+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacation photos

I'll be in Arizona in November, maybe I'll get some good pics. Any FORTers in AZ?
    I went to school in Tempe, AZ, eva! I just moved back to Minnesota. My last year of school there I lived in Mesa. Whereabouts are you staying?

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    (P.S. I hate Dallas Fort-Worth International. If there is a hell, I will spend eternity in DFW.)
    ARRRRRRRRGHHH... that's my least favorite airport as well. It does, indeed, have it's own special place in hell.

Star... I've flown into both and DFW actually takes the cake with it's messed up, spread out floorplan. Heaven help anyone ( ) that has a short layover where your plane runs over... OJ Simpson in his best Hertz sprint could never make the connection. Hate the place... hate it!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Broadway, that's some avatar you've got there.

DFW is oh-for-three with me in terms of delays. We sat on the runway for four hours the last time I flew through DFW. I didn't want to use up my laptop's juice watching movies before we'd even left the ground, but I had no choice.

The battery died after I viewed Return of the King, right around the time Frodo and Sam had their lovers' spat. (Note to self: No more Peter Jackson movies in the laptop DVD player if you want to save battery life.)

I spent the rest of the flight looking through the "Air Mall" catalog, thinking that, yes, a $400 air purifier would be nice in my home.

Logan is bad, no doubt about it. I think the most irritating part about Logan is how hard it is to get to if you're traveling via Boston's public transportation system.

Or maybe my expectations for airports are simply too high. I also tend to believe that every airport and the people who pass through should be unique to the locale.

For example, when I fly through Heathrow, I expect to get off the plane and be among a bunch of Englishmen wearing black suits, bowler hats, and monocles. And when I'm in San Francisco International, I want to see surfers and hippie deadbeats. And when I'm in Dallas, of course I expect to see cowboys in cowboy hats, cowboy boots, standing around lassoing ATM machines. The only one that fulfills my expectations is Dallas, alas...
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

at Phat's high expectations for airports.
    I've flown in or out of Heathrow two or three times, and never had problems with it, until July when I had to *drive* to get into Heathrow. Oh my god, the hellaciousness of the roads, the arrows pointing you this way and that, and the endless traffic circles just dwarfs any problems I've ever had once actually inside the airport.
    And I highly recommend Edinburgh for your next trip.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    I went North of Anchorage to Dnali NP and the Mat-Su valley, then went south on the Kenai Peninsula to Seward and Homer. I think Paulie is from Homer, which is just the absolutely coolest place! I might even have that shot of the backyard, because I took a ton of pics from up on the hills overlooking the town ! It looks really neat because there is a 5- mile long narrow 'spit' of land running out into the bay, which has all kinds of little beach type shops (mostly closed after labor day tho), restaurants, fishing boats, etc. Too bad they have that 'winter' thing up there or I might not have come back--seriously!
    That's really cool, queenb! I am, indeed, from Homer. And it is one of the most beautiful places on earth in the summertime. You're right, the winters are pretty bad, though I swear my recollections of northern Wyoming winters are worse. Because Homer's right on the ocean like that, its climate seems to be tempered year-round: not too hot, not too cool. I was just up there at the end of June, and that is the best time of year to visit because it's just before the really rainy part of the year. I wore shorts every day I was there (except one). I doubt you photographed my family's back yard, though, unless you took a detour in Anchor Point, a "suburb" of Homer which is about 20 miles north on the Sterling Highway. You probably passed through it and didn't notice. Anyway, that's where my family has lived for nearly 20 years. When I was going to school, they'd bus us in to Homer High from there because that's the closest high school.

Glad you had such a nice trip.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Paulie, you forget I'm a fisherman...I did in fact notice Anchor Point and the Anchor River! no luck there, but plenty elsewhere. I didn't post any 'fish' pictures because apparently it offends some of the animal fans. (Note to animal activists...don't go to Alaska. I saw several of PETA /environmentalist types that were upset over the furs, hunting stories, etc. that are everywhere you go up there. I love animals too, but I do eat them!)
    I've got to weigh in on the airport thing...not so much an airport as an airline. I can't wait to see Delta go into bankruptcy. Every single time I have to deal with them, it's bad. I had a fare-share (between 4 airlines) on my trip, and everything went smoothly until the last (Delta) lap. I got to Portland and, with a 50 minute connection was told that " you have to go back to the ticket desk and get a NEW boarding pass"....no explanation! So I had to haul-ass back to the ticket desk , get another pass, and wait in the security line again, all this in Monday 8 am business traffic! I barely made my connection before they closed the door. Delta has a seemingly endless list of "medallion level" customers that they treat like royalty, while the rest of us might as well forget it! I hate them.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Broadway, that's some avatar you've got there.
    Why, thank you! I had fun painting him, too.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    at Phat's high expectations for airports.
    I've flown in or out of Heathrow two or three times, and never had problems with it, until July when I had to *drive* to get into Heathrow.
    Lord have mercy, woman, why were you forced to drive in London?! I've managed to avoid driving all the times I've been to London, mostly because my view of driving in England was colored by National Lampoon's European Vacation before I ever set foot in the country.

Oh my god, the hellaciousness of the roads, the arrows pointing you this way and that, and the endless traffic circles just dwarfs any problems I've ever had once actually inside the airport.
    Yup. I've lived in Southern California (or "SoCal," as you kids like to say), and I thought that I'd seen it all when it came to traffic and driving.

And then there was England.

The first time I tried to cross a street, I thought I had landed smack dab in the middle of Main Street, Hell.

And I highly recommend Edinburgh for your next trip.
    Any particular reason? It's a front runner, but I would love to hear from someone with personal experience since we've never been.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Lord have mercy, woman, why were you forced to drive in London?! I've managed to avoid driving all the times I've been to London, mostly because my view of driving in England was colored by National Lampoon's European Vacation before I ever set foot in the country.
    I was forced to drive in London because my mother, an otherwise fearless and completely competent person, was afraid to. And by the time I was driving near London, I'd already driven in Ireland, which might have been an inspiration for the roads in National Lampoon's European Vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat32
    Any particular reason? It's a front runner, but I would love to hear from someone with personal experience since we've never been.
    Reason? Because I haven't been to Sydney or Seville, but I have been to Edinburgh. The other two might be awesome. They probably are. I'd like to go there myself. But Edinburgh is a neat, small city with lots of history. Plus the countryside is gorgeous, and there are lots of interesting places to go in Scotland that aren't that far from Edinburgh.
    Of course, if you were looking for sunshine, Seville might be your better bet.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread