+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3246856;
    I now carry a small tape measure as the city passed an ordinace that you can't smoke except for 10 feet from a building entrance. I got busted by a cop (I swear I could have been smoking pot and got in less trouble) because he said I was not 10 feet.
    That's too funny. I work for a company that just went smoke-free on all of its property, so now people have to stand on the sidewalk to smoke. In Seattle, smokers have to stay 25 feet away from the entrance, which is impossible in the dense part of town. One person told me she was smoking in her car, and a passing bicyclist pretended to wave the smoke away and was fake coughing. I guess smoke from one cigarette is worse than emissions from 2,000 cars.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3246859;
    At first I read this and I was like "meh, whatever.." but then I really read it again and I thought "REALLY?! Really? You need to take a BOOK to a DANCE CLUB? Just stay home and read!" And I dunno about the clubs where you are, but we're not allowed to bring our own drinks into ours, even water.
    Yes, I need to take a book. I don't drive, and even if I did, I wouldn't drive to a club. So I take transit. I'm not spending half an hour on transit without something to read.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would be annoyed by what I'm carrying unless I'm carrying a weapon, but as you say, meh, whatever.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I don't care what *you* take with you.
    But when the people I am out with have to spend half their nights looking for somewhere to stash their purses so they won't get taken, then the other half checking on it... well they might as well have brought a puppy
    It's been nearly 10 years since I've lived anywhere with mass transit, I hadn't considered that factor.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And if they get their purses snatched by degenerate muggers, the muggers will get their backs thrown out by the weight of the purses, and then they'll come back and really beat them up!

Interesting thought.....going clubbing via mass transit.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It makes sense, you know, so no one has to be the DD *ug that's always meeee

Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I now carry a small tape measure as the city passed an ordinace that you can't smoke except for 10 feet from a building entrance. I got busted by a cop (I swear I could have been smoking pot and got in less trouble) because he said I was not 10 feet.
    I wish I could do that to mark off the bus/trolley stops -- in San Diego, the ordinance is no smoking within 25 feet of a public transit stop or station. I hate breathing in secondhand smoke -- especially as it causes asthmatic reactions which I have to deal with all night and often into the next day -- so the farther away, the better. It's bad enough when someone brings his/her dog or cat (allergic to them, too -- and I'd like to strangle every moron that claims that his/her fuzz/danderball is "hypoallergenic" -- b***s***; no such thing!) to the café where I meet my students (seems to me there is or should be a restaurant health ordinance here anyway), but coupled with secondhand smoke, I end up with the type of lung pain I've had with pneumonia. (Others with similar allergy-triggered asthma told me of their similar experiences.)
    Last edited by Ellen; 12-07-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3246894;
    But when the people I am out with have to spend half their nights looking for somewhere to stash their purses so they won't get taken, then the other half checking on it... well they might as well have brought a puppy
    That is freakin' hysterical.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3246955;
    That is freakin' hysterical.
    But true. I think CN and I have the same friends. I hate the constant: "will you watch my purse?" questions. I want to say: "watch it do what?"

Ellen, if I can carry a TM to prove I'm in the legal smoking zone, then I don't see why you can't do it to prove they aren't.
    BTW, I NEVER smoke around people in public. If I am downtown and I want to smoke, I will walk way away from other people to light up AND be the required 10 feet from an entrance. My only peeve is that when I make the effort to step far away from everyone to smoke and then someone comes close to me and then makes a remark about me smoking. I want to say: "I'm standing in the middle of this flowerbed in the road median so I DON'T bother you with my smoke". Well not quite that bad, but I have gone and stood in parking lots or other out of the way places and have someone come by and complain.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-07-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3246900;
    Interesting thought.....going clubbing via mass transit.
    Actually, I am truly surprised that anyone would drive to go clubbing. But I live near the centre of a large city with a good transit system and no one drives to go clubbing. I think some of the 905ers (that would be our equivalent to the bridge-and-tunnel set) drive part way into the city and take transit the rest of the way, but most of us can hop on the streetcar or subway and be downtown in half an hour or less without the hassle of dealing with Parkway traffic or exorbitant parking fees. Plus, we can drink if we want to - always a plus .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Haha well, I live out in the country. It's a pretty far out area, but there are 2 colleges in the center of town within walking distance to almost every bar. So the middle of the village crew and students can walk, or get on the waiting list to take one of our 2 taxies. Or like me, you can drive That's why husband and I take turns being the intoxicated one when we go together. When I'm alone, I stay sober

+ Reply to Thread