+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 238 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2422008;
    This is going to date me, but...here goes! I have to admit I miss the 'put together' look. Today everything is so...messy. When I was in school, we tucked our shirts in, wore a nice belt that actually held up our pants and we matched... Our belt matched our shoes matched our purses.

I can do you one better, we could not wear jeans, shirts had to be button down front, belt, hair combed etc etc
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And dinosaurs roamed the earth.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm from the day of the put together look too, not that far back but when I was young shirts were tucked, or left out but it looked nice and the clothes FIT! What is with this wearing 2 sizes too big in everything? Or too small

I Is Stephanie

Well I can answer that, Karna68. In fact, I'll take care of all clothing issues, in:

Stephi's comprehensive one-size-fits-all guide to why teenagers dress like that

Clothing style: all black, with chains, "gothic" any red seeping in makes it "emo/scene"
    Typically worn too big for "goths," "emo/scene kids" will wear them too small.
    this is done to give off an air of fear, people who are extremy introverted or just hate living creatures as a whole will do this.
    Stereotypes: Smokes, drinks, and does drugs on weekends. These are simply not true. These people do these things on the weekdays, too.

Clothing style: skin-tight, with big brand names like Hollister, Abercrombie, and H&M on the side, "Jock"
    Usually fits right
    people who wear this style tend to want you to think that they are rich and athletic. while this can be true, most of the time, it is one or the other. this is done because girls love rich athletes.
    Stereotypes: muscular. In fact, these clothes are designed so that you are not sure. while they are tight enough that they appear muscular, they are also just loose enough that there is no way to tell if they are or not. "overlapping" sshirt style, where one shirt is put over another, further complicates the matter.

Clothing style: like the "gothic" look mentioned above, not as much black, "gansta"--for guys only
    typically many sizes too big
    this look is charicterized by the pants, while they are perfectly good, a closer inspection will find that they start below the knees. A belt will be found, however, do not expect them to use it correctly, it is mostly there for if they "score," to make it look like they can take off a belt quickly. do not ask them to pull up their pants, to do this would require effort on their part, effort that could be better spent listening to loud rap and hip-hop music on their all-black iPods.
    Stereotypes: blacks only. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people in this group are white, have never held a gun in their life, and are terrifyed of drugs.

Clothing style:Skin-tight, too small, pink and frilly, "prep"--for girls only
    this look is to give off an impression that girls are "busty," in fact, most girls pulling this off would be no where without a push-up bra and a box of Puffs Plus tissues. Typically done to attract jock boys, however, any guy with his head screwed on tightly will have trouble ignoring these girls. wear heavy makeup, however, they are careful to avoid the color black like the plague, or dirt.
    Stereotypes: "easy" to get in bed. hell, easy doesnt even begin to describe most of these girls.

Clothing style: lot of plaid, big glasses, button-up short-sleeve shirts, "nerd/geek"--mostly boys
    yes, this is indeed a stereotype. in actuality, there is no such thing as a nerd anymore, they have been divided up into all the aforementioned categories. it is not hard to distinguish nerds from the rest of their groups, however, they often end up being the more popular ones, as you can use them when you haven't done your homework.
    Stereotypes: get good grades. in fact, nerds will do ANYTHING to fit in, even if it means purposefully failing a class.

Other fashion statements:
    Eyeliner on guys: actually not as unattractive as it sounds. will mostly be found on the "gothic/emo/scene" categories, usually because they are confused about something.

Piercings somewhere other than ears: either gender. has a lot of spare time o ntheir hands, and a love of pain. this does not make them suicidal, or depressed, however, a close eye should be kept on what you say around these people, there is a high probability that you will end up with a nasty cigarette burn if you offend them, their friends, or their favorite bands.

Baseball cap turned backwards: actually, not trying to be cool. these guys just don't care. what they are thinking about is what drugs they are going to take tonight. if there is any deeper meaning to the cap being turned backwards, it is that they were hot and needed to cool down some.

Excessive jewelery: high glint/sunlight ratio is supposed to give off air of being rich, however, usually made of cheap braclets that you can get for $1 at any mall, instead, gives of image of being self-centered. attracts attention of passing people at night, as well as crows and most varities of fish.

and I think that's about all of it. any further questions or concerns can be directed to me any time, day or night.
    Last edited by 11sstephanie; 05-28-2007 at 04:34 PM.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

11sstephanie Thanks so much for a really good laugh before I head out for Memorial Day festivities!

I'm sure if my 14 year old son read this, he would agree with pretty much everything you have said!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I Is Stephanie

No Problem!

I don't really fit into any of those categories, if you can't tell. I flit between scene, prep, and jock on most days, never really fitting into any of those categories. It makes it very easy to get along with various social groups, without really locking myself into any one crowd.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Clothing style: like the "gothic" look mentioned above, not as much black, "gansta"--for guys only
    typically many sizes too big
    this look is charicterized by the pants, while they are perfectly good, a closer inspection will find that they start below the knees. A belt will be found, however, do not expect them to use it correctly, it is mostly there for if they "score," to make it look like they can take off a belt quickly. do not ask them to pull up their pants, to do this would require effort on their part, effort that could be better spent listening to loud rap and hip-hop music on their all-black iPods.
    Stereotypes: blacks only. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people in this group are white, have never held a gun in their life, and are terrifyed of drugs.
    Thanks for the laugh on this post, Steph!

My middle son is 15. He dressed for awhile in the above quoted style for what seemed to me like forever. He was the first boy to carry this fad to our very small town. It took a little while for it to 'pick up'. Thank God it eventually did because....my son told me, upon seeing his friends dressed like that...that they all looked pretty sloppy and stupid! He now is into the Abercrombie/American Eagle look with the layered t-shirts and jeans that actually fit and cover his ass. I'm so happy I could cry! Anything is better than knowing what underwear he is wearing today.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Clothing style: all black, with chains, "gothic" any red seeping in makes it "emo/scene"
    Typically worn too big for "goths," "emo/scene kids" will wear them too small.
    this is done to give off an air of fear, people who are extremy introverted or just hate living creatures as a whole will do this.
    I always saw this look as a way of trying to seem as anti-establishment and/or different(but not original). And then i see one of those kids with an ipod and think, who are you kidding?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always thought that the all black get-up and bizarre makeup was a way to keep other people away from them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hmmm . . . I can't find the Speedos/wife-beater/black-socks-with-sandals category. Help me, 11sstephanie! I don't know to which group I belong!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread