+ Reply to Thread
Page 234 of 238 FirstFirst ... 134184224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238 LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2377

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

When my 30 year old daughter was a child it was the same way with Strawberry Shortcake one Christmas. I had looked high and low and couldn't find one anywhere. I casually mentioned to a sales clerk at a local department store as I was making a purchase for the wife. The clerk had bought one for her niece and found out her sister had already purchased one so she sold me the extra one she had. That made my daughter's Christmas.

My kids were all big on the Webkinz last year, but they aren't as enthralled with them this year. The bloom is off the rose, I guess. I understand them much more than the Littlest Pet Shops. Those critters are so weird looking to me. I just don't get the appeal.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3254373;
    My kids were all big on the Webkinz last year, but they aren't as enthralled with them this year. The bloom is off the rose, I guess. I understand them much more than the Littlest Pet Shops. Those critters are so weird looking to me. I just don't get the appeal.
    I have an 8 yo son and the "big thing" with he and his friends this year appears to be Bakugan. I don't understand it at all. It looks kind of like Pokemon but involves little action figure that transform into ball shapes and metal cards. I am guessing there are a lot of rules to the game and kids probably ignore them all and make up their own!!

ETA: He got a Webkinz for his birthday in June. He played with it online a few times, but the novelty wore off pretty fast for him.

My sister's girls were big into Webkinz last year. (And I think my sister became obsessed with getting them for the girls as well.) Other moms at the school would let everyone know where they got the latest "must haves." She would even notify all of us by email as to what ones she was on the lookout for.

My granddaughter, who is 5, is not at all interested in them. She'll play with them just like she would with a stuffed animal....not on the computer at all.

I remember the Cabbage Patch craze when my older kids were little. I can remember coworkers being absolutely frantic trying to find them for their little ones. I knew someone who worked at the plant that made them, so I just placed an order with him and got the redheaded one for my daughter that I just had to have!

The fad that you have to spend tons of money for Christmas. Has anyone seen the clip of the Today show on MSNBC.com of the family that makes less than $44,000 a year, has 5 kids, owns one home outright, second home is almost paid for and has ZERO credit card debt? I want to be that family!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3254357;
    When my 30 year old daughter was a child it was the same way with Strawberry Shortcake one Christmas. I had looked high and low and couldn't find one anywhere. I casually mentioned to a sales clerk at a local department store as I was making a purchase for the wife. The clerk had bought one for her niece and found out her sister had already purchased one so she sold me the extra one she had. That made my daughter's Christmas.

Unklescott
    - My daughter will be 30 in January, ( how did that happen?) and I remember getting her a Strawberry Shortcake doll for Christmas too. She also had a Strawberry Shortcake comforter and sheets for her bed.

That's a nice story about the clerk. I wonder if she remembers saving your Christmas?

MRD

Doxie, from what you've told me about the nephew, I was not surprised to hear he's getting the skunk.

The fad I'm over is the over the top, pretentious bragging BS Christmas newsletter. Now before you all jump on me and say that the annual family newsletter is a why to keep up with family and friends, I agree.
    What I don't agree with is the newsletters that are so braggy, they make you feel like your own family deserves the dysfunctional family of the year award and you should go slit your wrists after having to have read that junk.
    I got one today from a family member and it was 3 PAGES long complete with photos accompanying every pretentious bragging paragraph. My husband has refused to even read them anymore. He hasn't in years. I don't know why I torture myself with them except to think that possibly this year, she might have gotten some humility and done away with the vomit inducing sugary sweet crap that has to be mostly made up. NO ONE can have that fabulous of a life. (and what's the deal in dressing your toddlers in monogramed outfits? I've seen that more this year than I care to see. I don't understand the current craze of putting your initials on everything you own including your children.)

No, I'm not a scrooge, but believe me, if I posted this letter, you'd all feel the same way I do about them or about this particular family member. And to top it all off, every single builder in Georgia has gone out of business except for her husband. She really says this. Well not exactly, but she says that they are SO lucky to still be in business when all of their friends have gone out of business this year and that they are one of the "VERY few builders still plying their trade." Yes, she used "plying".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I had one person who used to do that every year and when I moved, I didn't send them my new address!
    Yup, with donuts!!

The letters can be annoying, but my cousin does one every year that I can't wait for. She should be a comedian. The year she was pregnant it was from two points of view...mom and the rest of the family. Lots of talk of demon possessed mom making kids clean and the like. I love her letters.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3254908;
    I had one person who used to do that every year and when I moved, I didn't send them my new address!
    Hey, I did the same thing . Actually, I can't stand any of those "newsletter" type things. Fair enough if you want to let everyone know your annual doings, but with pretty much every household having a computer, it's easy enough to put together something that resembles a personal letter and customize the greeting for each individual it's going out to. If you don't care to take the time to do at least that, then you don't really care about the recipients' reaction. And if you don't care about the recipients' reactions, then you should just leave them the hell alone.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread