+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why do you love the place you live?

Ah, Australia. Actually I lived in a hole there too, but that was a whole lot better. Probably because I knew people there. They're having a drought. It was probably 360 days of sunshine a year, though sometimes the heat was a bitch.

I'd still rather be there though.

i love australia~~love the weather..love the beach!!!!love the air!so refreshing!~
    i live in Singapore~it's the beautiful place~clean and green~
    great services, effective and resposible government~

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I lived in (in order) Southern California, Iran, Idaho, and Northern California before finally settling in little Loveland, Colorado in 1997. I love it here, and can't imagine living in any of those other places again.

Loveland is a relatively small town, and I like the small town feel. I like going to the grocery store and seeing people I know. We're 28 miles from the beautiful little town of Estes Park, which is just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park. The drive up the Big Thompson Canyon is gorgeous, and the fly fishing is wonderful. Ninety miles away is the Rawah Wilderness area, where the backpacking is terrific and there are no crowds - on my last two day trip there we saw two other people the entire time - that's as many moose as we saw! I've seen bighorn sheep within 10 miles of my house, deer behind the house, even four young elk last summer - though in Estes Park and RMNP, you see huge herds of elk. I love hiking and fly fishing, and there is plenty of that available close by.

I love the views from Loveland. Longs Peak is one of 54 14,000 ft. peaks in the state, and it is visible all the time. Yesterday morning on the way to work, the sun was just coming up and all the snow-covered mountains were a beautiful pink.

I love having four seasons, but not having brutal winters. Though frankly it's a little nuts here right now - the high tomorrow is supposed to be 68 degrees! Where is our snow?!!! Heck, last year we had snow in May! (see attached pic from my back deck.)

I love being 60 miles north of Denver. Yes, there is smog there, but like Paulie says - you VISIT Denver. The restaurants are better there (though Sher, Star Canyon in Dallas is possibly my favorite restaurant in the whole world!), you can see excellent theater and concerts, and you can go to major league sporting events - I didn't consider moving away from San Jose until the Avalanche came to town.

I love the pace here. It is SO much slower than when I lived in the Bay Area. People seem more relaxed and friendly here than they did there.

I love the housing prices. While they are higher than a lot of places (like Texas), I have a 3,000 sq ft home that I had built in 1997, and my house payment is less than I'd pay to rent a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment in San Jose.

I love sitting on the back deck in the Summer watching the birdlife around the pond behind our house. Blue heron, greebs, red-winged blackbirds, geese, ducks, even snowy pelicans and the occasional kingfisher, etc. And surprisingly, no mosquitos!

The economy isn't terrific just now, and I feel very fortunate that I have not been hit by the massive layoffs that my company has gone through. But I don't think things are much different here on that front than they are anywhere else in the country. The crime rate in Loveland is among the lowest in the entire state.

I love that my wife and I have a lot of family that have moved to this area. I love that my kids will go to elementary school only 13 houses down the street from where we live. I love that they will be able to play in a great little park in our neighborhood. I love that we have neighbors that are like a 3rd set of grandparents to our kids. And I love that my buddy Paulie and I live close enough to play basketball every Wednesday.

Here's a picture from Loveland of Longs Peak.
    http://www.rmlabs.com/imaging/images...%202-small.jpg

And here's a picture of the snow off my back deck last May.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a cool thread.

I live in a city called London in Ontario, Canada. We even have a Thames river here and it runs through most of SW Ontario.

I live in the southernmost part of Canada right smack in between the great lakes. I am within an hours drive to 3 of them. So that's a definite plus. I also live in a part of Canada that is southern to some parts of the western states. It's true, grab a map.

I am also very Canadian. Most people think that to be pro-Canadian you have to be anti-American. I just like living where I live. I could never explain why it's such a blessing.

That and you can always find a hockey game on somewhere. Even if it is a bantam Rogers Cable game.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Oooh, Miss F. Sometimes the junior games on Sportsnet are way better.

And Wayner! We had snow in May too last year! Madness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345