+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do you love the place you live?

Did I mention Kansas was nice?

Oh boy. You've really asked for it, haven't you.

Just to set the scene a bit, here's a picture of downtown.

You're looking at that going, "What the hell kind of town builds ugly orange buildings?" aren't you. Well, my town does. And that doesn't even show you the hid-e-ouuuus green bridge that's all rusty. Maybe I can find a picture of it.

Well, I found one, but it's really big so I can't post it.

In case you hadn't worked it out, I live in... Fort McMurray! The absolute fucking middle of nowhere. If you don't believe me, look at the guestmap. See the little alien sitting all by itself near the top of Canada? Not the one in the ocean, the one in Alberta. That's me. It's cold here. It smells here. There are these hideous ravens that are about the size of a medium dog. Everyone here either works at the plants or is married to someone who works at the plants. No one here knows how to drive. Except me. Mwahaha! But seriously, no one knows how to drive. And lots of people drive drunk, and speed, and it's horrible. They announced this big crackdown on drunk driving and then they put the location of the checkstops in the newspaper. Retards.

So I guess I really don't love the place I live. Maybe I should start a "Why do you hate the place you live" thread.

Probably the main reason I hate it though, is because I used to live in Australia.

Well I live in Michigan. I like Michigan. I like Lakes so big I can't see the other side. Beaches long sandy and right next to a lot of trees. I like 4 seasons. I like rivers, ponds, little lakes and waterfalls. I like the fact I can drive 500 miles and still be in the same state, but everyone talks different.
    Now, I live in Livonia MI, which is ok It has nice parks, a nice liberary, nice kid's programs, nice schools It's not close to the huge lakes and beaches. I don't like working in Detroit and Highland Park, it's too poor, there are too many problems you can't solve and it's very frustrating.
    I like the west side of the state, where I used to live, more snow, more lake access and more hills. I like the Upper Pennesla of the UP, lots more snow, tons more lake access (but dang it's cold)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

After reading about how so many people love CO, I have to add this, my sister lived in Fort Collins for 2 years and I visited her there. First thing she says to me "I hate it here and everyone tells me I shouldn't" After being there for a week, I understood why. Being from MI, we aren't mountian people. We both freaked when driving up into the Rockies. White water rafting was fun but the water was a little rough to someone used to drifting along in a canoe or a little sail boat. There was some sort of lake out there, but it was so busy. She doesn't ski and had no interest in learning.

Long story short, she moved back to Minnasota where she lived for years, lots of cold, snow, tons of little lakes, rivers and just a short drive back to MI's UP.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Whoops, forgot the flea and tick question for MI

yes there are fleas, but not to bad, we have only had to treat the dog a couple times for fleas.
    there are tics, but again not to bad, even up in the woody areas have only had to deal with them now and then, and we spend alot of time romping through the woods when we are up north

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by jodaar
    Did I mention Kansas was nice?
    Well Jodaar, I may be joining you there if the Ft. Collins thing doesn't work out (KC though, not Topeka)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, reno nevada, close to the desert, and close to the mountains and lakes, can ski, snow and water, and hike out in the desert if you want. gambling is here, lots of golfing, san fran is only 4 hours away, sacromento is only two.

plus no ticks and fleas, the soil kills them all in a week or two. we don't need to buy any treatment for the pets.

town is real small, like to think they are big but they still have a burg mentality

we are growing here, lots of tech companies coming over cause we are a right to work state, so the unions don't have a hold on us, that has its pluses and minuses as well. but lots of foreingers here so get use to that and the low wages. gangs are starting to be a bother too.

I was in denver last sept. really like it there, was nice, use to live in Cape Canaveral so I know Orlando, the traffic there was the pits at rush hour let alone middle of the day. Also was in D.C. grew up there just outside in Maryland, Oxonhill area. and visited there in Aug. miss the place but glad I moved. so busy now. Me? I rather be in the mountains. ticks and all. at least it still feels clean and open there.

FORT Fanatic
    Duckgirl, I'll stop by and visit you on my way home after graduation, lol! I've driven the Alaska Highway about 8 times so I recognized northern Canada. There's no other place that can look like that! It's only a little bit out of my way, lol. If you want to have a "why do you hate the place you live" thread, go for it! I bet I'll have the longest post of all...

Tell us about Australia, what was that like?

Originally posted by Zhora
    As long as you'll carpool with me Sher, we would love to have you.
    you got it!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I liked Australia while i vacationed there, people were real nice, and New Zealand (christ church) is great too, use to stay there when going to antarctica.
    Visited Seattle too. that was nice, with the mountains so close by and the traffic didn't seem that bad.

Hawaii is losing places to visit as the housing is going up and being a Island, what gets taken up is gone for good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast