+ Reply to Thread
Page 236 of 238 FirstFirst ... 136186226227228229230231232233234235236237238 LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 2377

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

MRD

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3255464;
    Isn't calling it a McMansion acknowledging that it is a steaming pile of architecturally and aesthetically suspect crap? That's what the appellation always meant to me. If she is calling her home a McMansion as way of highlighting her superiority, then she is tasteless and dimwitted as well as being pretentious.
    ETA: Yes, yes, I have been called out in the past (on another site entirely) for being pretentious because I use the fancy words . However, I don't consider using fancy words to be pretentious - I consider having the ability to use the fancy words but not using them to be condescending.
    Wow, you know her too?

It's not the fancy words she uses it, but the whole tone of the letter is pretentious and condescending.

I swear I'm not reading next years.

I touched on this in my earlier post, but I am sick of seeing EVERYTHING people owned monogramed, down to the stickers in the back of their gigantic SUV's.
    Just because it's yours, doesn't mean you have to stick your initials (in fancy script) on it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Along the same lines as the monogrammed initials on everything, I'm kind of over the little stick figure families that so many people have on their vehicles. Especially when they have all the family member names posted for all to see. In this day and age where you have to be so careful with your children, it's not really safe to have your vehicle in the driveway showing the world that you have young kids and what their names are...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3255683;
    I touched on this in my earlier post, but I am sick of seeing EVERYTHING people owned monogramed, down to the stickers in the back of their gigantic SUV's.
    Just because it's yours, doesn't mean you have to stick your initials (in fancy script) on it.
    Yeah, I've always found monograms to be tacky. I might find the idea of one engraved on a cigarette case, lighter or compact to be acceptable, but monogramming your towels, glasses and/or clothing is just so gauche.
    Wow. I am such a snob .

And with the general display of wealth, I do understand that if you have a lot of money you might want to spend it on some fancy toys for yourself, but there are certain items that are so ostentatiously expensive to absolutely everyone who crosses your path that it just seems a little to blatant to display them. For example, you want a pricy watch. Everyone, and I mean everyone, know that the Rolex you are wearing cost a mint. Why not go for, say, a Vacheron-Constantin instead. People with as much money as you will appreciate it, people who are scraping by won't, and won't care.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

SRS, I hate those stick people stickers too.

Rattus, I do have a small monogramed compact which I never use. I also have a couple pieces of silver that I received as wedding gifts that are monogrammed. And a couple monogramed hankies that a great aunt did and gave me to me years ago. But personally, the whole monogram craze escapes me. Esepcially the monograms on kids dresses and toddler boy's playsuits.

I guess I'm one of those that isn't impressed by watches because quite frankly, that's not something I ever notice on anyone. I think the pretentious thing that gets to me is the $500-$1000 designer purse. Why??? I have a friend that has about $3000 worth of these purses and then complains about being broke. Personally, I'd rather have that money actually IN my purse than to have it invested IN the cost of the purse.

Maybe because to me a purse is something evil and necessary to carry all my stuff in and I couldn't give a rat's behind if that purse is a status symbol. I want a purse that is durable, roomy and inexpensive.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3255727;
    I guess I'm one of those that isn't impressed by watches because quite frankly, that's not something I ever notice on anyone. I think the pretentious thing that gets to me is the $500-$1000 designer purse. Why??? I have a friend that has about $3000 worth of these purses and then complains about being broke. Personally, I'd rather have that money actually IN my purse than to have it invested IN the cost of the purse.

Maybe because to me a purse is something evil and necessary to carry all my stuff in and I couldn't give a rat's behind if that purse is a status symbol. I want a purse that is durable, roomy and inexpensive.
    Personally I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on anything when a more moderately priced version of said item would work just as well either, though buying cheap is a false economy when you have to keep replacing the purse/watch/shoes/whatever. I will admit that I spent $200 on my watch (a Festina - half price) about ten years ago though, because I kept having to replace my watches and I like the specific rectangular shape (doesn't dig into the back of my hand while I'm cycling). To me, that was a sensible purchase since I will probably get through my entire working life with the same watch and I won't ever wear a watch again once I retire (though the Festina will probably still be working).

I do have a friend, though, who was making a lot of money a few years ago (before he lost his broker's license) who was so insecure that he had to let people he didn't know and didn't really care about know that he had the wherewithal to indulge in unimportant extravagances (I talked him out of the Rolex he desperately wanted - he got a $2,000 Tag Heuer instead ), which is a lifestyle many without the wherewithal attempt to emulate through credit. And this is a sad, sad trend that has done much to wound the world's economy and screw over those who are trying to live a sensible life within their means. It is a trend that must stop.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I saw a guy today in pink skinny jeans that were so low rise they were half way down his butt. I felt like pulling over and telling him to pull his pants up. What is with this trend? It was awful. My daughter was shocked that it was a boy, she thought he was a girl...pink jeans, ya know.

Hahah, when I was in France, I saw a group of 'tween boys (they looked really young) wearing their relatively tight jeans halfway down their butts. One of them turned in his seat and I got an eyeful of... tightie whities! I wanted to lean over and tell them that tightie whities do that trend NO favors.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3255920;
    I saw a guy today in pink skinny jeans that were so low rise they were half way down his butt. I felt like pulling over and telling him to pull his pants up. What is with this trend? It was awful. My daughter was shocked that it was a boy, she thought he was a girl...pink jeans, ya know.
    This seems to be the newest thing with guys. First it was buying girls' skinny jeans and now it's the skinny jeans and never pull them all the way up. If it's uncomfortable to wear pants that tight then get bigger pants!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3256082;
    This seems to be the newest thing with guys. First it was buying girls' skinny jeans and now it's the skinny jeans and never pull them all the way up. If it's uncomfortable to wear pants that tight then get bigger pants!
    But not TOO much bigger because I hate the big old baggy pants, too! Can't they just wear clothes that FIT???
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Apparently clothing that fits doesn't get made anywhere these kids shop!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread