+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3250708;
    I hate the ads at the end of the show where they fill up the bulk of the space and squish the credits into one tiny, unreadable (even with a 40" screen, it turns out) corner. That means I have to go IMDB whatever I was watching to find out who played the killer and where have I seen him before (oh, of course, that's Peter Stormare - he's the one who fed Steve Buscemi into the woodchipper). It's not like I have...okay, I do have to the time to do this, what with having no life and all, but I don't want to have to get off the couch unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Rattus - that's my sentiment exactly; which is one of the reasons I'm so glad my ex gave me the laptop 2 years ago! I hadn't wanted one, but now I can't do without it.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Rattus I do that too!

Does anyone else have the problem when they are watching a show in HD and the local affiliate blips in for a second to put a scrolling ad or weather update at the bottom of the screen for a moment? Suddenly the show blinks and gets smaller on the screen. It also causes it to back up for just long enough that a few words or a whole line of dialogue repeat. Then when it blips back to HD yup, it skips over some so we always end up losing words here and there.

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP *shakes fist*
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3250728;
    Rattus - that's my sentiment exactly; which is one of the reasons I'm so glad my ex gave me the laptop 2 years ago! I hadn't wanted one, but now I can't do without it.
    I got my old laptop from work when we upgraded and we tried to set up wireless, but Mr. Rattus and I are hopelessly incompetent when it comes to technical matters. However, I can use it as a portable DVD player so it's not completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3250747;
    Does anyone else have the problem when they are watching a show in HD and the local affiliate blips in for a second to put a scrolling ad or weather update at the bottom of the screen for a moment?
    Yes. I'm shaking my fist right along with you
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3250708;
    I hate the ads at the end of the show where they fill up the bulk of the space and squish the credits into one tiny, unreadable (even with a 40" screen, it turns out) corner. That means I have to go IMDB whatever I was watching to find out who played the killer and where have I seen him before (oh, of course, that's Peter Stormare - he's the one who fed Steve Buscemi into the woodchipper). It's not like I have...okay, I do have to the time to do this, what with having no life and all, but I don't want to have to get off the couch unless it's absolutely necessary.
    I hate that too and how if it's a tv show, the next week's coming scenes are also squished up in the corner. I like to know what's coming up.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We have one local station, I think it's an NBC affiliate, that does that with school closings when we have winter storms. Puts the show in a smaller box and then continuously runs the school closings across the bottom. Fine, people need to know that school is closed or 2 hours late or whatever. But do they have to do it for hours at a time? It's not like people around here aren't used to storms and know where they have to go to find out about closings and road conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3250837;
    We have one local station, I think it's an NBC affiliate, that does that with school closings when we have winter storms. Puts the show in a smaller box and then continuously runs the school closings across the bottom. Fine, people need to know that school is closed or 2 hours late or whatever. But do they have to do it for hours at a time? It's not like people around here aren't used to storms and know where they have to go to find out about closings and road conditions.
    Our NBC affiliate does that also. It seems like the box that they put the show in is relatively small. I always wonder if they really need to dedicate that much of the screen to the cancellation list.

FORT Fogey

Okay, I am so done with this. I NEVER ventured out of the TV threads but I have been driven here. TV morning shows, talk shows, 11pm pinhead news and whoever the frick decides to do this must be eliminated. NOW. Stop giving us advice on how not to gain weight over the holidays. Stop saying to go for the crudite platter instead of the fois gras, melted brie or everthing else we only get at this damned holiday. How much weight can someone possibly gain?! Just eat what you choose and cut back in January. How hard can that be and how bad can it get? People do not put on hundreds of pounds. Deal with the 5lbs you may gain if you fall face first in the eggnog and can't get up, for cryin' out loud. Okay, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3250775;
    I got my old laptop from work when we upgraded and we tried to set up wireless, but Mr. Rattus and I are hopelessly incompetent when it comes to technical matters. However, I can use it as a portable DVD player so it's not completely useless.

Yes. I'm shaking my fist right along with you
    Ah, but you see - THIS is why I have my son! It is his responsibility to come over and "fix" anything that needs "fixin'". My best friend uses him, too. I really should rent him out....
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3250857;
    Okay, I am so done with this. I NEVER ventured out of the TV threads but I have been driven here. TV morning shows, talk shows, 11pm pinhead news and whoever the frick decides to do this must be eliminated. NOW. Stop giving us advice on how not to gain weight over the holidays. Stop saying to go for the crudite platter instead of the fois gras, melted brie or everthing else we only get at this damned holiday. How much weight can someone possibly gain?! Just eat what you choose and cut back in January. How hard can that be and how bad can it get? People do not put on hundreds of pounds. Deal with the 5lbs you may gain if you fall face first in the eggnog and can't get up, for cryin' out loud. Okay, done.
    Sorry for veering off the "Current Fads" course, but about this, yeah. I joined the Weight Watchers group at work and at this week's meeting I said that over the Christmas week I would essentially be suspending my points counting for the most part. Half the room literally gasped in horror, and then started telling tales of people who never, ever lost the weight they gained over Christmas. BS, I say. My take on WW is that it is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. As far as I'm concerned, a lifestyle means that I can have my once yearly brie, paté, escargot, mushroom puffs and nachos (okay, the nachos are twice yearly) without going into a guilt-ridden tailspin. Making do with one cracker with brie and one with paté is a diet, not a lifestyle option. I plan to keep on course with the essentials of WW, but I'm done with the meetings. That crazy diet cult mentality of the meetings was really getting on my nerves.

I have lost twelve pounds in the six weeks I've been on it, without resorting to sugar substitutes or all the processed WW food, so I think I'll be okay.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3250884;
    I plan to keep on course with the essentials of WW, but I'm done with the meetings. That crazy diet cult mentality of the meetings was really getting on my nerves.
    I had the same experience with those meetings! I hate the dogma, but I love the diet. Starting Jan. 2!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread