+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 238 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    You know, just because you have a cell phone with you doesn't mean that you have to have it on at every moment, nor do you have to answer it everytime it rings. If I am waiting for an important call and I am in the company of someone important to me, I turn it off and pick up the message later (maybe excuse myself to go to the restroom). If it is a call that I have to take, I will excuse myself, get up and walk away to a private area to take the call.

What did people do before they had cell phones and felt the need to take each and every call? I'm always left with the impression that they want other people to see how important they think they are. Believe it or not, it can be good not to be 110% accessible to all calls. People need to understand that you, too, have a life!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Oh please don't get me started on cell phones. I get so irritated whenever I'm driving behind someone who's driving slowly because they're carrying on a frikkin conversation on a cell phone and they've completely forgotten that they're driving. I wish we had that headset law in my state.

Speaking of fads.... I don't mean to offend anyone here who this might apply to but I hate to see people with diamond/gold/silver plated caps/crowns on their teeth.

Another fad I can't stand is the throwback sporting gear that all the young people wear on a daily basis.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I'm proud to say that I don't own a cell phone.

I have had a few for past work purposes, but that was it. I don't ever want to be available that easily to anyone. If it's an emergency, I'll hear the message when I get home.

If it's something that's a majorly sad emergency, ie; death of family/friend/etc. The way I see it..those minutes, hours, or whatever time it took me to hear the message at home.. then, those were the very last precious moments that I had where I thought "life was all A-OK".

If that makes sense.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    I'm proud to say that I don't own a cell phone.

I have had a few for past work purposes, but that was it. I don't ever want to be available that easily to anyone. If it's an emergency, I'll hear the message when I get home.

If it's something that's a majorly sad emergency, ie; death of family/friend/etc. The way I see it..those minutes, hours, or whatever time it took me to hear the message at home.. then, those were the very last precious moments that I had where I thought "life was all A-OK".

If that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. I don't have one either. I am usually with someone that does. Hubby has one for work. And my teenager has one and that is for her protection and my peace of mind.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have one. I leave it in my car and tuned off. It is strictly for me to use in case of an emergency. I used to carry it until once we went on vacation and all three of my grown kids called before we hit the city limits. I turned it off and didn't turn it back on till I wanted to call and check on things at home. If I wanted to sit around and talk to the kids I could save money and just stay at home.

Note to all cell phoners- they are for YOUR convenience, not the people trying to reach you. Mine is for calling, not answering- unless you happen to be my teenage child calling. I NEVER answer the irritating buzzing thing EVER, unless it is a kid I gave birth to who is calling. Otherwise, leave a freakin message, I'll get back to you in order of importance! It is for MY conveniance, not yours!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Note to all cell phoners- they are for YOUR convenience, not the people trying to reach you. Mine is for calling, not answering- unless you happen to be my teenage child calling. I NEVER answer the irritating buzzing thing EVER, unless it is a kid I gave birth to who is calling. Otherwise, leave a freakin message, I'll get back to you in order of importance! It is for MY conveniance, not yours!
    HEAR HEAR!! *slapping hand on table* I tell this this to people at work all the time. It is MY personal phone for MY convenience, we have procedures in place to get in touch with me, USE THEM.

I'm in the emergency only club too. My cell phone is never turned on unless it's an emergency. I don't even give my cell number out, unless someone has pre arranged to call me at "x" time for some important reason and I know I won't be at home then. That's been maybe 3 times in five years or so!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

You guys must HATE me

I have 2 cell phones, 2 pagers, and a PDA. All of which seem like they're always going off

One cell phone is for personal, one is for work, both pagers are for work, and the PDA is my lifesaver.

I'm sorry to admit this... but sometimes I feel like I'm always on that damn cell phone. And I always do answer it, unless I'm really busy.

Also irritated by people's inability to spent time alone, ie. without their cell phone. Mr. Rattus and I do each own one, but I insisted on getting the first one the third time we broke down on the highway in rush hour and had to wait until some kind soul who DID own a cell stopped to assist us. The first one we got was a Fido which is completely useless unless you're standing right under the tower so I got one from Bell because we actually wanted to be able to use it in an emergency. I did keep the first one because it was one of those ones that put time on with a card so it wasn't a huge financial outlay. I then discovered that they were really handy for when I went downtown with Mr. Rattus because he can spend two hours puttering about in a record shop and I can't. And I can spend two hours puttering about a fabric or art supply shop and he can't. So he record shops and I wander off in search of stores that are more to my liking and when we're done one of us calls the other and says "you ready? I'll meet you at...
    ". And that's it. In the three years that I've owned the thing I've put a grand total of 30 minutes calling time on it.

And before anyone says "why don't you arrange to meet at a certain time and place" like my friend says to me, I don't want to. My life is already so full of constraints and routines and deadlines already that I don't want to have to put them in place in my free time as well. I much prefer wandering freely without my eye on the clock.

Oh yeah, Mr. Rattus is the only person on the planet with my cell phone number.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread