+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3249177;

What I hate is when they have their car stereos blasting so loud that the bass literally rattles the windows.
    I'd like to slip a CD of the 1812 Overture into those cars, and watch heads explode when the artillery goes off.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I actually do listen to my music that loud. But I usually turn it down when I'm in traffic or driving through a densely populated village area because I'm embarrased

I listen to my favority symphonies in the car loud enough that if it were Hip hop or rock my mirror would be rattling *blush* I like to physically feel the music. It makes me feel like I'm right there seeing it in person!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What really bugs me about the music noise blasting is that if an emergency vehicle, with a siren on approaches, they may not hear it. Wouldn't be the first time somebody has been "taken out" like that. Ambulances, fire trucks, and police cars can be very unforgiving.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;3249085;
    Or something silimar:
    On the bus/train, listening to your own MP3-player and hearing the music of someone else's player much better. That's what I get for being nice (to those around me and my ears) and keeping the volume low.
    Yup, I swear my iPod isn't so much an entertainment device but a means of self defense. I do not need to hear 's latest hit for the entire duration of my 30 minute subway ride to work, or the slurping and starry-eyed cooing of a pair of new teenage lovers, or a recap of the current high school gossip. If the iPod doesn't drown it out completely, at least it takes the edge off.

I actually won't listen to headphones on mass transit or even walking around. I don't think it's safe to completely block out the sounds around you. But I put the buds in and pretend I'm listening so that people won't talk to me... *shh* Don't tell

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3248733;
    I think they make people look like hybrid-somethings. Yeti, maybe?
    I'm showing my age, but I remember Cher wearing a white pair of those hairy boots back when it was Sonny and Cher. They were ugly then too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3249234;
    I actually won't listen to headphones on mass transit or even walking around. I don't think it's safe to completely block out the sounds around you. But I put the buds in and pretend I'm listening so that people won't talk to me... *shh* Don't tell

I used to do that in the morning time at work (when I wasn't up for the usual inane, banal conversation) when I wasn't feeling, particularly, social or chatty! It is amazing what you will hear when people think you aren't listening. Sounds like everything old is new again!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I guess I'm incurably nosy, but I actually like listening to other people's conversations . It's all part of the people-watching package. I could live without the people on the streetcar calling home on their cellphones and telling someone, presumably at home, that they had just got on and would be home in ten minutes. If they wait ten minutes, they can let them know in person. Plus, if they're calling their kids, they can surprise them instead - never a bad thing.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My husband saw that hearing device at the store and really wanted to buy it. He always mutes the tv when people are out in the courtyard to listen to what they are saying. I told him one day you will hear something you really don't want to and you'll stop!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3249324;
    I guess I'm incurably nosy, but I actually like listening to other people's conversations . It's all part of the people-watching package. I could live without the people on the streetcar calling home on their cellphones and telling someone, presumably at home, that they had just got on and would be home in ten minutes. If they wait ten minutes, they can let them know in person. Plus, if they're calling their kids, they can surprise them instead - never a bad thing.
    My husband works just over 1 mile from home and I make him call and tell me every night when he's on his way home. I also make him call and tell me if he's going to be delayed even for as little as 15 or 20 minutes... We sit down at the dinner table together every night, and because the timeframe between when we eat and when the boys go to bed is fairly small I need to time when I prepare the food quite perfectly (depending on what it is we are having and when he will be there) The window for his arrival sometimes varries by over a half an hour depending on whether or not he has customers who just.won't.leave. Or if he has to make any deliveries on the way home.
    If I had. Sometimes I *need* to tell the boys "Daddy is on his way home! Watch out the window and see if you can see him coming!" They like to be the first to see him, and I can use the time to do something that would probably be dangerous or messy to do being tugged on by 2 rowdy boys.

+ Reply to Thread