+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Release your inner fogey

Fort Member
    The thing is that when my mother said "no". It meant "no". And you rarely questioned it because you know if you did, like some of you said, she would just say "because I said so" and you had to accept that. Try with a teenager now, believe me it dont work any more.
    I had a midnight curfew from 16 to 21. Because I lived at home until I was 21 and my mother would always use the reason "While you live under my roof you live by my rules"
    The only time I really feel like a fogey is when I remember that I used to be able to go out to the pub for a few drinks buy a packet of ciggarettes and listen to a band or dance at the disco and then catch a taxi home totally smashed and it would cost me less then $20.

I had a strict curfew which I would constantly break. Just this year my parents finally stopped giving me a curfew because they realized it didn't mean anything and I would stay out as late as I wanted.

No swearing at all. I use to always swear but never around my parents, still don't, now its just out of respect.

I do not tell them anything about girls. As far as they know all my friends are guys.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett530
    4. My mom had this knack of adjusting my age to fit the purpose. She could say, "You are only 15...you are to young for that," or "You are almost 16, young lady, you are old enough to know better," interchangeably, at any time.
    This one just drives me nuts. They use these two just whenever they want to suit the situation

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett530
    1. Curfew was non-negotiable. If mom said 11, she meant 11. Not 11:01, not 11:02, not pulling up in the driveway at 11:00. She meant in the house, door locked, by 11:00 sharp.
    Yeah, this one's a sore spot with me. My father used to establish sharp cutoffs like that, and the punishments for missing them were severe. My brother and I were once grounded for three months because we were four minutes late emerging from a school dance. Worse, the reason we were late is because the assistant principal was trying to get the school safe open to pay us for the scorekeeping job we'd done at the football game that day and kept screwing up the combination. Apparently, that didn't figure in to my dad's extreme reaction. :rolleyes

I realize now my father was just trying to simplify his life by not letting us go anywhere, which annoys me even more. I don't look back on those "lessons" very fondly, I can assure you.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sorry, ineedalife, I'm going to be the "my parents were cool" guy. Although looking back, I could have dealt with a good bit more rulishness. I was a wild child, and my mom and stepdad knew I was responsible enough never to go to jail, and that was pretty much good enough for them. I started dating my now-wife at 17, got married at 21, and SHE was primarily responsible for my cleaning up my act. I had no curfew, they didn't care if I dated, etc. They didn't want me to get my ear pierced, but my mom ended up taking me anyway. I don't have any tattoos, but they would have objected to that, too. I never swore in front of my parents, but swore like a sailor away from them.

When I started dating my wife, it was an eye-opener. She had strict curfews, and her father was a cop. If she said "I have to be home by 10" she meant it. Not 10:01. When my parents said "be home by 10", what they meant was "call if you're crashing somewhere, otherwise be here when we get up in the morning".

Yeah John, my dad was pretty lenient too.

Before my parents got divorced and my dad got custody when I was 13, my mom had a few rules we all knew not to break.
    1. No watching R rated movies without one of your parents permission.
    2. 10 minutes phone time each day. If you use up all your time on one person and someone else calls, you will just have to talk to them tomorrow because you already used your phone time.
    3. No dating until you are 16.
    4. Even at school functions, no staying out later than 9 on weekdays, 10 on weekends.

Needless to say, all of mom's rules flew out the window when living with Dad.
    By the time I was 17, I think I actually spent about 2 nights a week at home. The rest of the week, I would just crash elsewhere. I just had to call before 10 to let him know I would not be home that night.

I guess I got away with murder, considering how strict my latin parents tried to be with their only female child, me. I had no problems sneaking dates, lying that the Pizza Hut was jammed and I was going to be late getting home, and all sorts of other rabblerousing.

Oh and I got my ears pierced as an infant

ETA We did have lots of rules of behavior, especially as children:

*please and thank you always
    *always offer to share
    *never accept any food when paying a social call. Mom drilled us to refuse anything but a drink, and if we behaved we got an ice cream or something afterward as a reward. No wonder it drove me crazy later on to see visiting children pull open our fridge to rummage around for something.
    Last edited by Texicana; 07-21-2004 at 10:09 AM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    I realized I was fogeyfying because there are so many things I used to do that now annoy me. For example:
    1.I used to crank heavy metal tunes (AC/DC!!!) in my car and smirk at the older people who would give me dirty looks. Now, when a car goes by with a bass beat to shake my house, I start mumbling @#$$%% under my breath.
    2. I wore mini-mini skirts in highschool, and too much make-up too. Now when I see young girls looking like that, I start in with the whole "don't they have any self-respect? They don't need attention from boys to give them self-worth..." speil.
    3. I used to party at provincial parks, and we were LOUD! I remember a friend complaining that they passed out a 4ish, and a baby in the next campsite woke them up with it's crying at 6. Seriously. It is now one of the things I hate most in the world. Most people camp to get close to nature and for some peace and quiet. If you want to party, do it at HOME!
    I could go on and on....

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Fast forward to when I was 12 when my mom had to go in for a hysterectomy. She was on some heavy-duty pain medication that made her extremely "happy-happy-joy-joy". My family and I visited her in the hospital and we were all talking and visiting when I *mentioned* that my best friend had just gotten her ears pierced. Mom was like, "Oh honey, you go ahead and get yours pierced too". My entire family witnessed her drug-induced utterance, so I had *proof*.
    Note to self: Never get intoxicated around Jewelsy for fear of what I might agree to do.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by touque
    I realized I was fogeyfying because there are so many things I used to do that now annoy me. For example:
    1.I used to crank heavy metal tunes (AC/DC!!!) in my car and smirk at the older people who would give me dirty looks. Now, when a car goes by with a bass beat to shake my house, I start mumbling @#$$%% under my breath.
    I'm guilty of this too. How do we become so fogeyfied?
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread