+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35th Anniversary of the Moon Landing

35th Anniversary of the Moon Landing

Today marks the 35th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. How many of you remember this historic event? Where were you when this occured? I watched it at my cousin's house. I remember what an exciting time the space race was as we battled the Russians to be the first to the moon. We used to watch the liftoffs in school. I remember the drama of "Houston, we have a problem" and hoping the crew of Apollo 13 would make it home safely. What an exciting era to live through. Share your thoughts.

I was a little more than a decade from being born at the time, but I have always been in awe of those accomplishments. The Apollo 11 mission shows what spectacular things we as a human race can do if we are daring enough and have enough drive to achieve a goal. I hope we do many more "leaps" in the future in terms of space exploration.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

My mom woke me up to come out and watch it and every time there was a moon landing we were glued to the tv the entire time it was going on.

I was not even 2 years old yet, but I know my Mom woke us all up to watch. Thought it was important we all be there together. Not like I remember it, but she does. Now its hard to even find news of a shuttle launch - we've become so blase about it all.

I do wish more funds would be spent on researching and exploring our own planet, specifically the depths of the seas and oceans.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

I was only two years old than , I do remember watching it with my family though.

I wasn't even a glimmer in my daddy's eye yet
    I do wish I would have been able to witness it - I swear to god I was born 2 decades too soon.
    However .... I did witness the launch of the first modern day Space Shuttle. I was in grade 4 I think? (who knows too long ago) and the whole school went to the gym and every tv/av cart that we had was rolled in and set up all around us.. we made our own surround sound
    It was the most amazing thing we had ever seen .. I think there was a solar eclipse later that same year - now I'm bugged and I have to google dates LOL

ETA: ok the year was 1981 - Challenger happened 1986 - witnessed that one too
    Last edited by Duxxy; 07-20-2004 at 01:03 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, I can't let Unk go thinking he is the only old guy here, I remember watching it while visiting my grandmother and grandfather in Hannibal Mo. we were all glued around the set watching the event happen. I was 12

3rd castle on the right with a bunch of flying monkeys. do not disturb. really.
    i was 11 years away from being born. but i do vividly remember when the challenger disaster happened. we were listening to the launch on the radio in my school's cafeteria and the teacher shut it off really quickly. before that happened, i used to want to go into space, my mom put a big old halt on that dream..."why don't you be a doctor instead?" *sigh* but i still want to go into space. (and never did become that doctor!)
    It's you and me against the world...we attack at dawn.

I'm another one of the "oldies", I guess. I was 10 years old at the time and my dad called me and my brother into the living room to watch. It really was a truely amazing moment. I remember being proud that it was an American flag flying on the moon and afterwards, looking up at the moon and knowing that men had been there. It sounds a bit silly now, but at the time it was incredible.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was only 5 then and have a vague recollection of watching it live - which I know my family did. I wish I had been older because I would have had a better appreciation of what I was witnessing. I'm a big fan of space exploration and love reading about the rovers on Mars. That seed was probably planted with this event. Last week I watched the "From the Earth to the Moon" series on HBO on Demand for the first time. It covers the space program in the 60's and goes through the Apollo program. An excellent series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast