+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Release your inner fogey

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Here's my take on the becoming an old fogey.
    Each and every generation has gone through this. I always thought the things that we did/liked/enjoyed/thought was cool would be that way forever. I mean come on...bell bottoms go out of style? Hip huggers? Platform shoes? The Stones? Are you kidding me? We were changing the world for the better, dude. Peace, love and rock & roll. Then a funny thing happened. I got older and more responsible! There was more to life than scoring some killer smoke and good seats to see The Stones. You started worrying about pollution, crime in the streets, education for your children, etc. Your priorities change and all of a sudden one day BAM you're part of the establishment, man. What a bummer dude. In other words...growing up sucks!
    Growing up does suck, indeed. At 28 I'm still trying to recapture some of my lost youth. It's all about video games and booze as far as I'm concerned. Just like when I was in junior high/high school, except without all that peer pressure and social status crap. I don't have a family yet and don't expect to in the near future, but I'm already not really liking this whole responsible adult thing. I want to skip work and stay home all day playing video games, drinking beer (or anything else) and generally being lazy as hell, dammit. But I can't do that anymore.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

A lot of you guys are talking about I had this early curfew and I couldn't say "shut-up"....well, I never got to do anything-I mean anything! I was not allowed to wear shorts, skirts, sleeveless shirts, no class trips, no hanging out....to school and back home. If I had to go to the store I had to ask and even then sometimes, my dad would accompany me half the time, I'm talking about being a 19 year old woman and having daddy walk me two blocks away. I was walked to and from school until senior year in high school. No dating, no sleepovers, nothing. I was not allowed to use the telephone at all also. Not even to talk to my girlfriends-it was like my father thought they would be a bad influence-each and every one of them!

Anyway, it drove me nuts and I will never do this to my children. The stress I had my teenage years-forget about it! My parents were more than over-protective. They were over-bearing and I swear, it still makes me want to scream. I'm married now-I broke away from the crazy house ( sometimes I feel like Sissy Spacek in Carrie) and I have freagin' nightmares that I'm back in that house. I wake up and thank God I'm not. My father's Muslim by the way, so that's part of why he was so retarded about everything.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse
    No swearing at all. I use to always swear but never around my parents, still don't, now its just out of respect.

Unfortunetly, a lot of kids swear in front of their parents now. I would never cuss in front of one of my friends parents, because I don't think that's appropriate. It's always sad to see a kid cursing randomly dropping the f bomb talking to their parents for no reason.

From the time I was 12, only my dad and I lived in the house. I had very few rules, but was so happy to be back with him that I over compensated. I had no curfew but would tell him what time I'd be home and would be back before that time. I always wanted his approval and would do anything to get it. Now that I look back, I didn't need to work so hard at it. He was cool with me. We "liked" each other.
    I tried to follow the same pattern with my kids and for the most part it worked. They never had curfews after they were about 15 or so. They usually just checked in around bed time and told me when they expected to be home.I feel that if you start a kid out in the right way, sorry if this bothers some of you, but if they needed a spanking they got it,then you don't need to work so hard later on. Now I am enjoying watching them interact with their own kids.
    The worst thing about being an old fogey is looking in a mirror and there's an old woman there. Where'd SHE come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Here's my take on the becoming an old fogey.
    Each and every generation has gone through this. I always thought the things that we did/liked/enjoyed/thought was cool would be that way forever. I mean come on...bell bottoms go out of style? Hip huggers? Platform shoes? The Stones? Are you kidding me? We were changing the world for the better, dude. Peace, love and rock & roll. Then a funny thing happened. I got older and more responsible! There was more to life than scoring some killer smoke and good seats to see The Stones. You started worrying about pollution, crime in the streets, education for your children, etc. Your priorities change and all of a sudden one day BAM you're part of the establishment, man. What a bummer dude. In other words...growing up sucks!
    I guess I must need to grow up. I'm 45 and I wear bell bottoms and platform shoes, go to concerts and believe in peace, love and rock and roll. I started my family young and was interested in family life, instilling values and making a home for my kids while they were growing up. They are adults now, well behaved, no troubles (knock wood) with careers, so I'm free! It's nice to kick back again.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Sounds like you guys were raise pretty strickt. I was allowed to do everything. No curfew. No limits on what I could wear. My parents helped me color my hair. Ofcourse, I was the most rule-abiding kid in the world. A lot of my classmates had this deal with their parrents that if they didn't smoke they could get a drivers license when they turned 18 (those are expensive in Denmark). I asked my parrents if we could have the same deal and they said "go ahead and smoke if you want". Ofcourse I didn't want to smoke, and they knew it! Some kids got rewards when they brought home good grades, and my parrents just said "do whatever you want, we don't care about grades". I ended up valedictorian.

I'm not saying this would work for anyone, but I always felt my parrents trusted me (ofcourse, I could be trusted, so why shouldn't they?).

Quote Originally Posted by lalol
    I have a lot of friends who aren't allowed to pierce their ears until they're 18 and may I ask why is that? I never really know why.
    I can tell you, because I'm a fogey now. I got mine pierced in the second grade when I thought it was a great idea. I am now 38, and earrings bother me so I never wear them. I have a hole in each ear for no reason. If I had it to do over, I would not do it. There, that's the fogey in me. I also always wear sunscreen, every day. And so should all you whippersnappers. I also wear a hat whenever I spend time in the sun. You will be happy when you turn 38 and all your old tan friends have skin like leather but you don't.

Premium Member
    First, Boredom, can I adopt you? I had a couple of wonderful kids, and to find out there are more out there is so uplifting. Thanks for your posts!

1. I was allowed to start dating when I was almost 16. But that was only to let a boy come to the house and watch tv. That meant watch tv, on the sofa, in the family room. I do not and will not ever understand the watching tv/studying in the bedroom thing.

2. Absolutely no talking back to either parent, ever, under any circumstances. I remember it happeneing one time, I was about 10. I was on the telephone with a friend and my mom said something to me, and I turned to her and said, "shhh, I'm on the phone." Well, dad was in the room. The call ended. Immediately. Dad took me into the next room, sat me on a chair (looking down at me in the way only a dad can look down at his daughter *yikes*), and told me that I would never, ever treat my mom like that again.

3. No cussing was allowed in the house, ever. I mean the "big" stuff. We had dad and my two older brothers living there - and I don't think I heard anyone drop an "F" bomb until high school. Maybe junior high, but I doubt it. Nor any "F" bombs from the other end of the body either. I think my mom must be magic - I don't know HOW she managed that. Let's say I was really surprised when I got married. ewwww.

Fortunately, my girls do not swear in front of me, either. It's just not something you do in front of your mom. I did have to explain that to one of my sons-in-law, but he gets it now. (Oh, I am a fogey.)

Basically it's pick your battles, isn't it? You can't run every aspect of a kid's life. The battles I picked were simple: no drinking and driving (of course); if you want to drive a car, you'll carry a 3.0 gpa, to own a car is a 3.5 gpa; and curfew is not negotiable, ever. I always knew where my girls were and what they were doing (i.e., if someone was drinking - I'd sober up to go get them... ).

(And no, stupid, you can't get a tattoo - so forget about it.)

I didn't care if their rooms were dirty - just shut the door.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I guess I must need to grow up. I'm 45 and I wear bell bottoms and platform shoes, go to concerts and believe in peace, love and rock and roll. I started my family young and was interested in family life, instilling values and making a home for my kids while they were growing up. They are adults now, well behaved, no troubles (knock wood) with careers, so I'm free! It's nice to kick back again.

This is what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Basically it's pick your battles, isn't it? You can't run every aspect of a kid's life. The battles I picked were simple: no drinking and driving (of course); if you want to drive a car, you'll carry a 3.0 gpa, to own a car is a 3.5 gpa; and curfew is not negotiable, ever. I always knew where my girls were and what they were doing (i.e., if someone was drinking - I'd sober up to go get them... ).

(And no, stupid, you can't get a tattoo - so forget about it.)

I didn't care if their rooms were dirty - just shut the door.
    Awww, J.D., it sounds like you did such a good job at raising your kids. It seems like you had your expectancies and laid the rules, but you were fair and not so overbearing. That's great-I wish I had that growing up! :phhht I also like that fact that you would sober up to pick them up from places. Now that's sweet.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

+ Reply to Thread