+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    All in the quest of a "closer spot". Ummmm-hmmm...
    OK, go ahead and laugh. My defense: it was early, I have been NPO (nothing by mouth including morning coffee) since midnight for a medical test and my fingers had a will of their own. Really.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

AmyLee: Those are ugly boots!

Mudah:
    I think it's not just the models who are dumb and don't know what they look like. They actually get paid to wear some of that stuff or get it free. We, the buying public, pay for it and get sucked into the fad and sometimes believe we actually look good in what the industry decides we should be wearing. Ack!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I watched an interesting show about Diet Fads. And the industry behind them.

It's amazing how manipulated the public is. Well, maybe just me. In most cases, the publisher of the diet book, actually owns a chain of magazines who advertise and promote the book, affiliate television stations who also promote the book, and internet sites. There is a company whose sole purpose is to listen into chat rooms and hear what the public is talking about regarding diets. They report back to huge clients in the food industry. Then the food industry packages and markets the products (many already existing) in a NEW way.

Apparently, the next diet is the Sonoma Diet. And the next guru, after Atkins is yet to be determined.

The diet industry is the only industry that actually survives because its products/services fail!

I hate diets. And diet fads.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Heh...I actually started a low-carb diet a couple of weeks ago, and I'm now a believer. The first few days were gawd-awful, but I honestly feel great now AND I've lost some weight. I basically cut out all processed foods, all white flour, pasta, and rice, and obviously no sweets or junk food. I'm kicking myself for not trying this a long time ago. I have a serious reflux condition, and my doctor was ready to send me for surgery - this new diet has also improved my problem considerably. I think the key is not to go overboard, but take the parts of the Atkins diet that make sense for your lifestyle and modify when necessary.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJ.... as long as that's a style of eating that you can keep up forever. I've never heard anyone dispute the success of Atkins, or South Beach... but the ability to make that a permanent life change is slim to none (no pun intended) and people normally gain it all right back as soon as they introduce carbs back into their diet in any capacity.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Heh...I actually started a low-carb diet a couple of weeks ago, and I'm now a believer. The first few days were gawd-awful, but I honestly feel great now AND I've lost some weight. I basically cut out all processed foods, all white flour, pasta, and rice, and obviously no sweets or junk food. I'm kicking myself for not trying this a long time ago. I have a serious reflux condition, and my doctor was ready to send me for surgery - this new diet has also improved my problem considerably. I think the key is not to go overboard, but take the parts of the Atkins diet that make sense for your lifestyle and modify when necessary.
    That is why I found the South Beach diet to be so good. It made sense. It was low carb, low fat. It emphasizes fresh fruits and veggies and low fat protiens. It avoids processed foods for the most part. When I was on that diet, I shopped the fresh produce, dairy and meat aisles and never ventured into the other parts of the store. It has a balance about it that I never found with other diets or "lifestyles". I ate a lot of fresh veggies, fish and chicken and occasionally red meat and whole grains. Much like the food pyramid tells us to do. The first few days were awful, but I found that my cravings went away and that sugar and fat made me sick to eat after a while. I still somewhat follow it, but have also had weight loss surgery so I can't really eat the sugar, breads, cereals and junk anymore anyway. I have to eat protien and veggies as I don't get to eat much. I still use my South Beach cookbooks because what my doctor wants me to concentrate on eating is very similar to the South Beach Diet and their recipes are GOOD!
    We had the most wonderful chicken last night stuffed with spinach souffle and it was EASY too. (you buy the Stouffer's frozen spinach souffle to use as the stuffing). A little lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, chic. broth and dijon mustard completed the meal and it was to die for. I would serve it to guests and they'd never know it came out of a "diet" cookbook.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    http://www.westernweddingboots.com/ladies/uniquebridalwear/images/gladiatorsandalsromansandalskn eehigh.jpg

These are singlehandedly the ugliest boots/sandals that i've ever seen. I've seen quite a few women here wearing them. Ick! This is one ugly trend.
    imagine the tan lines??

I was at the gym today, and a woman was wearing men's boxer briefs, you know the kind that are the same material as "tighty whities" but more of a boxer style? Except that she rolled the waistband so that she could hike them up so they were so short I could see she was wearing a thong underneath it.

Seriously, if this is a fashion trend I'm going to have to start duct taping my eyes closed, because it was not pretty. But I have to admit half the guys in the place couldn't take their eyes off her on the treadmill.

this is one I notice that some of the younger people are wearing.... They wear the tongue of their shoes OVER the hem of their pants. For the life of me I cant figure this one out. I've had that happen accidently, and it bugged the crap out of me. Also, giant purses you can fit a 3 year old child in comfortably. I mean, how much crap do you need to lug around with you that you need a purse THAT huge?
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    I was at the gym today, and a woman was wearing men's boxer briefs, you know the kind that are the same material as "tighty whities" but more of a boxer style? Except that she rolled the waistband so that she could hike them up so they were so short I could see she was wearing a thong underneath it.

Seriously, if this is a fashion trend I'm going to have to start duct taping my eyes closed, because it was not pretty. But I have to admit half the guys in the place couldn't take their eyes off her on the treadmill.
    goes to ace hardware dot come to buy a case of duct tape and have it shipped
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread