+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Release your inner fogey

FORT Regular
    Tell you what...I feel like a fogey around my stepchildren. I'm 31, and they are 16 and 13, both boys. I'm cool with their radio stations in the car, but I make em listen to bluegrass and old country-western swing minute for minute.

Really, you should see the way they run the house. They have been through their parents' divorce, and a nasty custody battle, and they are given ridiculous amounts of gulit-laden over-compensation. I am aghast.

Oldest has had every video game system I can name...currently hooked up via piggy-back on the living room tv is the X Box and PS2. Next to the main tv is a secondary tv, hooked up to the Game Cube. This is so one can either watch tv (satellite) while playing a game, or two can play different games side by side. They also have Game Boys.

If that weren't enough, they have no nighttime curfew. Well, not during the summer. Their dad gets up for work at 4 am and tells them to go to bed. I put my foot down recently about the electricity consumption when I got up in the middle of the night to pee and one kid had the tv on, Game Cube tv on, and the computer online simultaneously. It was sick.

I am slowly turing into my mother when it comes to discipline and manners (seems she WAS right after all)

I'm a stickler about language: my girl is 5, so its not anything risque at all, but she is not allowed to say crap (she heard that from her cousin) or pissed ( - she hear that from me) of course, but she also knows I don't ever want to hear "shut up" or "stupid" or "dumb" or "hate" out of her mouth.

Also, I look at young girls today and just shake my head - why must they dress the way they do - at the age of 12 and 13???? :nono Its not just that I feel "old", but its like - , if you only knew the impression you leave
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    Also, I look at young girls today and just shake my head - why must they dress the way they do - at the age of 12 and 13???? :nono Its not just that I feel "old", but its like - , if you only knew the impression you leave
    I hear you on this one. I am amazed that some of these kids are allowed out of the home by their parents. I believe in letting kids express themselves but as a parent, will draw the line at letting my daughter express herself by showing most of her body while walking down the street. Too many parents are more worried about being "cool" and having their kids like them than parenting and setting guidelines. I believe in (and love) fashion, have studied and been in the business for more years than I care to admit, but there is a line.....blah, blah, blah. I could go on a tangent here but I am sure you know what I mean.

FORT Regular
    You know what I find offensive for young girls? Someone mentioned this already, or maybe in another thread...it's the stupid shorts or sweats with lame sayings across the butt, like Angel, or Brat, or Spoiled, or Princess. It makes me want to hear the satisfying sound of my foot connecting with the parents' butt.

Why do have to draw attention to the butt of a girl? And they are making this crap for girls as young as 4 or 5! And the dang belly shirts with hip-hugging pants. I bought my 9 yr old daughter bikini cut underpants (!) because her pants ride so low, there is an inch wide strip of panties exposed. I thought it better to buy her panties that can't be seen as opposed to every sicko out there knowing my daughter's panties are blue with stars on them.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    I hear you on this one. I am amazed that some of these kids are allowed out of the home by their parents. I believe in letting kids express themselves but as a parent, will draw the line at letting my daughter express herself by showing most of her body while walking down the street. Too many parents are more worried about being "cool" and having their kids like them than parenting and setting guidelines. I believe in (and love) fashion, have studied and been in the business for more years than I care to admit, but there is a line.....blah, blah, blah. I could go on a tangent here but I am sure you know what I mean.
    I know what you mean! I'm watching my husband indulge my step-children outrageously because between him and the ex, SOMEONE has to be "the bad guy", and neither wants to be that person. So they try way too hard to be the kid's buddy, and stop trying to be the parent. EVERYONE loses in this situation.

The kids have friends...the kid only has one mom, or one dad, and needs that parent to be the parent instead of another friend. It's kinder to the child, really.

Quote Originally Posted by happydude
    You know what I find offensive for young girls? Someone mentioned this already, or maybe in another thread...it's the stupid shorts or sweats with lame sayings across the butt, like Angel, or Brat, or Spoiled, or Princess. It makes me want to hear the satisfying sound of my foot connecting with the parents' butt.
    I agree

Why do have to draw attention to the butt of a girl? And they are making this crap for girls as young as 4 or 5! And the dang belly shirts with hip-hugging pants. I bought my 9 yr old daughter bikini cut underpants (!) because her pants ride so low, there is an inch wide strip of panties exposed. I thought it better to buy her panties that can't be seen as opposed to every sicko out there knowing my daughter's panties are blue with stars on them.
    It is so hard to find decent clothes for my daughter (5). I try to shop only at JC Penneys or Land's End, because at least then she doesn't have to look like a little tramp . Target has some decent clothes, too, and really reasonably priced. Tried to pick her up an extra bathing suit last time I was at KMart, and thought I saw a cute pink one piece, until I realized it had a zipper all the way down the front Don't these people who design or the buyers have any kids

I dont know what they are thinking ADK.. but thank goodness there are a few alternatives out there..
    My daughter is 4, she's in the 98th percentile for her age group .. that means that 98% of kids her age are smaller than she is. So finding clothes for her is a real challenge. A 6X barely fits her because she has a long torso and short legs (thanks mom and dad ) so we have been buying her a 7/8 and when its 100% cotton we ger her the next size up a 9/10 .. then it might fit her for a little while.
    I'm am sick to my stomach at the stuff they sell for size 9/10!! I can't let my darling 4 yr old out of the house looking like a two bit hooker! Gawd! It's so frikkin scary.
    Even some adults have trouble separating clothing from intention (ie: she wouldn't have been raped if she didnt dress like that) imagine the trouble the younger ones are having? bleah this subject just pisses me right off.

I'm a fogey - I can't stay up and close down a bar like I used to
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I'm a fogey - I can't stay up and close down a bar like I used to
    I know Folks I know who go out don't even leave their houses until about 10 pm, and by then I'm usually in my pj's reading the newspaper and thinking about bed
    That's OK - cheaper (and safer) to drink at home anyway

I'm only 23, but my parents put an emphasis on courtesy and "proper" etiquette...

1) If your boyfriend comes to your parent's house for a visit overnight, you will not share the same room. Hell, you won't even be on the same floor or side of the house, if possible.

2) Always write a Thank You note. Always.

3) Go to church regularly-- if not for religion, than for reflection (my dad always used church more for the discipline than spirituality). At the very least to see who is married, has babies.

That's all I can think of right now...

I feel old when I look around my desk at work and see millions of yellow sticky notes with reminders to do stuff covering the surface of my desk and the frame of my monitor. I remember that my grandparents always have yellow sticky notes on their dining room table to remind them of any appointments, when to take their medicine, etc. I'm going to turn out just like them!

+ Reply to Thread