+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3249578;
    He said, "they don't do that with a person standing right there staring at them!"
    They do here. I work in an emergency room and there are people who presumably require urgent medical attention yet don't put down their cell phones while speaking to the triage nurse about their condition, or when we're trying to register them in order to make up their chart.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3249197;
    I'd like to slip a CD of the 1812 Overture into those cars, and watch heads explode when the artillery goes off.
    ! I love it!!!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

My daughter will have her earbuds in an then start to talk to us. LOUDLY. I refuse to answer unless she takes then out. She did this in the car last night and I said to my husband: "I hate when she does that". From the backseat: "I heard you".

But it's so annoying and other people do it too. Overcompensate for the fact that they are wearing headphones.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Good point! I learned to "undercompensate" for my music when it was on, to the point where I felt like I was whispering, but I really wasn't. Nobody ever said, "Speak up!", or "Not so loud!"
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I reaaaaaally wish that the television powers that be would stop playing commercials at twice the volume of the tv show I am watching. I'm throwing this into the "fad" category because I know that it did not used to be this way!!
    I have started muting the tv when it changes to commercial just so I don't have to constantly turn it up and down.

ClosetRTWatcher you are so correct! It is so annoying and completely unnecessary! I have muted the commercials for years now or I just change the channel to another show.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3250079;
    Not sure if this has been brought up, but I reaaaaaally wish that the television powers that be would stop playing commercials at twice the volume of the tv show I am watching. I'm throwing this into the "fad" category because I know that it did not used to be this way!!
    I have started muting the tv when it changes to commercial just so I don't have to constantly turn it up and down.
    What is with this? It's insane. It's compounded by the fact that some shows seem to have an oddly low volume, so when you compensate for that by turning the volume up, you get smacked in the face with a commercial screaming at you. Makes no sense.

I wonder if they feel we'll be bullied into getting their product if they are screaming at us. The worst is those Billy Mayes commercials.....he's already screaming and then the volume is louder to make it seem as though he's in your face! Yuck!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I've always assumed they did it because during commercials is when people tend to get up and leave the room (snack, pee, slipper fetching, whatever). That way, while you've got your head buried in the freezer rooting around for that last Haagen Daaz bar, you can hear them hollering about their love for those disgusting bowls o' heart attack that KFC is using to offload their leftovers with.
    Last edited by Rattus; 12-12-2008 at 01:40 PM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I think enforced Christmas presents for co-workers should stop. If your co-worker is a friend, by all means exchange gifts in private, but I really don't think it's right when there is the Must Buy Exchange lunch or whatever and no-one is really all that comfortable with it. Some gifts turn out to be joke gifts, some nice gifts, and some just in poor taste. Also, these days, I don't know that many people who have extra money to buy gifts for work exchanges anymore. Especially when they set the price limit to, oh, only $25 or so!

Ooops. Guess this should go in the other thread.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread