+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 238 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

FORT Fogey
    Designer clothes and clothing stores for kids 12 and under. This ticks me off to no end. Kids this age shouldn't have to be pulled into the peer pressures of being stylish or, even worse, sexy. I recently went to the mall and watched two spoiled girls strut around with their mom dressed to the nines swinging designer purses around their fingers. They couldn't have been more than 7-9 and they had a looks on their faces that they knew they were better than other people. It made me ill.
    For God's sake... can we please let innocent children remain that way for a few years?!!?? They'll be forced into a world of peer pressure, drugs and sex soon enough!
    JMO, of course

Michael Moore

Quote Originally Posted by candyapple
    Michael Moore
    Is it because he's a liberal or a propagandist?
    I have mixed feelings about him. I think his demogoguery, if the term fits, is cheap and unfair. On that front, he's not much better than that other famous demagogue, Rush Limbaugh. Both tell half-truths to advance their arguments.
    But after years of listening to gasbags like Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, Coulter, Ingraham, et al, use bombast, anger and self-righteousness to sway public opinion, I have to admit it's refreshing to see the left finally get its own gasbag.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by candor

I thought it was only a fad in Seattle. Do drivers in DC also merge into one lane 5 miles before it's necessary?
    Not quite 5 miles, but there is that tendency. There is also the tendency of others to cut in at the very very last second before a popular exit, causing the already long line to have to stop and become a parking lot. I turn 30 this year, and think I know why I have the 3 gray hairs I have....
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

FUBU - especially on white people

I also wish people could comprehend the purpose of a belt. I'm sick of looking at underwear, because someone doesn't know how to pull up his pants.

There's clothing that only belongs on people of a certain race?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Siryn
    The lowriders that show way too much skin. Rolls, butt-crack... ugh. Learn to buy clothes that actually flatter the shape you HAVE.
    YES! I'm glad someone finally had the courage to bring this out in the open. Lowriders are a scourge on our society. For years, jeans have showcased the beautiful female form in a way that few other garments can, and now, all women look like plumber wannabes. Even on women with "perfect" bodies, the lowriders aren't flattering, as they totally destroy the lines/curves (that I love so much). And don't get me started on overweight women who wear lowriders, especially with cutoff shirts. There should be laws against that. It's just wrong. An outrage, really.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    There's clothing that only belongs on people of a certain race?
    FUBU stands for "For Us By Us" I think LL Cool J is behind the clothing. As long as its subtle things I don't mind seeing other people where them, like jeans or shoes. But the big jerseys and that is just posing and it is really pathetic. But thats just my opinion of course

Quote Originally Posted by Clipse
    But the big jerseys and that is just posing and it is really pathetic. But thats just my opinion of course
    Kinda how I feel when I see little suburban boys appropriating Low Riders (the automobiles).
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Yes! The low-cut, bell-bottomed jeans are cruel to anyone who isn't rail thin and 6 feet tall. The rest of us just look chubby and short-legged in them.

Woah! Wait! I like to think I understand your frustration. Mine just goes the other direction.

I am rail thin and 6 feet tall. A lot of women think these jeans are all made for women my size. They're not. I'd gladly fork over a couple of hundred bucks to find a nice pair of ladies' size 6 or 8 (mostly 8 anymore) jeans with a 36" inseam. I have an extremely hard time buying jeans in stores - I can wear men's Gap jeans, but I have to special order them because apparently the only other people built like me are 15 year old boys, and I don't want my pants half-way to my knees. Well, not always. I'd love to wear a pair of low-rise, feminine-looking jeans that are not capris (but look like ill-fitting ones on me - picture two toilet-paper rolls with spaghetti sticking out the bottom! ).

I don't recall if I have ever bought a suit or nice pair of slacks off-the-rack. When I worked in an office every day, it was skirts every day. (I'll spare you the stories of jacket sleeves that don't fit my knuckle-dragging arms!) Now that I'm looking at going back to work at an office, I think I'll be hitting the men's department stores and paying for some big-time tailoring.

Again, too many words to make my point: rail thin and 6-feet tall ain't so great all the time either.

+ Reply to Thread