+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 238 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    well.. if we're gonna talk about previous patients we've had... let's talk about a fad that I hate, that I know will never ever ever go away.

SMOKING!!!!

I just don't get how this is still suppose to look cool?

I'm in my rotations currently for medical school, but I've been a paramedic for awhile. One time on my way into the hospital with a patient on a stretcher, bringing them INTO THE ER for CHEST PAIN... she asked if we could wait outside for a second while she has a smoke. I had to tell her that if she didn't have "a smoke" for the past 40 years, I wouldn't even have to be bringing her into the ER right now.
    I used to be a respiratory therapist in a VA hospital. The runners would bring the old guys to my treatment room and return for them when I was finished. They were always in wheel chairs. I would push them into the waiting room to wait and that room was always just blue with smoke.

My son is also a paramedic and has those same horror stories. Don't you sometimes feel that you're fighting a loosing battle when it seems that they WANT to die?

Indeed....

and myrosiedog?

I had a patient come in recently with chest pain (as we get a lot of that)..and I had to take him back and start and EKG on him.....I'm walking him in the treatment room and beginning to give him instructions on what I want him to do and he says to me:

"Can I go make a cell phone call outside first"?

I looked at him and flat out said "no,you may not...why would you want to....get up on this table....you can make a call to whomever later".

grrrrrrrr

I wish smoking could go away as well. I have never smoked, but from what I hear the first cigarette tastes awful. And yet people continue. Last summer it became illegal to smoke in restaurants (and pubs, clubs etc.) here in Sweden and it's so nice to spend an evening at either of this places and not come home smelling like an ashtray.

MRD
    You know, studies have shown that cigerettes are more addictive than Heroin. So some of those smokers may not be able to guit even if they wanted too.

Unless you have smoked and quit you have no idea how hard it is. YOu know it is bad for you, you know it smells bad, you know others don't like it, but its also one of the hardest things I ever did in my life. I've known drug addicts and alcoholics that said it was easier to give up the drugs and alcohol than the cigerettes.

So to just make a blanket statement that all smokers are stupid because they don't quit is naive. It's not easy to do and if you think it is, then I repeat, you've never smoked. And good for you.

But addiction is a disease whether it's alcohol, drugs, food or cigerettes and the peopel stuck in these addictions often lack the necessary tools mentally to be able to do something about it on their own. Nicotine is a substance that is highly addictive and to go without it gives you a horrible craving for it. So I can understand people who have smoked wanting one going into the hospital. It has also been proved to have a calming effect on people. So if you are scared because you had to ride in the ambulance, I can see why someone would think it would be ok to smoke. NOt saying its right, but I understand. And it IS physically addicting because of the nicotine. Your body gets a real need for the nicotine after a while and if it doesn't get it, you really do crave it and want it and don't care what it takes to get it. Just like a drug addict.

So while I am not necessarily defending smokers, I'm just saying that you should be more understanding as its not as easy as it seems to quit.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I did smoke when I was young. I stopped about the same time that I was treating the guys who were dying from emphysema. It only took about a pickup truck full of lemon drops to get me over the hump.

Occasionally I still smell a cigarette and thing "yum"! Thankfully I can hardly stand to be around them now so I am pretty sure that my addiction is under control. The runny eyes and scratchy throat just don't make it worthwhile.

So if you are scared because you had to ride in the ambulance
    Not my patients, I'm a good paramedic

I understand what you mean though myrosiedog, I just have a hard time when I'm trying to help someone... and they don't want to do it my way. I get that way too much in EMS.

Now outside of medicine... I'm glad that the world is finally making non-smokers the top priority. No one wants to go to resturants where they're in the smoking section, no one wants to stand in a crowded bar with smoke all around you, and no one wants to stay in a hotel room that used to have smokers in it.

My annoyance is just that it's cool for kids to smoke. I actually had a 16 year old patient tell me she was a smoker. I asked her why she's doing such a horrible thing, at such a young age. Her reasoning? "Well... I wanted to lose 15 lbs before prom"

I just don't understand the draw of smoking in the first place, I guess.
    I know it is hard to stop, but only once you start.

I understand the addiction of it - but the fad to start smoking in the younger generations should just die.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2 View Post
    I just don't understand the draw of smoking in the first place, I guess.
    To make you look and feel older
    To impress your peers
    To lose weight
    Because its wrong and therefore you are "bucking" the system.
    Because your parents smoke
    Because the tobacco companies continue to advertise it and make it look glamourous and so do the movies

No, none of those are good reasons, but they are part of why the younger generation smokes.

I am not defending smokers, but as long as the product is available, people are going to do it and some teens will always push the limits just like with alcohol and drugs.

And of course, no one ever thinks that lung cancer, emphysema and COPD will EVER happen to THEM.

I find alcohol more dangerous than smoking. Drunk drivers shatter lives, alcoholics ruin families, but yet they continue to sell it and serve it and the one time they tried to outlaw it, it created a huge demand for it that was bigger than the demand when it was legal.

Personally if someone wants to smoke, that's their decision and it probably won't affect me. But if someone chooses to drink and then get behind the wheel, then that is a decision that could very well affect me if that person hits me or my loved ones in an accident.

So if I had to pick, I'd say I'd rather see alcohol go away than smoking, but I know that won't be a popular statement on this board.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I am trying to quit smoking, I am a nice person, good to animals, people, my co-workers. Sometimes I feel villified that I am a smoker, people seem ok to speak to me on the street about it (I'm a nyer - don't speak to strangers!) and even not be nice about it.

It is certainly so hard to quit....right now, all I want to do is run out and buy a pack of smokes.....but I will drink my 8th bottle of water today and breathe deeply!

My pet peeve? Golf umbrellas. Do you really need to block the sidewalk?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Beerbelly, while you're going through withdrawals, everything will be your pet peeve! That part gets better after a couple of weeks though; hang in there!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread