+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

FORT Fogey

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3250884;
    Sorry for veering off the "Current Fads" course, but about this, yeah. I joined the Weight Watchers group at work and at this week's meeting I said that over the Christmas week I would essentially be suspending my points counting for the most part. Half the room literally gasped in horror, and then started telling tales of people who never, ever lost the weight they gained over Christmas. BS, I say. My take on WW is that it is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. As far as I'm concerned, a lifestyle means that I can have my once yearly brie, paté, escargot, mushroom puffs and nachos (okay, the nachos are twice yearly) without going into a guilt-ridden tailspin. Making do with one cracker with brie and one with paté is a diet, not a lifestyle option. I plan to keep on course with the essentials of WW, but I'm done with the meetings. That crazy diet cult mentality of the meetings was really getting on my nerves.

I have lost twelve pounds in the six weeks I've been on it, without resorting to sugar substitutes or all the processed WW food, so I think I'll be okay.

A friend of mine went on WW and was adamant that it was the only way. She always carried a fake cheese sandwich on thin bread in her purse. We met for lunch one day and she ate her sandwich in the ladies room of the restaurant and ordered salad with no dressing and black coffee at the table. She then proceeded to convince me that I should join. I told her that I didn't like eating in toilet stalls.

Good one! My NSV is that I was able to go up and down the basement stairs multiple times with armloads of wood to keep the woodstove going while our electricity was out. Ever since my knee injury last spring, I've avoided going down those stairs with anything in my arms and have not gotten back to a level of exercise I was at before. But these last two days have been a good thigh and butt workout, not to mention the arms lifting the wood. I feel like I've turned a corner and can start getting back on a more adventurous exercise routine than swimming and weights.
    -Oops! I swear I was in the NSV thread.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3251009;
    A friend of mine went on WW and was adamant that it was the only way. She always carried a fake cheese sandwich on thin bread in her purse. We met for lunch one day and she ate her sandwich in the ladies room of the restaurant and ordered salad with no dressing and black coffee at the table. She then proceeded to convince me that I should join. I told her that I didn't like eating in toilet stalls.
    Actually WW teaches you how to eat out in restuarants so you don't have to carry a cheese sandwich and eat in toilet stalls. WW is a great program and sensible (like Rattus mentioned the meetings can be a little much) and you can plan your day accordingly so you can eat out and have more than a naked salad and a secret sandwich in the bathroom.

If this is how she's managing it, she needs to go back to the meetings (they can do some good for people. )

I too don't think people should worry overly much about pigging out on the holidays. It's once a year. Or it should be, so why not enjoy some of the stuff you don't get to have the rest of the year. I think you can enjoy yourself with more than one brie cracker, but without eating 3 dozen Christmas cookies in one sitting too.
    So during December, eat oatmeal for breakfast and salad for lunch and then you can attend those Christmas parties on the weekend and pig out and not do a lot of harm.

I actually know a couple that eat very consciously during the week. But on the weekends, they enjoy themselves. They have both said it works for them as they don't gain weight and they know on Mon. that Fri. night isn't that far away for a special treat.

Moderation is the key and moderation doesn't mean you eat the veggie tray and have one cracker of brie at the party.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

A friend and I have done ww online and skip the meeting. I am not one who needs to have someone pep me up. We do the points and with points for exercise find we are able to eat out and not feel like we are missing anything. We walk around the building during lunch about 5 times and walk on the weekends. Alot of times I still have points to play with.

I only did WW online. I am not the greatest socializer and going to meetings would have made my anxiety go crazy. I did really well with points and working out as well.
    Yup, with donuts!!

We're slipping off topic here folks. The pros and cons of Weight Watchers can be continued in the Koffee Klatch thread if you're interested or you can join our Chub Club if you're looking for support. FYI I'll be adding a comment about WW in the KK thread.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3251009;
    Awww, that makes me feel sad.

Anyway, i was almost surprised that even in this economy, people are going all out with their decorations.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3251629;
    Anyway, i was almost surprised that even in this economy, people are going all out with their decorations.
    Nothing wrong with putting out all your decorations and enjoying the season. The holidays aren't all about money and presents. Plus, I know that to me there isn't a dang thing I can do about the economy and dwelling on it just makes me miserable so I try to be happy any way I can. Actually, not buying as much this year makes it more enjoyable...less stress.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3251650;
    Nothing wrong with putting out all your decorations and enjoying the season. The holidays aren't all about money and presents. Plus, I know that to me there isn't a dang thing I can do about the economy and dwelling on it just makes me miserable so I try to be happy any way I can. Actually, not buying as much this year makes it more enjoyable...less stress.
    I feel the same way.

About the decorations: I already have that stuff so why not use it? It does make me feel a bit cheerier. I think I'd be more depressed if I hadn't decorated.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Now that we are definitely having dinner the day after Christmas at my family's house I feel obligated to get gifts. This is a fad I wish would go away. No one should feel pressured into buying something for the holidays, especially since they all make far more money than I do. I think I'm going to go green and buy them all something made eco-friendly or recycled. It may take some digging, but I want to get people useful items this year.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread