+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Release your inner fogey

MIA, RIP, or Busy...

Release your inner fogey

The more I read, the more I hear, the more I think....How did I get so square and possess such a "those young whipper snappers" outlook on society today? Is it my upbringing? The family values my mother conveyed to me?

So, I started a random list in my head of things I learned in my life that make me feel like an old fogey, conservative, whatever you want to call it (and I won't even touch politics, marriage, religion, race, sex etc. on this list so it won't cause a controversy ). Now that I have children, I begin to realize how different the world is now.

Here's some off the top (and I'm sure I have a lot more ):

1) wasn't allowed to date until I was 16
    2) didn't get to wear high heels or make up until I was in high school
    3) if I came home with anything besides my ear pierced once or any kind of tattoo, my mother would have shown me the door; oh, and my ears were not pierced until high school
    4) My children always address another grown up with Mr or Miss X when they speak to them
    5) I lived in fear of my mother, even though she didn't beat me or abuse me, it was just a "given" we didn't cross the line
    6) If I said curse words or talked back to my mom, I got a bar of soap on my tongue
    7) always wear a shirt at the dinner table and you never wear a hat at the table either
    8) If I even thought about wearing a skirt that was above my knees or showed my torso area, or low cut blouses-no way!

So, come share your secret squareness! Please don't tell me that your parents were cool, you're cool and everything is cool.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I'll have Pu-lenty of these. I can think of two right off hand, though.

1. I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 18. I just didn't bother by the time I actually turned 18
    2. I didn't date in high school, but if I had, I wouldnt have been allowed to go on anything but "group" dates
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

1. Not only were we not allowed to swear we were not allowed to say "shut-up" :nono
    2. You NEVER talked back to a parent, any response would have been considered talking back.
    3. I was only allowed to wear a one piece bathing suit, however I did sneak a two piecer.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Well, I've got a few, and I'm only 14

1. The clothes. All of the 5th graders wearing tank tops. I remember nobody in my 5th grade class wearing a tank top. Nobody.

2. Going out on dates in elementary school. My mom doesn't want me to date and I'm in high school.

3. A generation of kids who can't spell. 'Was' is not spelled with a 'z'...

Here's my take on the becoming an old fogey.
    Each and every generation has gone through this. I always thought the things that we did/liked/enjoyed/thought was cool would be that way forever. I mean come on...bell bottoms go out of style? Hip huggers? Platform shoes? The Stones? Are you kidding me? We were changing the world for the better, dude. Peace, love and rock & roll. Then a funny thing happened. I got older and more responsible! There was more to life than scoring some killer smoke and good seats to see The Stones. You started worrying about pollution, crime in the streets, education for your children, etc. Your priorities change and all of a sudden one day BAM you're part of the establishment, man. What a bummer dude. In other words...growing up sucks!

I have a lot of friends who aren't allowed to pierce their ears until they're 18 and may I ask why is that? I never really know why.

1. Couldnt date or wear makeup till I was 16.
    2. Couldnt call boyfriends. (They had to call my home)
    3. When boyfriends called.. I was allowed only 10 minutes on the phone.
    4. Curfew on the weekends were at 11pm.. and could not date on school nights (unless it was a school function).
    5. When speaking to an adult, I said "yes sir" or "yes ma'am".
    6. Never talked back to any adult, or disrespected in any way.
    7. Allowed to wear two pieces, but if got up to go to the bathroom, etc.. had to wear something to cover up the bikini.
    8. Didn't have a Television, Computer, video games, telephone, etc in our own bedroom.
    9. If I had a date, we had to sit in the living room with the rest of the family, no going in my bedroom with the door shut to listen to music.
    10. If we went out cruising around, looking for friends, I couldn't be the only female in the group. My mom used to kill me with that idea. She said it made you look trashy to be riding around with 3 guys by yourself.

FORT Fogey
    Oh Unk! How very eloquently put! I was not allowed to date until I was 16, either. Ditto the "Mr" or "Miss" so-and-so. Heck, I still do that. I knew I was grown the day I got addressed as "Miss"--- Now that I am grown, I am allowed much more leeway to say certain things around my mom. But when I was growing up, I once made the mistake of calling my mom the "B" word, and I mean ONLY once. (It was an understanding that I didn't have to always like what my mom said or did, but I would respect her.) Let's see, what can I add to the list?

1. Curfew was non-negotiable. If mom said 11, she meant 11. Not 11:01, not 11:02, not pulling up in the driveway at 11:00. She meant in the house, door locked, by 11:00 sharp.

2. It was a given that parents had the option to check up on you, check out your story, and expect you to be exactly where you said you would be, at all times.

3. My parents had the audacity to have final approval on what I could listen to, read, or watch. They could "pull rank" at any time, and didn't have to give a reason beyond "Because I said so."

4. My mom had this knack of adjusting my age to fit the purpose. She could say, "You are only 15...you are to young for that," or "You are almost 16, young lady, you are old enough to know better," interchangeably, at any time.

I have to admit, growing up, I thought my parents were entirely too strict at times. (Didn't we all?) Hindsight, however, makes me grateful that they cared so much, and being a parent myself, I understand all too well now. One day you are griping to your friends that your parents "just don't get it," the next day, you hear your kids say the exact same thing!

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    1) wasn't allowed to date until I was 16
    2) didn't get to wear high heels or make up until I was in high school
    3) if I came home with anything besides my ear pierced once or any kind of tattoo, my mother would have shown me the door; oh, and my ears were not pierced until high school
    4) My children always address another grown up with Mr or Miss X when they speak to them
    5) I lived in fear of my mother, even though she didn't beat me or abuse me, it was just a "given" we didn't cross the line
    6) If I said curse words or talked back to my mom, I got a bar of soap on my tongue
    7) always wear a shirt at the dinner table and you never wear a hat at the table either
    8) If I even thought about wearing a skirt that was above my knees or showed my torso area, or low cut blouses-no way!
    Dayum Ineeda -- do we have the same mother??? Every thing you mentoined describes how I was brought up and my mother's "rules".

One slight difference... only because I was a little sneaky...

I wanted my ears pierced from the time I was 11 years old. My mother told me I had to wait until I was 16.

Fast forward to when I was 12 when my mom had to go in for a hysterectomy. She was on some heavy-duty pain medication that made her extremely "happy-happy-joy-joy". My family and I visited her in the hospital and we were all talking and visiting when I *mentioned* that my best friend had just gotten her ears pierced. Mom was like, "Oh honey, you go ahead and get yours pierced too". My entire family witnessed her drug-induced utterance, so I had *proof*.

My father, bless his heart, had no clue about any of mom's "things you can't do until you're older rules", so on the way home from the hospital, I asked him to take me to get my ears pierced since Mom had said is was "okay". You see, I wanted to get this done ASAP in the event that somehow she'd be cut off from her happy-happy-joy-joy drugs that made her so "agreeable", at which time her memory would return and she'd hunt me down.

She didn't even find out for almost four weeks after the fact, because I always had my hair down. She was DEFINITELY not a happy camper, and asked me why I had gone against her wishes. My entire family reminded her that she had given me "permission" and she had even given this permission in a "happy voice".

My parents were actually pretty cool for the most part...there are a few issues though, that I had to straighten out on my own

The main issue I remember (in addition to some that have been mentioned above...) was the fact that my mom wouldn't let me perm my hair... so naturally it was the first thing I did when I took off for college & was out on my own (and yes, it did look good!)

There's another issue with tattoos & I'm about to break that rule too... lol (And now I'm not doing it just to spite my mother... lol...that would simply not be worth it )
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast