+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current fads you wish would die off today...

Re: Current fads you wish would die off today...

I don't buy a purse unless I'm positive I can get the necessities (wallet, keys, cell phone, etc) and STILL have room for a thick paperback. I have been known to take the purse over to the book section at Target and make sure the book fits! My family think I'm nuts... of course, they are right but it has nothing to do with the book/purse situation.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3246738;
    And because I have the bag, I'm the go-to girl for safety pins, bandaids, Advil, nail file and a pair of mini-pliers.
    MacGyver would be so proud of you.

I've never carried mini-pliers, but I've been known to carry a miniature tape measure and a mini-can of WD40 (I hate things that squeak! I sprayed the front door hinges at our school once). Right now I have a little yellow purse I got for summer, but I'm ready to switch over to a bigger black bag for winter. Oh - and I always have a toy to distract a crying child. I got that one from my grandmother. So count me in with one of those annoying people who always has a stocked purse. This is how annoying I am - I've edited this twice now - don't forget a small book of Sudoku puzzles for unexpected waits!
    Count your blessings!

I carry a little tape measure in my purse also, and a flashlight. But I do not haul my bag into bars, amusement parks, and so forth, but leave it in te trunk of my car.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Right, I forgot the tape measure. I always carry one of those because you never know when you will be passing a yard sale with some interesting looking furniture and need to check sizes against those listed in your note book of important info (also always in the bag, along with a pen). And because I don't drive, everything comes with me wherever I go. The flashlight is attached to my keys, so it's a given it's always with me.

Also, I always carry a large nylon draw-string bag that can be worn as a backpack with me. I made it to roll up really small and I never take plastic bags when I'm shopping. It's excellent for carrying stones and assorted natural detritus that might be picked up on a walk along Second Marsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3246755;
    I don't buy a purse unless I'm positive I can get the necessities (wallet, keys, cell phone, etc) and STILL have room for a thick paperback. I have been known to take the purse over to the book section at Target and make sure the book fits! My family think I'm nuts... of course, they are right but it has nothing to do with the book/purse situation.
    Nothing nuts about it. Any purse I own has to be able to accommodate all the things I've noted (plus cell phone and glasses case), so I won't buy one unless I can transfer the book and the water bottle I always carry into the new one, and still have plenty of room.
    Last edited by Rattus; 12-07-2008 at 09:25 AM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I have a small cylindrical metal whistle on my key chain and keep my car keys and other keys on two different crampons that I clip to the metal ring on the outside of my purse so I don't have to dig for keys. Talk about annoying fads! I'm sure people have heard me jingling by and thought I was a little crazy.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3246422;
    Ohmygosh, I just read back...and I absolutely adore NPR (and PBS). I've never heard some of those shows mentioned.

My faves are "All Things Considered" (of course!) and I truly love the Sunday morning show, the name escapes me, but it's produced by Ira. That show is beyond brilliant.

And I am proud to say that I was in the audience for a "Prairie Home Companion" show, in the dead of winter in MN. It was wonderful (of course!).
    We're going to see Garrison Keillor in March. I can't wait. LOVE Prairie Home Companion. I also listen to Walter Edgars Journal which is about SC. He's great. We watch a lot of PBS too.

The current fad I'm like to see end is the people that inch up in traffic to keep someone else from being able to pull out of a parking lot or driveway. You're waiting for the light to change, is it really going to hurt you all that much to allow someone out?

I carry a fairly large bag on a daily basis too. But when I got out (we went to the very crowded Christmas parade last night and I didn't want to keep up with a purse in that crowd either), I put my ID, my debit card and cash in my pocket. I leave the makeup at home always. I carry lip gloss only in my purse and a small brush.
    But when I'm in a crowd or in a bar that I know I will be dancing, I forego the purse too. I don't want to have to spend the evening worry about it's safety.

I now carry a small tape measure as the city passed an ordinace that you can't smoke except for 10 feet from a building entrance. I got busted by a cop (I swear I could have been smoking pot and got in less trouble) because he said I was not 10 feet. I was fairly sure I was, but neither one could prove it. Now I carry a tape measure and have been known to measure off 10 feet to smoke so I don't get in trouble. petty and stupid, maybe. But Hey, I smoke and I have rights too and I want to stay within the law.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-07-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3246738;
    Sorry, ClosetNerd, I know this will piss you off, but I never go anywhere without a book and a bottle of water, so I need the big bag. And since I've got the bag, I might as well bring the camera (also always with me) and the lightweight pashmina in case of extreme air conditioning or evening temperature drop. And because I have the bag, I'm the go-to girl for safety pins, bandaids, Advil, nail file and a pair of mini-pliers. Somebody's got to carry all this crap for the rest of the crowd and the person who didn't bring a bag always asks me for something..
    At first I read this and I was like "meh, whatever.." but then I really read it again and I thought "REALLY?! Really? You need to take a BOOK to a DANCE CLUB? Just stay home and read!" And I dunno about the clubs where you are, but we're not allowed to bring our own drinks into ours, even water.

eta: I have no issue with people who lug around their lives during the day. I have 2 toddlers, I have to be prepared for anything! My quarrel was specifically with the women who bring everything they own to a club/bar. For me, the more things to carry, the more things to lose, break or get stolen from you once you add alcohol.
    Last edited by ClosetNerd; 12-07-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Do any of you ladies see yourselves in Erykah Badu's song Bag Lady? And what happens if your bag/purse gets snatched and you lose all of that "precious crapola"? Bless all of your little pea-pickin' hearts! I'd rather eat ground glass than carry a purse.....period! My water bottle has its own strapped carrier, and the book belongs in my hand. My purse is usually relegated to the car, as often as possible. The last thing I want to be doing is keeping up with extra crap.

There is a 6th grader at the community center who carries a small handbag everyday and everywhere, along with a violin case, and a backpack. I've started calling her the crazy church lady. I'm all about simplicity; life is crazy enough.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

phroshay that's too funny!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread