The more I read, the more I hear, the more I think....How did I get so square and possess such a "those young whipper snappers" outlook on society today? Is it my upbringing? The family values my mother conveyed to me?
So, I started a random list in my head of things I learned in my life that make me feel like an old fogey, conservative, whatever you want to call it (and I won't even touch politics, marriage, religion, race, sex etc. on this list so it won't cause a controversy ). Now that I have children, I begin to realize how different the world is now.
Here's some off the top (and I'm sure I have a lot more ):
1) wasn't allowed to date until I was 16
2) didn't get to wear high heels or make up until I was in high school
3) if I came home with anything besides my ear pierced once or any kind of tattoo, my mother would have shown me the door; oh, and my ears were not pierced until high school
4) My children always address another grown up with Mr or Miss X when they speak to them
5) I lived in fear of my mother, even though she didn't beat me or abuse me, it was just a "given" we didn't cross the line
6) If I said curse words or talked back to my mom, I got a bar of soap on my tongue
7) always wear a shirt at the dinner table and you never wear a hat at the table either
8) If I even thought about wearing a skirt that was above my knees or showed my torso area, or low cut blouses-no way!
So, come share your secret squareness! Please don't tell me that your parents were cool, you're cool and everything is cool.