and my parents walked across it when they were there last fall.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Like Lucy, I went to Alaska over the summer. I was looking through the pics and realized A) It can be quite cold in Alaska, even in July and B) This seems to be a common theme for me.

Alaska 2007 and Chicago 2004
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

So, it's been months since I was last on this website. I'm sure I have a lot to catch up on! In the meantime, here are some pictures from what I've been up to lately...this past summer, at least. I spent 5 weeks in New Hampshire at a camp for music composition. Best 5 weeks of the whole year, I have to say - it was a really awesome place. Anyway, even though I took lots and lots of pictures there, I have very few of us doing musicky things...go figure.

A few scenic views:

My composition class:

A few people at the inside of a piano:

The most beautiful prank, along with a nice view of the campus lawn:

The sunset of the last night/morning:
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread